Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New Apple Mac Pro

Xtreme Guru
    I think this is established response to R2D2's step-sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    How often/quickly do the d700's drop from the 850mhz state? I recall a discussion in the original M-P thread involving some hefty reasoning over just how much if ever they would get to 850. I figured if they used the 7990 chips/bin they came from (it was discontinued) they would get a combined tdp near 375w, which would allow a decent use of near max boost.
    The primary GPU is always at 850Mhz, it's the second one that down clocks when not used.
    The configuration is GPU #1 is Video, #2 is rendering( openCL ) in general.

It's up to the application to effectively use both. For FCPX, and Luxmark they'll gladly run at 850Mhz until the job is completed, and then it'll down clock again. This is only the case in OSX.

In Windows both run at 850Mhz from what I've seen, hence the better performance, and scores. Especially for 3Dmark

On average the D700's are around 10-15% slower than a W9000 depending on application and use. Although many applications are still not using them or are using older versions of OpenGL/CL, which handicaps performance

In Luxmark a 7970 in OSX will get you 1222 in Sala, while the D700 nets you 1755.
    So it's a clock of 925Ghz Vs 850Mhz with the D700 getting out ahead.

The Ars review by a professional user was very enlightening, and highlights the strengths and weakness very well.
    Developers need to actively work too take advantage of both GPUs to their fullest, and AMD seriously need to work on their lacklustre OpenGL performance.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/01...-2013-mac-pro/

It's shameful that a GTX660 can match the D700 & 7970's in OpenGL performance simply down to shoddy drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by sauria View Post
    Thanks, I think this will get better for more apps, hopefully.
    It's getting there. Even Aspyr the folks that ported Civilisation to the Mac have managed to let the second GPU be used for computation work. Netting better performance and quicker calculations, and nicer 4K support.
    Last edited by N19h7m4r3; 04-20-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm, looks like to me that apple needs to work on the paddings and margins...
    So does microsoft though.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Hmm, looks like to me that apple needs to work on the paddings and margins...
    So does microsoft though.
    I'e never heard that saying before. Could you explain what it means please?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    I'e never heard that saying before. Could you explain what it means please?
    When you design an interface, you wanna draw your icons or text a few pixals away from the borders.

Some examples.
    The Ok button on the gui in the screen above, needs the text to go down a few pixals to make it look right.

The worst offender, which I don't think is apple's fault though on this one, is the text that says mode : opencl blah blah blah... in blue.
    It's right up against the borders.

The hardware devices section, the title needs to go down a bit...
    Look at the opencl text right below it and you can see it needs to go down a bit too.

You learn this stuff writing css code in html.
    You usually wanna setup a certain amount of spacing for left/right and top/bottom.

Anyways what I really meant by it is, I figure apple being what it is, would try to make there interface look as professional as possible.
    But it looks like they pieced meal the code and just said screw it.

I've seen the title bar look and widget look before, but I never noticed how amateurish it all looked.
    Titlebar it's self looks fine though.
    I know they are using a form of unix, I can't remember the exact distro they baised it off (maybe it was mklinux).
    It's essentially unix anyways, which has it's issues like this and so does windows.

Eh windows these days is actually about as bad, well almost.
    It's just gets me thinking though, they're ripe for a 3rd party os to come out and beat them lol .

I don't mean anything bad by it, it just struck me.
    I pick these things out.

Mmm actually now that I think about it, it's probably all down to that luxmark program, and not anything todo with apple.
    Because you can draw buttons wrong like that in windows too.
    My bad, I was thinking alot of that was down to apple and it's probably not.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-21-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah thanks, I never did much with HTML and CSS. Learn something new every day.

Also yes its down to Luxmark haha, it's a nasty looks interface and program.

Also the Kernel in OSX is/was the Mach-Kernal, which was made to be a BSD replacement. It's derivatives using XNU are the core behind Nextstep, openstep and OSX. Although it was reworked into what is now Darwin in OSX.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    I'm going to assume (i know, bad idea) that by several DAW's, that at least a few of those do not require an Apple machine. And that opens up a huge range of both consumer and workstation grade machines other than the mac pro that can do the job just as well for cheaper, to better for the same price.
    Right. That was my point.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Addict
    Ah thanks, I never did much with HTML and CSS. Learn something new every day.

Also yes its down to Luxmark haha, it's a nasty looks interface and program.

Also the Kernel in OSX is/was the Mach-Kernal, which was made to be a BSD replacement. It's derivatives using XNU are the core behind Nextstep, openstep and OSX. Although it was reworked into what is now Darwin in OSX.
    Ah NeXTSTEP is name I was grasping for, came across it looking up IRIX and stuff like that.
    Thanks for bringing that up, I couldn't think of it for the life of me .
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-21-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by docwhom View Post
    It's still the sexiest PC case currently made by any PC manufacturer in the world today. Imagine if HP or DELL could make it instead......
    apple makes pc's now?
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by i found nemo View Post
    apple makes pc's now?
    They've made personal computers since the 70's.

I am Xtreme
    Apple likes to refer to their machines as Macs as opposed to (IBM) PCs. Although that's just marketing...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    They've made personal computers since the 70's.
    thought those were "power pc" type.
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by i found nemo View Post
    thought those were "power pc" type.
    They started with Motarola CPU's, then PowerPC before going x86.

Before the Macintosh they were just called Apple's. PC is just personal computer and Apple were the first to mass produce and establish them.

I can't speak for those Mac vs PC adds, I only ever saw them on youtube and they annoyed me. Since they're both personal computers with the differences at the time being OS, and PowerPC vs x86.
    Since 2006 there's no difference at all bar OS, and then you can install any OS you like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12