Thread: Someone Made A Handheld N64 And Your 12-Year-Old Self Is Freaking Out

Someone Made A Handheld N64 And Your 12-Year-Old Self Is Freaking Out

Yes!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000592

"Someone has created a portable, handheld Nintendo 64.

The modder, who goes by the name of Bungle, says the device is a custom-made, controller-shaped case with enough battery to get through a little over four hours of gameplay. The thing is even said to boast internal memory!

This is Bungle's fourth attempt at the N64 portable, according to his Youtube account. There are instructions out there on to how to create your own handheld N64, but none of the models seem to match Bungle's in terms of quality and design.

This version of the modified N64 console looks beautiful, almost as if it were sanctioned by Nintendo. Bungle has said he plans to sell it as soon as he can make some more.

Take our money, Bungle. Just shut up, and take it now. "
    Last edited by Ace123; 04-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    I'm sure there are no legal issues with selling Nintendo's proprietary hardware...So can I put a custom carbon-fiber case around an Iphone PCB and call it my my own?

Edit: You he could sell the mod (instructions DIY) or the mod service (e.g. someone mails him their N64 an he sends this thing back)...but...I believe Nintendo would have a right in objecting to him buying up consoles, modding them, and then reselling them as his own product due to the Nintendo's hardware being proprietary.
    Last edited by DefStar; 04-11-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    I'm sure there are no legal issues with selling Nintendo's proprietary hardware...So can I put a custom carbon-fiber case around an Iphone PCB and call it my my own?

Edit: You he could sell the mod (instructions DIY) or the mod service (e.g. someone mails him their N64 an he sends this thing back)...but...I believe Nintendo would have a right in objecting to him buying up consoles, modding them, and then reselling them as his own product due to the Nintendo's hardware being proprietary.
    I dont understand why it would be a problem of any sorts, hes not COPYING hardware .Its just like a car for example, you can buy it modded already, you can mod it by yourself and then sell it no problem.Only thing you lose is manufacturers warranty, which in this case is not an issue.
    Im not saying nintendo would not try to make this guys life a pain.But they dont have a case.
    In essence you're saying i cant change case in the dell pc i bought.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    I dont understand why it would be a problem of any sorts, hes not COPYING hardware .Its just like a car for example, you can buy it modded already, you can mod it by yourself and then sell it no problem.Only thing you lose is manufacturers warranty, which in this case is not an issue.
    Im not saying nintendo would not try to make this guys life a pain.But they dont have a case.
    In essence you're saying i cant change case in the dell pc i bought.
    Completely different example you give...only Dell's case and software is proprietary, the hardware inside a Dell is not Dell's hardware. The Nintendo PCB is proprietary made...I couldn't take an Intel 3770K and put a different IHS on it and call it my own product, Intel and Nintendo would have a case if they were to pursue....I personally would contact a lawyer before I sold any of these.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    Isn't shield a more portable(lol) version of this with the ability to play multiple systems with the ability of upscale graphics. Shields even seems superior from a hardware perspective with likely a more powerful parts, better speakers and a bigger better screen.

Plus if you own the game, your just backing them up and not having to carry a cartridge with you all the time give you the ability to carry your whole collection.

I don't even like the shield but it seems like a far more useful product than this. This can't be a cheap product since you have to gut an n64, find an expansion pack and gut a first party controller.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 04-11-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

I imagine this is strictly for those of us who are very nostalgic. I have a MINT NES with a small library, a Super Nintendo, a Sega Nomad, 2 N64s, Atari 2600. Nothing like the original.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Isn't shield a more portable(lol) version of this with the ability to play multiple systems with the ability of upscale graphics. Shields even seems superior from a hardware perspective with likely a more powerful parts, better speakers and a bigger better screen.

Plus if you own the game, your just backing them up and not having to carry a cartridge with you all the time give you the ability to carry your whole collection.

I don't even like the shield but it seems like a far more useful product than this. This can't be a cheap product since you have to gut an n64, find an expansion pack and gut a first party controller.
    I think you've totally missed the point of this.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I think you've totally missed the point of this.
    I am just not that enamored by it because I fell off the nostalgia wagon for nintendo a long time ago.

People took an n64 and made it portable. I just don't see what's so impressive since its been done before.

There are even nicer versions of it.

Just google portable n64, and dozens of machine up.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    Completely different example you give...only Dell's case and software is proprietary, the hardware inside a Dell is not Dell's hardware. The Nintendo PCB is proprietary made...I couldn't take an Intel 3770K and put a different IHS on it and call it my own product, Intel and Nintendo would have a case if they were to pursue....I personally would contact a lawyer before I sold any of these.
    Nintendo uses parts made by other companies, and hires subcontractos to make many of the bigger modules , how is that different from dell ? They sell these conglomarates of parts made by other companies as their own product, which is fine.But how in the hell i cant make a case for be it nintendo or dell is beyond me, he isnt COPYING anything.
    I know you totally disregarded the car analogy, but give it one more try.There are whole companies dedicated to change/mod products of other companies.And they SELL IT.
    The worlds going insane, because i know that if it would be about some apple product they would certainly TRY to sue the guy.
    I can buy a house and do whatever i want to it and then sell it.I can buy a fork paint it pink and sell it, no matter who made the fork or who made the house using whataver technologies.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB