Thread: TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Double disappointment

TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Double disappointment

Hi,

First of all I'm Portuguese so sorry for any error that might be found while writing in English.

I bought a Kit of 2x1Gb DDR2 800Mhz back in 2007, the kit's info are:

Twin2x2048-6400C4D
    Lot Nr. 07190195
    XMS6404v2.1 (According to this listing have Promo IC's)

At the time I bought them at a higher price than other models after seeing reviews with great performance, but the reviews I read were with the Micron IC's...

Since I boutht this kit it never run well in multiple computers, at first I tryed to use it with the Rampage Formula+Q6600 but most of the times it would BSOD, not boot at SPD and keep a cheap kingston ram module to boot the PC and increase the voltage up to 2.3V to boot the Dominator kit the next time. Tryed all the BIOS released but with no success, went for 4x1Gb Transcend AxeRam DDR2 at 1200MHz and everything its fine till today.

Had another PC built based on a AMD X2 6000+ ASUS M4N78 in wich I tryed to put the Dominator Kit and again the same problems with all BIOS and tweaking tryed, went for a kit of 2x2Gb Corsair xms DDR2 at 800MHz and everything its fine till today.

Tryed this Dominator kit on other PC's and always the same problems, sometimes wouldn't boot and BSODs...

Tested the kit with memtest in vasious PCs with no errors detected so I thought that this was just a pain-in-the-@55 kit and set it aside .

Last week when a friend came to my house and looked at the kit, he told me that many of theses kits were problematic and advised me to check if this one was M?cron based or Promo based... well, its a Promo based and I payd a lot for 2nd tier product believing I was paying and buying a premium product.

I set this kit aside many years ago and never complained or requested a RMA believing that it could be faulty or just a pain-in-the-@55 kit but now I'm very disappointed with Corsair, I payed around 200? for a kit that I could have bought of other brand for half the price (or less) and add a better ram cooling kit for 20?.

I've been buying a lot of Corsair stuff for me and I'm not talking about 5-10 items, I'm talking way more and now I feel ripped off by Corsair, I regreat knowing this just now.

I'm gonna RMA this kit and see what answer I get, does anyone has an idea of wich will be the options?
    Will I get another sh1tt1 kit like this?!?
    What should I do so that I don't get another kit like this one?

Thanks.
    INTEL Q6600 @3400MHz (D-TEK FUSION + BIP 240GTS)
    ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (AIR-COOLED/ATMOSFERIC)
    4X 1GB TRANSCEND AXERAM 1200MHZ 5-5-5-15 (ATMOSFERIC)
    BFG 9800GX2 1GB ( BIP 120GTX)
    CREATIVE X-FI FATAL1TY CHAMPION SERIES (AIRCOOLED)
    PINNACLE PC-TV PRO (DON'T NEED NO COOLING)
    2 RAPTORX @RAID + 1 RAPTOR 150GB (AIR-COOLED)
    THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 750W SLI
    THERMALTAKE HARDCANO 12SE

Administrator
    You waited 7 years to try and RMA this kit ?

Do these have a life time warranty on them ?
    I would suspect they don't have any of these kits around anymore.

Xtreme Guru
    Oh yes, it might be a little late for that!
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I remember the 6400C4D kits from back in the days, unfortunately I was a n00b back then and fell for it as well. They sent out review kits with Micron ICs but the retails kits were built with ProMOS ICs.

However, besides the fact that 2.3V is too much Vdimm for ProMOS in my opinion, your kit must be faulty, which can happen with any memory kit. I have no idea what you might receive as a replacement should you decide to RMA them, but I doubt they'd even replace it with another DDR2 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    I RMA'd a kit just like that about a year ago becuase they never worked quite right I thought it was a board issue but when I upgraded to my maximus formula board they still didnt work, they sent me a new set of the same sticks.

on a side note, i wasnt talking crap about them when i did it, i was acutally suprised that they would RMA somthing that old as there is really no reason that they should.

and when you say "I feel ripped off by Corsair" you sound rediculous this is a wildly old set of ram that you had problems with to begin with and you never contacted corsair to let them fix it and now you feel jaded. memory IC matter but if corsair figured that those would work the same in their dominator sticks with the "micron" then im guessing they must perform almost the same, every memory company on the planet changes chips around from differant manufactures.