Thread: Boinc CPU reporting incorrect

The 8 second kid

Boinc CPU reporting incorrect

Hey guys, Long time no been around! Tables look a bit dusty but inviting.

I was lurking here about a month ago and saw Dave's review of the new xeon IB's well i figured I wanted to see what was so interesting in the Kool-Aid he was drinking. Specs as follows

Supermicro 7047A-T
    xeon e5-2696v2
    48 GB ECC REG ram
    1TB SSD for boot
    w7000 ATI workstation card
    CPU-z Validation

ANYWHO. Boinc runs benchmarks but thinks my CPU's are 8 core and not 12. Task manager shows 48, CPUz shows 48. Therefore it will only work 32 wu's at a time. Which only runs the CPU's at 60%. I have read everywhere i can find and it always says to set cpu load in boinc manager to 100% Well i did that and if it worked i would not have posted here.

I got to fooling around with the client state xml files and cc config and last night got the rig to spool up to 100% then the mobo turbo'd to 125% but only on 32 wu. So i added my old standby to the project a e7600 and it went to full load right away.

Whats the trick guys to get this beast makin some heat?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Weedsqueezer; 04-19-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: CPU-z Validation
    A big Movieman type DUALLIE

Xtreme Member
    Since you say task manager, I'm going to guess you are running this on a windows machine?
    To make heat, your best option is to run it on linux. I seem to recall a hefty points and temp increase for the pair of EP chips when running a proper OS.
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Do you have the latest BIOS version on your MB so that it fully recognizes your wew CPUs?

You are running all current WCG project with Windows 7 Professional x64 Edition, Service Pack 1, (06.01.7601.00) as your OS. You may wish to switch your OS to a Windows server edition or better yet a suitable Linux release as stated above by Yeroon.

HWiNFO Author
    Check on the WCG page / Settings / Device Manager / Device Profiles what's set as "On multiprocessors, at most use:". I think the default settings is something like 32.

The 8 second kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    Check on the WCG page / Settings / Device Manager / Device Profiles what's set as "On multiprocessors, at most use:". I think the default settings is something like 32.
    Yeah and that is where all the guides and things keep pointing me to change but i've changed mine to say 48. it's like boinc doesn't know these chips as they are kind of rare i guess.

I know that windows can make full use of these as I run a host of photogrammetry software on this machine like agisoft photoscan pro. These softwares are insanely cpu intense and it will peg the needles everytime on all cores. which is why i built this machine and earn a few feelgood points between large projects in photoscan.

Also, I know that boinc can pull full CPU load because i was able to mess with the xml files to get it to run more but i'm not sure how i did that now either. Can i just edit the client state xml and hit save? do i need to tell boinc I did that? I guess that's all i've been doing is manually going into each one of those xml's in the programdata folder>boinc and finding everywhere it said 32 cores and change to 48. and everywhere it says cpu limit to 60 or 70% changing that to 100. Then I click save.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I'd have to have a pole around in the system to be sure, but the first thing I'd be doing is going around all the various settings and peg everything CPU related to 100% and to more threads than you have available (yeah I said threads, not cores. That's not a slip).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    After you went to WCG and changed the settings for # of processors and saved, did you hit the update button on your client? Maybe soot MM a PM to see if he did something different to get his rig to recognize 64 threads. Also, did you verify what you changed (ie default, home, etc) is what is showing on your client?

The 8 second kid
    Yeah I did hit update and went to website and changed all profiles. Even set resource share to 1000 LOL I did a reinstall of boinc after deleting it's program data folder to force it to rebuild. (after my wu's uploaded) still no dice 32 THREADS (sorry D_A) and 68-70% CPU load

I went through all the txt files and xml's correcting the number of cpus and max usage number twice. I tried setting max usage to 0 as well.

Me thinks Boinc is somehow mistaken when running the bench?!?

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I'm not just being pedantic. If you set it to the number of cores but have a modern hyperthreaded CPU you'll lose overall production, even though individual units will complete slightly faster. I mentioned it as it's happened to more than a couple of people.
    Check your memory usage settings as well. It might be refusing to load work based on your RAM being already over the listed setting. I run 95% usage allowed while system not being used and a little less while it is in use. I'm also only running a quad core AMD processor and 2GB per core of RAM in this machine, so it's not an issue I expect to have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HWiNFO Author
    Maybe there's a problem how the logical CPUs are organized into groups? A HWiNFO Debug File might shed some light on this...

Xtreme Legend
    What Boinc Version?

If this is how your settings look and Boinc version is latest stable 64bit and you made this rig read preferences or re-started it after you fixed these settings then I am short on ideas.
    Last edited by OldChap; 04-20-2014 at 02:16 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

The 8 second kid
    OK SO after thinking hard about your reply OC, looked at my version of boinc in the About menu. 7.2.47 (x86) DUH I R STOOPID. OK so I double checked where i'd gone to download the client (on the wcg website herehttps://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do) SO in my defense it doesn't say WHAT version it is under Windows!!! ok maybe i should have picked up on all the other versions being x86.

On the major plus side... i got a 35% increase in benchmark LOL cuz there is suddenly more machine!

Thank you all for trying to help me out on this.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedsqueezer View Post
    OK SO after thinking hard about your reply OC, looked at my version of boinc in the About menu. 7.2.47 (x86) DUH I R STOOPID. OK so I double checked where i'd gone to download the client (on the wcg website herehttps://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do) SO in my defense it doesn't say WHAT version it is under Windows!!! ok maybe i should have picked up on all the other versions being x86.

On the major plus side... i got a 35% increase in benchmark LOL cuz there is suddenly more machine!

Thank you all for trying to help me out on this.
    YAY moar points team!

and on a side note, that is one mean rig you got yourself there!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Read your PM!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I honestly didn't think to question if it was x86 or x64. Didn't occur to me it would make a difference ... it should have, but it didn't. Glad you got it sorted.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The 8 second kid
    Yeah I believe this needs to be mentioned somewhere like on the Everything you need to know thread... It never dawned on me either.

SO for all those that helped here's the first 24 hours all 48 cores....Duallie 04/23/2014 01:07:10 0:100:04:41:51 377,280points 730 results