Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxwell nVidia chips GM204 GM206 & put tape out back for 28nm manufacturing

Xtreme Member

Maxwell nVidia chips GM204 GM206 & put tape out back for 28nm manufacturing

Last edited by SinOfLiberty; 04-25-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I'm going to wait for 20nm.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Member
    It should this summer too.

I am Xtreme
    Will be pretty big and expensive chips, then.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    just like I said sometime close to a year ago, Maxwell 20 nm wont be ready till late this year at best
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    just like I said sometime close to a year ago, Maxwell 20 nm wont be ready till late this year at best
    I'm hearing speculation that without FinFET, 20nm is almost useless for high end parts, AMD and Nvidia might just hold out for the next node (16nm at TSMC) as that will have FinFET as standard. The reasoning is that Intel went with FinFET for 22nm and they've not really been able to show significant clock growth, and maybe the clock situation would have been much worse without it.

This may be why the strongest GM204 rumours are pointing at a 28nm chip, and all the 20nm rumours seem so vague.

Xtreme Member
    Harry Luan of Kilopass, in an interview (nov 2013), said: "Assuming foundry shuttles are available when required, the process takes between nine and 12 months to complete from tapeout to packaged die to first-lot, second-lot, and third-lot qualification. The three lots are staged through the fab at least one week apart from each other" ( http://electronicdesign.com/dev-tool...ign-challenges ). If the first tape out has started now, we have to wait 12 months to see these GPUs on the market (a GPU is more complex than a SoC).

Xtreme Member
    Considering that Pedant One talked about the real Maxwell coming later in date, I don't think it can be made of 28nm as what would differenciate it from the 1st gen Maxwell, as 28nm cant bring more to the table in terms of performance, but only power efficiency which is not for high end gpu market, at least in 1st place

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    Considering that Pedant One talked about the real Maxwell coming later in date, I don't think it can be made of 28nm as what would differenciate it from the 1st gen Maxwell, as 28nm cant bring more to the table in terms of performance, but only power efficiency which is not for high end gpu market, at least in 1st place
    Performance = power efficiency. At a given TDP you can get more performance. Of course that only holds true if Nvidia and AMD don't increase power consumption further and further but keep certain levels (~250W for high end).

Xtreme Addict
    That article is based on a rumor coming from a guy in their forums. No basis in reality.

Here is actual information straight from TSMC themselves.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d..._Progress.html

Also, TSMC made the following statement at their Q1 stockholders meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by TSMC
    We have two fabs, fab 12 and fab 14 that complete the core of the 20nm-SoC. As a matter of fact, we have started production. We are in the [high]-volume [20nm] production as we speak right now,” said C. C. Wei, co-chief executive officer and co-president of TSMC, during a conference call with investors and financial analysts

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Good find, Andrew LB.

We should definitely have at least a few 20nm cards. GM 200 here I come!

Xtreme Guru
    Do we have any official statements from Nvidia? I'm willing to wait until December if I have to, but I want a new card that will last me a long time (and 28 nm cards just run too hot for my liking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Do we have any official statements from Nvidia? I'm willing to wait until December if I have to, but I want a new card that will last me a long time (and 28 nm cards just run too hot for my liking).
    New cards will arrive in summer.

Bigger Question people have is what they will be made of.

Xtreme Guru
    New cards will arrive in summer.

Bigger Question people have is what they will be made of.
    I was hoping dark chocolate.
    #HaveYourGFXCardAndEatItToo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    hmmmmm Chocolate

Xtreme Member
    I want one made of ice cream, since I want it to run cool!!!
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    I want one made of ice cream, since I want it to run cool!!!
    Mint chocolate chip? Wink wink .

Xtreme Member
    But seriously, who is opting for an upgrade to 800 series when they are released?!

Xtreme Addict
    But seriously, who is opting for an upgrade to 800 series when they are released?!
    If I go for a 4k monitor, definitely.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Then if you stay with your current monitor , you are keeping the current gen cards? Or will the performance/price of the next gen play a factor in the decision making?

Xtreme Addict
    Then if you stay with your current monitor , you are keeping the current gen cards? Or will the performance/price of the next gen play a factor in the decision making?
    Nah, I don't feel I need more performance for 2560x1440 110hz than my current 1.2ghz gtx 780 acx ftw. If I turn down AA a little and shaders one notch, looking 95% identical, I get great performance.

Xtreme Member
    Yea, 780 is def a great card that will last a few years down the road with some settings turned off.

Although, I know, I am gonna be jumping on next gen when it comes out There will be more revealed as we slowly approach the release!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    If it is the GM204 chip it'll probably be 256bit memory bus again, which means 32 ROPs and a 1080p performance sweet spot, it'll be fast as hell at that resolution especially if the game is shader heavy, but it'll struggle with a 4k monitor.

I am Xtreme
    GDDR6 can't come soon enough.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    GDDR6 can't come soon enough.
    If it comes...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast