Thread: Vote for GPUGrid @ Einsteinium.org for project funding.

Xtreme Cruncher

Vote for GPUGrid @ Einsteinium.org for project funding.

Voting for Epoch 2 has begun.

Time to vote for GPUGrid

See this post for more info

Xtreme Cruncher
    done!

Xtreme Cruncher
    GPUGrid came in second at 29% Building an Affordable Drug for Diabetic wounds at 35%. At least GPUGrid lost to a worthy sounding project.

Results @ http://einsteinium.org/the-fund/voting-results/

Cheers!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Will they get another shot? Say next time they have money to give away?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    The Epochs or giveaways happen frequently, looks like monthly. I do not know what the rules are for another nomination for a project that did not win. This is all new and they just got their NPO status approved.

The good thing is I got Einsteinium Foundation some new exposure and GPUGrid some new exposure. I know of one new cruncher for GPUGrid because of the nomination. So I do not look at this as a failure I succeeded in what I wanted to accomplish. That is one of the good things about this also is small unfunded or under funded projects are getting much more exposure. The winners are asked to do a Reddit AMA, the first winner has even joined the board of the foundation. This could be a big thing someday. A new way to fund projects that otherwise cannot get funding.

As soon as I find out if they can be nominated again I will post here and at GPUGrid.net forums.

EDIT:
    I posted the question to their Facebook page and they replied affirmative to nominating them again.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 04-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So I can't see anywhere - it looks like the donations are simply a token amount ATM. Even a few thousand EMC2 coins would be only a few bucks at current rates. Any way to see how much they donated? (I couldn't find it)

Xtreme Cruncher
    The first winner received $1000, which was from the 2% of the mined coins but that did not totally meet the needs for the project so they asked for further donations of 250,000 coins from miners and holders of EMC2 to meet the total needed by the project. 320,000 was raised within hours.

I have been told that another wallet address will be posted so miners can donate more to the newest winner. This project is only a few months old and the initial "winnings" are the 2% that was mined that period. As there are more miniers the fund will grow. From what I have seen of the miners that are attracted to this coin are very interested in promoting and funding science projects. The first winner stated that the $2000 or so that he got will help him get the results he needs to get further funding.

So far it is the one coin that is already producing good secondary results from mining coins. The miners can sell some to pay for electricity and maybe profit and still are donating to science projects as well as voting for who gets it.

Since they have received NPO status I assume financial reports are submitted. Being a crypto currency there is the public ledger. They have big plans for what this could become. If they do it right they may succeed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    A quote from the first winners AMA(AskMeAnything) at Reddit.com.
    As for why this project only seeks $2,000 it’s because (starting out on Experiment.com) I was very unfamiliar with crowdsourcing and wanted to set the bar low to increase my chances of success. Additionally, $2,000 is the minimum amount I need to complete a set of “proof of principle” experiments that will generate data to help me secure larger grants. My ultimate goal is to have an independent and sustainably funded lab of my own that is focused on understanding and targeting EBV RNA structure. This crowdsourced funding will go a long way toward helping me achieve this goal, by letting me get this preliminary structural data. I’m currently working as a post-doctoral researcher in the Joan Steitz lab. I’m part of a team of (very talented) scientists that focus on RNA and several are also studying EBV. I’m the only researcher, however, on this particular project I’m the only researcher. Thanks for the well-wishes. My family, sadly like yours and many others was negatively impacted by cancer. This is a big motivator to my research.
    Q: Will the funds you've raised through crowd funding be enough to complete all of your testing, or is this more of a way of getting research moving in the right direction?
    A: Frankly, this crowdfunded money (even the reach goal of $10,000) is very small compared to what’s actually needed. It WILL, however, have an enormously important impact with respect to improving my chances of securing a traditional grant. The Catch-22 of science funding is that you need to get data to get money (grants) to get data. My boss is very generous with funding, but this project is what I hope, will be the nucleus of the idea behind my future independent lab. By crowdfunding this, I prove to myself, my boss, and the world that I can fund my ideas.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 04-23-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very cool! I wish him nothing but the best!

(And I may have been underestimating this currency... What happens when all the coins are mined?)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Very cool! I wish him nothing but the best!

(And I may have been underestimating this currency... What happens when all the coins are mined?)

I guess there is time to figure that out.
    What's the total amount of Einsteinium that will be created?
    The total number of Einsteinium coins that will be created is 299,792,458. It is anticipated that the last block will be mined in the year 2064.
    BONUS FAQ: Why 299,792,458?
    Simple! 299,792,458 is the speed of light in m/sec – we felt it an appropriate number

Xtreme Cruncher
    While true, I would hope they have a plan... Nothing spells doom of an otherwise great idea like a lack of forethought...

Xtreme Cruncher
    If they successfully fund small science projects once a month for 50 years I call that a success. Not everything has to last forever. They could also have EMC2.2. Again it is a new project and they are still trying to get the forums up and more info on web site. The details may be there and I have not seen it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    If they successfully fund small science projects once a month for 50 years I call that a success. Not everything has to last forever. They could also have EMC2.2. Again it is a new project and they are still trying to get the forums up and more info on web site. The details may be there and I have not seen it.
    True - if they channel $1000/month for 50 years, I'd consider that a huge success... but EMC2.2 won't work unless people have faith in the currency. The money has to come from somewhere. People aren't going to continue to invest in things that aren't going to last. Right now they are because of rampant speculation, but give it a few decades and I think things will settle down.

I would just like to note even though GPU grid did not win this month, it was renominated and will be up for a vote next month as a result. Thanks. The Einsteinium Foundation.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by praxiscat View Post
    I would just like to note even though GPU grid did not win this month, it was renominated and will be up for a vote next month as a result. Thanks. The Einsteinium Foundation.
    Awesome news! Thanks Praxiscat!
    (BTW - Welcome to XS!)