Thread: CPU for Gamers : 30 CPUs compared

CPU for Gamers : 30 CPUs compared

I tested & measured gaming performances of "all" properly-existing CPUs in the market. Criterion for determining 'properly-existing' is that, a product shouldn't be being replaced by latter SKU at the same price level(ex: IVB is replaced by Haswell). Hope that could help those who are considering buying or upgrading one's gaming machine. Here we start.

Test system is composed as follow:
    (+VGA : GF GTX780Ti)

Since the host provider (of my blog) consider sudden traffic increment as an abusing, I'm going to upload the summary part of all results only.

Here's the performance summary at 1680 x 1050 resolution. The former one emphasizes just a sum of framerates of all games while the latter one implies average relative performance of each CPU. Of course the latter one is more important.

Here's for 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Here's for 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Well, the article is over. Thanks for reading this.
    Have a nice day!
    Last edited by DGLee; 04-22-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    My Blog: http://udteam.tistory.com

CPU: AMD FX-8150P
    Cooler: Antec KÜHLER H2O 920
    M/B: ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
    RAM: Samsung DDR3 PC3-10600 4GB x 2
    VGA: HIS & Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 4GB x 2
    Storage: Intel SSD 510 Series 120GB + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
    PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200
    Case: Lian Li PC-X500FX
    O/S: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Good read, wish you could make one for GPUs too :-)
    It's like all info you need compressed in nice easy overview.

Thanks !
    Last edited by d1b1; 04-23-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    CPU - Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz
    CPU Cooler - Enermax ETS-T40F-BK
    Memory - Corsair 8GB DDR4-2400
    Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-B250-HD3P
    GPU - Gigabyte Windforce OC 8G GTX 1080
    OS - Windows 10
    HDD - Crucial MX300, 275GB SSD M.2 2280
    Case - Enermax Ostrog ADV Blue
    PSU - Corsair CX650M

Brilliant layout and the graphs are easy to see why the best money is for a cheap Intel i5. It even just beats a FX9590 in every window setup of various games .

I don't know whether to cry or applaud the little i5 cpu.......
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me".

Xtreme Mentor
    Very good job!

Lots of data compressed into these bars, I like!

Thanks for sharing!
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Addict
    Is it possible to add mafia 2 and batman arkham origins?
    With physx's maxed of course.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by docwhom View Post
    Brilliant layout and the graphs are easy to see why the best money is for a cheap Intel i5. It even just beats a FX9590 in every window setup of various games .

I don't know whether to cry or applaud the little i5 cpu.......
    you need an i3 just to beat FX9590...but gaming isn't the solo gauge to CPU performance....
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post
    you need an i3 just to beat FX9590...but gaming isn't the solo gauge to CPU performance....
    Well it shows what we already knew, amds single thread performance makes it a worse gaming cpu.
    It shows also however that at least in single GPU confs the difference is rather small, verging on not observable for more powerful amd chips.
    Also two things, card used was nvidia one, so no mantle which almost nullifies much of the difference for a mantle enabled game.
    And second, that is really SAD, FX4300 on a supposedly outdated AM3+ is faster than a newest kaveri chip...
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for this graph and all the work done putting this together. Probably the most unbiased rollup on CPUs and gaming I have seen to date. Mantle support would only influence BF4 and Thief is not in this rollup, but it might bring AMD processors up a ranking or two, not too much looking at the big picture.

And this is why I am so looking forward to the upcoming Pentium Anniversary edition Haswell on a single card gaming PC. My FX6300 will find a new home doing livestream/video encoding, a task better suited for AMD stuff. Overclocking on the cheap makes me think back on the fun days of messing around with budget mobile bartons!

'Gaming' AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz | Asus M5A97 | 16GB DDR3 2133MHz | GTX760 2GB + Antec Kuhler620 mod | Crucial m4 64GB + WD Blue 2x1TB Str
    'HTPC' AMD A8-3820 @ 3.5GHz | Biostar TA75A+ | 4GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | Radeon 7950 3GB
    'Twitch' AMD 720BE @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P | 4GB DDR3 | Avermedia Game Broadcaster

Desktop Audio: Optical Out > Matrix mini DAC > Virtue Audio ONE.2 > Tannoy Reveal Monitors + Energy Encore 8 Sub
    HTPC: Optoma HD131XE Projector + Yamaha RX-V463 + 3.2 Speaker Setup

Xtreme Enthusiast

And this is why I am so looking forward to the upcoming Pentium Anniversary edition Haswell on a single card gaming PC. My FX6300 will find a new home doing livestream/video encoding, a task better suited for AMD stuff. Overclocking on the cheap makes me think back on the fun days of messing around with budget mobile bartons!
    For the life of me i cant grasp what youre saying.This graphs clearly say FX6350 is a better gaming chip than pentium chips (only two 2C/2T) ,yet you're saying that BECAUSE of this graph it clearly is the way to go to exchange FX6350 to pentium for gaming.While i do understand that you will probably be able to overclock that pentium chip around a ghz so a fair amount, it also seems like it will only bridge the gap :-/ ,The G3450 featured in this test is a 3,4ghz chip, its not slow, what brings it down is the lack of HT (4T)
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    For the life of me i cant grasp what youre saying.This graphs clearly say FX6350 is a better gaming chip than pentium chips (only two 2C/2T) ,yet you're saying that BECAUSE of this graph it clearly is the way to go to exchange FX6350 to pentium for gaming.While i do understand that you will probably be able to overclock that pentium chip around a ghz so a fair amount, it also seems like it will only bridge the gap :-/ ,The G3450 featured in this test is a 3,4ghz chip, its not slow, what brings it down is the lack of HT (4T)
    I agree.
    @Miwo
    While I did say that it's likely that a dual core intel would beable to beat out any amd at the moment, that still doesn't mean you should go buy an actual dual core.
    Get yourself a true quad core, the z97 platform is launching, that would be the way to go for mainstream perf.

IF your were to buy from newegg and only newegg...
    The 4570 is $189.99 right now (with promo code), the 4670k is $239.99.
    Looking at microcenters site, you can pick up the 4770k for $249.99 (local only, you gotta buy it from a microcenter store).
    The 4790k isn't out just yet, that would be the one I would buy.

Granted they're cpus out there for less then a $100, but those are for casual use.
    They're not really for gaming, even though you could probably game with them.
    You'll really want yourself a decent quad core, at least 4 threads or 8 threads (preferable).

A dual core with 4 threads would cut it maybe, but it will hold you back on the bigger things, like sli or crossfire, the latest and greatest battlefield or whatever (battlefield comes to mind being one of those games that may want or need more then a dual core).

And yeah I know amd is only offering dual cores these days essentially (2 fpu cpu's, 4 int cpu's), you could get one of them too but then you'de be in an even worse situation ^^.
    And I don't mean to troll with that comment, it's just not a good idea to get one for actual use... (overclock play is another story)
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-27-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I dont understand why you guys are so confused or upset? Granted this is the AMD forum,.. all I am saying is that it will be cheap OCing fun. Isnt that why most people even have AMD systems to begin with? Z97 + Pentium gives me a cheap platform to screw around with, most likely be as fast than AMD systems in games, and provide an upgrade path to Broadwell down the road.

Is the notion of a cheap $100 dual-core unlocked, overclocked i3/pentium being faster in games than a 3/4 unlocked comparable AMD part (FX-6350 / FX-8320) really that stupid? I'm all about bang/buck , so I find overclocking on the cheap more fun. Pretty difficult to grasp I suppose, but to each his own...

'Gaming' AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz | Asus M5A97 | 16GB DDR3 2133MHz | GTX760 2GB + Antec Kuhler620 mod | Crucial m4 64GB + WD Blue 2x1TB Str
    'HTPC' AMD A8-3820 @ 3.5GHz | Biostar TA75A+ | 4GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | Radeon 7950 3GB
    'Twitch' AMD 720BE @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P | 4GB DDR3 | Avermedia Game Broadcaster

Desktop Audio: Optical Out > Matrix mini DAC > Virtue Audio ONE.2 > Tannoy Reveal Monitors + Energy Encore 8 Sub
    HTPC: Optoma HD131XE Projector + Yamaha RX-V463 + 3.2 Speaker Setup

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miwo View Post
    I dont understand why you guys are so confused or upset? Granted this is the AMD forum,.. all I am saying is that it will be cheap OCing fun. Isnt that why most people even have AMD systems to begin with? Z97 + Pentium gives me a cheap platform to screw around with, most likely be as fast than AMD systems in games, and provide an upgrade path to Broadwell down the road.

Is the notion of a cheap $100 dual-core unlocked, overclocked i3/pentium being faster in games than a 3/4 unlocked comparable AMD part (FX-6350 / FX-8320) really that stupid? I'm all about bang/buck , so I find overclocking on the cheap more fun. Pretty difficult to grasp I suppose, but to each his own...
    No.
    Nobody says overclocking on the cheap is not fun or not a great thing, ESPECIALLY on the amd forum.
    However in the earlier post you said that a dual core pentium is better for gaming than FX line, which was WEIRD because you wrote that just below a test that proves OTHERWISE :P
    And that IS hard to comprehend.
    And you still persist, first look at the tests you respond to, than COMPREHEND the fact that pentium with its lack of HT and some cache is WEAKER at gaming than FX 6xxx or 8xxx, even 4xxx pulls ahead somewhat.Core i3 with HT is a different thing , those however wont be unlocked (although theyre competing well without OC).
    So dont try to put words into my mouth that i didnt say.
    So to compress.Unlocked pentium K chip and playing around with it is FINE! Its not specially good for modern gaming however, even slower than FX line.

Btw. In the post above you said BOTH that pentiums will be AS FAST (not really true ,but after oc it will improve) and FASTER (second paragraph).If that isnt "confused" than i dont know what is.
    Last edited by vario; 04-28-2014 at 04:16 PM.