Thread: Cooltek W1

Xtreme Member

Cooltek W1

Introduction

Under the label "Cooltek - powered by Jonsbo" Cooltek recently introduce a new PC chassis, the W1. Pictured below, the HTPC-ready(or gaming rig) case measures 356 x 242 x 362 mm and features a steel structure with aluminum panels, a I/O panel with dual USB 3.0 ports, Mini-ITX motherboard support, one slim 5.25-inch drive slot, plus four 3.5-inch and two 2.5-inch bays.The W1 can house graphics cards up to 320 mm long, it has pre-drilled holes on the back panel (for water-cooling tubing), and includes two pre-installed 140 mm fans (front and back). The case will come in two versions - W1 and W1 Window, the latter packing a side window.I received the latter for review today.

The chassis is available in two different colors: black and silver.

Main Specifications.

Packaging & Contents

Cooltek packs the W1 into a cardboard box with brown and black print. The front of the package shows the chassis, while the rear has another simple image of the cube's separate parts.

Both sides of the cardboard box share identical bits information in the form of specifications.

The W1 is held in place by foam spacers, and a plastic bag has been applied at the factory to protect it from scratches and fingerprints.

You get a lot of stuff with the Cooltek W1.Even though the chassis is quite compact, there are a surprising amount of small parts and a cover for the installation of an optical drive.Not only will you receive a few cable ties, but Cooltek also includes special HDD screws and many rubber rings for them. There are also metal and plastic spacers for the motherboard and a simple speaker unit.

A basic manual of high quality rounds out the contents within the Cooltek W1.

Red struts in order to fixate the main hard disk.

A Closer Look - Outside

In terms of build quality, the W1 is just as good as Lian Li's alternatives.

The panels are made of the finest 1.5mm aluminum(Anodized wire-drawing workmanship).

There are dust-proof materials for the top fans, side plates where cooling air coming in for display card, base plate where cooling air coming in for PSU and the fan on front panel. They can ensure the cleanness of the hardware in a long time in order to avoid problems, such as system not starting up, caused by bad contact of hardware.

There is no screw on the top plate, front panel and both side plates in order to provide the clean appearance.

The individual panels on the Cooltek W1 also feel to be of higher quality than those of a Lian Li chassis, as they seem thicker.

There is a large window cut into the left hand side panel which give us a good view of the insides of the case.

Transparency acrylic for maximized tuning effect.

The top cover is perforated with a large quantity of air holes. If required, users can install two 120 or 140 mm fans.

Air intakes in the left side panel guarantee that even the most powerful graphics cards can suck in enough fresh air.

Considering the fact that there is no Cooltek logo anywhere on the chassis, I would not be surprised to see the chassis used by various system integrators who put their own brand on the chassis exterior.

The front of the W1 is kept very sleek - only the slot-in bay for a slim-design optical drive stands out.

The angular design "banishes" the power and reset button, as well as the I/O panel to the right side of the case in order to preserve the uniform classic design line.The I/O consists of two USB 3.0 connectors and the usual pair of audio I/O.

The only other element on the front are the circular power button and reset button,with a ring-shaped power LED around them.

Moving round to the rear we can see that this case has a number of interesting features.For simplified installation of external water cooling components, the W1 has two rubber hose outlets in the rear panel.The PSU bay is on the bottom of the chassis.

Above that is a fine grill behind which is the only exhaust fan.The 140 mm fan pushing air out the back of the case.

Near it are the two silver-colored expansion slots.

If you look closely, you will see a little speed-adjustment switch near the fan.The built-in speed controller can control both the front and rear 14CM silent fans speed in order to let you reducing the noise manually.

Tipping the Cooltek W1 on its side reveals the hard-drive bays on the floor of the chassis. You may install two 2.5" SSDs.We have also a PSU intake mesh with a dust filter on it.The stylish case rests on vibration-decoupled case feet.

The dust filter may be pulled out for easy cleaning.

A Closer Look - Inside

All-in-black interior.W1 is uses independent cooling channels to ensure there are separate inlet cooling channels for display card, motherboard and PSU.

The basic framework is made of sturdy steel(1.0 + 0.8 mm SGCC). Most of the people have a misunderstanding that full aluminum case has a better heat dissipation effect than traditional steel case because of thermal conductivity, but actually the heat dissipation is mainly depended on the cooling channels instead of the thermal conductivity. Since aluminum alloy is expensive, thin aluminum alloy is usually used for full aluminum case, and so the drawback is that the strength of the case is not so good.W1 seems to balance between the surface workmanship and the strength of the structure.

The front panel pulls away to reveal a removable fan vent which conceals one 140 mm fan within.

The motherboard is mounted on the motherboard-tray above the power supply unit.

There are two 14CM standard silent fans built-in front and rear providing cooling channels for HDD and motherboard.The front fan ensures perfect cooling of the installed hard drives, the fan on the rear panel efficiently dissipates the heated air of the CPU cooler and graphics card.Two 14CM or 12CM fans or dual water cooling radiators are ready to be installed on top, so there is no dead end in the entire case and thus theoretical optimum heat dissipation can be reached.

There is obviously not a lot within the chassis as the bulk of space is for the motherboard.

In the upper part the HDD cage is located, which is geared for the decoupled mounting of up to four 3.5 inch drives.Unfortunately the HDD cage isn't removable.I would prefer that cause we need more space in such a tiny pc case.

Above the HDD cage you can find a mounting frame which accommodates a 5.25 inch slot-in drive in slim-line format.

The I/O PCB is held in place by two clearly visible screws.

Due to its position,it may not get in the way of things when installing a mATX motherboard or psu.

We can clearly see the grommets for cable management under middle plate.

All the cables of the W1 are sleeved black and of the standard variety. Both audio and USB connectors are of the standard variety.

As i have noted before, the floor of the chassis is where you will be placing your SSD drives.

The PSU will rest on plastic inserts preventing them from resonating.

Installation and Finished looks

Installing the motherboard does prove tricky because it collides with the frame, but I managed to squeeze past those with a bit of tough love.The motherboard need to be removed and replaced every time we put the cpu cooler.

Please note that when a 240 mm radiator is used, you cannot install an optical drive anymore.

If you wish you can mount the extra cover,which provides more space for a case top cooler.

Here's how you install the actual HDD.Thick sound absorbing silicones are used to reduce the noise transmission of HDD.The hard drives are simply equipped with anti-vibration screws and then inserted into the existing slots. Installation is thus incredibly easy and guarantees that vibrations are damped, which might disturb the user.

They eye-catching red struts are simply screwed to the hard drive cage and prevent the disks from slipping out of the guide rails.

The rear is very clean but not spacious.

Here's how you install the SSDs.The SSD are simply inserted into the slots and fasten them with screws underneath the bottom of the case.

While you are restricted to using a CPU cooler of less than 215 mm in height, doing so pretty much includes most 120 mm tower units and most top-blow coolers on the market today.

The ability to hold a graphics card of up to 320 mm length should also make for a cool little gaming rig,especially with the new SteamOS for which you no longer require physical media.

In my setup,installing the PSU was possible after inserting the motherboard, but you may want to install your PSU first. Due to the compact size of the Cooltek W1, you have to make sure to take a compact unit for this build. However, there is enough space to install high quality units which tend to be slightly longer than entry-level ones.

Things are a bit tight once everything is in place, but that was to be expected. As there is no way to really tidy cables up, you will have to get creative in hiding and routing cables in an attempt to keep everything accessible.I routed some cables behind the motherboard, for example.

Once the side panel is in place, the Cooltek W1 looks quite gorgeous.The W1 makes an excellent impression.

Test System and Methology

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K
    Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77N
    Cooler:Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler
    Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1800MHz
    Graphics Cards: Msi gtx 670 Twin Frozr
    Power Supply: Corsair VS450
    Boot Drive: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

To test the thermal performance of the Cooltek W1 i loaded my test system for 15 minutes using Prime95 and Furmark and recorded the maximum temperatures reached using CPUID Hardware Monitor.I then restarted the system and left it for 15 minutes before recording idle temperatures.I overclocked the system to 4.2 GHZ for my tests using a voltage of 1.20V.Room temperature was maintained at 20 degrees C for the duration of my tests.

Temperature

Overall i am very impressed with these temperatures, as they show that you can achieve a significant overclock in this case.

Noise level

This graph shows that the Cooltek W1 remains fairly quiet, even when under load. This is particularly impressive for a case with so many air vents!

Conclusion

Overall i am very impressed with what the Cooltek W1 has to offer.Over the past couple of months i have seen a number of manufacturers introduce micro ATX and mini-ITX cases although they have been rather hit and miss.The Cooltek W1 is a simple, yet elegant design making it an ideal choice for those who want a low-profile build.The functional design of the case is also very effective.There is space for a long graphics card, as well as room for a large power supply and a large CPU cooler.This gives you the potential to build a very powerful system inside.The Cooltek W1 performed very well in my tests, achieving both impressive temperature and acoustic performance.Another interesting trend is the increased attention for water cooling enthusiasts. With support for a 240 mm radiator in the top there are plenty of opportunities to keep the most powerful hardware running cool.I expect that you would be able to achieve even more impressive temperatures and acoustics with a AIO Cooler installed in the top of the case.The Cooltek W1 truly shines when it comes to noise levels. Operating at 5V the fans are almost inaudible. Using the case as a HTPC at a distance of several meters means users will be able to forget it is even there until the fans are set to operate at 12V. Even then, a TV?s speakers or headset will easily drown out the fan noise.The only concern is the fact that you need to remove motherboard each time you want to change your cpu cooler.

Cooltek have built up a loyal fanbase over the last year specifically for their attention to detail.The W1 falls within these parameters and is sure to appeal to a wide audience. It is extremely well built and the use of aluminum adds to the premium feel of the materials and construction.The asking price is 95 Euro's for the W1-Black Window.Those who are not a fan of windowed side panels can order a standard version for 90 Euro's.I would recommend the Cooltek W1 in particular if you are looking to install a powerful system.

Last edited by testman78; 08-20-2014 at 10:51 AM.