Thread: Same loop for > 2 years?

Xtreme Member

Same loop for > 2 years?

Hello,

I am currently running two water cooling loops in my system, but I assembled and filled the loops in January 2012.

The problem is, I have been wanting to rebuild my current system for a while (based on the aging LGA1366) - since a year ago in fact. Therefore, I have repeatedly put off draining and cleaning my loops as I consistently felt it would be a waste given that I would be carrying out a complete revamp of my system within a short period of time (which never actually came) anyway - necessitating the dismantlement of the loops again. So now, I have been running the same loops with no maintenance whatsoever for over two years.

I have a solid plan to carry out the upgrade in June. Would I be OK to wait until then? I haven't actually noticed any problems temperature wise, or any other obvious issues. I'm just concerned there could be some hidden latent problem.

Any thoughts? In case it's relevant, these are the components in each of the loops:

-EK Supreme HF
    -Swiftech NB Block
    -Koolance RP452X2 res with D5 pump @ setting 1
    -TFC Xchanger 360 radiator

-EK FC560
    -EK 120mm radiator (forget the model name)
    -XSPC RX120 radiator
    -Koolance RP452X2 res with D5 pump @ setting 1

Thanks

Odai.

Xtreme Member
    I had the same tendency to postpone maintenance time and again.
    Although in my case, it doesn't extend to more then 1 year.

If you are leaving your loop for an extended period without maintenance, I'd recommend using some kind of corrosion inhibitor - ph stabilizer instead of pure distilled water.

But at this point, I don't think it would matter much if you want to postpone it a few more months.
    Any damage would already be taking place. They are most likely on the nickel plating on the inner lining of the fittings.
    Just remember to get them inspected when you do the complete upgrade and replace as you deem necessary.

Depending on the quantity of contaminants in the loop, you might also want to get it cleaned up with some dilute vinegar/alcohol. Although I really don't find it necessary in most case, especially with the newer blocks having such large channels.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a loop that has been together about that long and I have noticed my temps seem to be going up slowly, could my blocks be getting dirty? My coolant still looks clear (distilled water with silver coil)...

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Member
    Most likely cpu block getting clogged. As the new blocks are really sensitive for any kind of dirt in the coolant.

i7 2700K 4.8 | P67A-UD5-B3 | GTX670 1254/7200 | 8GB RAM | INTEL SSD 160GB | SEASONIC 500W | DELL 2412M | Lian Li A7110

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have the same loop running for 4 years but I use really clean water through a Reverse Osmosis filter (5 stage) that I have for my aquarium.

I know, I know....I must clean it! A long overdue system upgrade (Q9550 CPU) is on the way this summer so I will completely revamp water cooling as well then.
    Hardware :Asus Rampage Extreme, 4870X2 (Crossfire X) EK FC Blocks, CPU Q9550@490FSB/4,180Ghz, RAM 4GB DDR3, Auzentech Prelude X-fi,PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt,
    3 Loops with TFCs360 and a PA.120.2/DDCs.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JargonGR View Post
    Most likely cpu block getting clogged. As the new blocks are really sensitive for any kind of dirt in the coolant.
    Older blocks with pins configuration are the ones most prone to having performance deterioration from blokage.
    Newer blocks no longer uses pins and just have channels.
    Thus, most of them are not prone to blockage.
    There are always a few exception to this of course. I know a few blocks with channels so narrow that this particular problem is still applicable.

Any veterans would highly recommend regular maintenance to ensure a problem-free operation.

Quote Originally Posted by JargonGR View Post
    I have the same loop running for 4 years but I use really clean water through a Reverse Osmosis filter (5 stage) that I have for my aquarium.

I know, I know....I must clean it! A long overdue system upgrade (Q9550 CPU) is on the way this summer so I will completely revamp water cooling as well then.
    While reverse osmosis does remove mineral content, it doesn't remove it completely.
    You really would be better off with distilled water.

Your upgrade is long overdue.
    You'd see massive jump in performance.
    So much you might get vertigo.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My RO filter also has a D/I resin chamber as a last stage and when measured at the outlet through a TDS meter the water is 000 particles. Nonetheless, I have tested it for a long time and never had algae issues or gang. Before that I was using WFI (water for injection).

Now to add more insult to injury as far as the upgrade is concerned, I am not even using the system on my signature since it was sold long ago when I decided I have different needs. My Q9550 is on an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe and my VGA is an Nvidia 9500 hooked on a 30" HP monitor (oh yeeeeess). I have changed to 8Gb RAM however and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD not to be completely last century. It is also overclocked to 3.4GHz and it contains 16 Hard Disks (in a MM UFO case) since my data needs are getting larger by the day (will go to server storage too).

Recently, the need for demanding software such as Revit, 3D Studio Max and several apps from Adobe have made the need for a new system so profound that it is not even funny anymore.
    The amount of value derived from this system however is unprecedented in my computer history. I can't wait to enjoy the jump to a new high-end platform (waiting for X99 platform). Till then I will upgrade graphics and HD subsystems.
    Hardware :Asus Rampage Extreme, 4870X2 (Crossfire X) EK FC Blocks, CPU Q9550@490FSB/4,180Ghz, RAM 4GB DDR3, Auzentech Prelude X-fi,PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt,
    3 Loops with TFCs360 and a PA.120.2/DDCs.

Depending on how clean the loop was when first assembled it may not really be an issue anyway. I had a loop together for a tad over a year and everything was still perfectly clean and clear inside.

Conversely, I've had ongoing issues with contamination in my main loop causing it to always grow things no matter what I do, so... yeah yuck lol.

Never any corrosion issues because frankly it won't happen if you haven't mixed any metals in the first place. You don't, so I wouldn't worry about that. Too many people fret over it on all brass/copper loops and I really don't understand why. There is nothing to corrode in a non-mixed loop.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    in my case, the only thing I seem to be cleaning out on a regular basis is the radiator so the air flow isn't restricted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Member
    What a coincidence because I'm facing a similar question now.
    I'm looking to upgrade as well for about a year but my system performance still satisfies me.
    At this moment I was thinking to upgrade to the Haswell refresh but in the end I think I will keep waiting until the release of Skylake and Intel 100-series release.

My watercooling system is running for approx. 4 years now on Aqua bidest water (double-distilled water) together with a silver coil.
    I still don't see any rising of CPU temperature or dirt in my reservoir.
    I assume it is possible to run a cooling system for so long then.

As Relttem says, I'm also only cleaning my radiator frequently to get rid of the dust.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (4.02Ghz @ 1.35v) (3836A875)
    Mobo: Asus P6T-Deluxe (bios 1701)
    RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D (1700Mhz @ 8-8-8-24-1T)
    Videocard: Club3D HD7950 RoyalKing 3Gb
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX
    HDD's: 1 x 256Gb Samsung SSD 840 Pro and 3 x 640Gb Samsung F1 Spinpoint
    PSU: Zalman 850W
    Case: Coolermaster CM690

D-Tek Fuzion with 5,5mm nozzle | Swiftech MCP655 | Thermochill 120.2 | EK Reservoir | XSPC High Flex 7/16" ID - 10/16" OD | Scythe S-Flex SFF21F Fans

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am at about 2 years without any maintenance. My temperatures seem to be ca. 10*C higher. It may be a time to tear it down and check what is going on inside.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

I have 2 systems.

1) About 12 years old. Only change is an added cooling head after 6 years and a new pump to get it more quiet. Fanless, so no cleaning of anything. Little water added once a year. Noticed no change in temp.
    2) About 4 years old. Dust cleaned once a year. A couple of degrees higher then when new.

I see no reason to disasemble and change water etc.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I use non conductive coolant and thus there is nothing to clean or worry about growth b/c nothing can grow in there. Still using the same 2 loops of coolant 6 years later.

Xtreme Member
    Five years and counting for me. I'm using all copper blocks, Tygon R-3400, and distilled water with Petra's silver coils. The water is crystal clear in my reservoirs.