Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor (aka, "The PPPP")

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpachris View Post
    About 1.5 inches. You may need to make some of the wires longer than others if they do more of a crossover than rest of wires.

I did something similar for the GPU cables, but haven't taken any pictures yet.
    cool thanks! mine should be done soon!

finally pulled the trigger and got Ultimate Personal Computers (adamBirli) to finish all of my cables in mdpc black

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Hey bro quick question, When doing custom sleeving making ur own cables,You insert the cables into the PCIE connector any way you want also same goes with the 24 pin ? Or do you follow the same routing as the default cables that come with the PSU? I wanna start my own custom sleeving just not sure if i purchase all the tools,sleeving etc I might make a mess and actually ruin my PSU lol and connectors..
    if your only doing one psu,
    i would really just have somone do this for you, after buying tools and materials you end up spending as much if not more (not even counting time lost) than if you would have paid a professional to do it. and they end up perfect if you use the right person.
    Last edited by NKrader; 08-21-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Some more TV time with my sweetie while doing some cabling work....

The same way I did the short cable for my 24 pin that handled the double wires and cross overs.....

....I'm doing the same thing for my GPU cables. All of the 8 pin connectors on the Corsair have a double wire in one slot and several cross-overs. I want all that to be handled in a short patch cable down by the GPU, and then have a 1 to 1 extension that is sewn and tight. So......I took some of the connectors that came with the PSU and snipped off the wires with a couple of inches to spare. Then I stripped and crimped.

The above two pictures were actually a goof. I put female pins on the end, and I really needed male pins. So I had to redo those. But in the end, I had male pins on them and put a male to female connector on here.

The extensions that are sleeved and pretty have female connectors on both sides. They will plug into the extensions like this, and then plug into the PSU.

With hindsight, it might make more sense to make the extensions with a female connector on one end and a male on the other. This would make them usable with any PSU standard cable as the patch cable. I'll always make custom sized cables....so it really doesn't impact me. But it is probably wiser.

I've played around with several different cable paths from the GPU to the PSU....and I think I've settled on one. I really like the way my 24 pin and motherboard power connectors have the GPU side of the cable doing a tight and immediate loop up and out of the PSU section. Like this....

So the same way that the motherboard power connector goes up and underneath the motherboard......that's how I'm going to do the GPU cables also. They will track immediately back under the motherboard tray just like the motherboard connector, and then go through a cut-out (probably need to expand one) in the divider plate, and then up through the midplate to the GPU's. I think it will look pretty clean this way. But it will really need a lot of cable stitching to keep it nice and tight.

I started in on that.....and decided I needed to stop and get my next powder coating batch ready to go first. I'm sure it will take a week or two to get the powdercoat batch back....so I can be working on stitching and cabling while the pieces are off to be powdercoated. So....next up is pictures of my PSU window cut-out work......

Xtreme Member
    So since this case I selected had a lot to do with all of the windows.....why not make some more in the components themselves? Right? Got some ideas for both the PSU and the SSD's. Here is the start of what I've done to the Corsair AX1500i.

Void the warranty....and take the top off. Hehe.....

Remove that fan from the top of the PSU cover......

Tape up the PSU cover where the cuts will be made....

Rock that Dremel....

7 cutting blades later (gasp), success!!!

Get out the file and start working those rough edges....

Starting to look better....

Test fit. I'm having to pull down the plastic insert that usually protects the circuitry from touching the metal sides of the PSU. Before I"m done, I'll need to cut it down below the window panel....

Different angle view....

That's where I got so far....but I'm pretty pumped about how it's going to look. Next steps.....I'm going to send the PSU cover to be powder coated in CaseLabs black. This will make it match perfectly with the interior of the case....and will help hide some of the nicks and scratches that happened while cutting it out. I'm going to have the top fan grill powder coated pink to match the outside of the case.

While these parts are off to be powder coated, I'll cut some acrylic out for the window, and then have a local shop etch it with a Corsair logo and maybe a PPPP mention. I'm planning on running a LED into the inside of the PSU and lighting up the etched acrylic window. It will be very cool.....

May even find a little bitty pink panther or something to leave inside the PSU....looking out through the window. :thumbsups

Mine came out a little different, apparently corsair wires a bit easier than Seasonic

Xtreme Member
    But just imagine how beautifully perfect your extensions can be now!

Quote Originally Posted by cpachris View Post
    But just imagine how beautifully perfect your extensions can be now!
    yep, i had both made at the same time.
    Last edited by NKrader; 08-26-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Based on all the other WONDERFUL pictures of the new EK Supremacy EVO, you've probably concluded correctly that the black van was there to ensure not a word was breathed of it before it was ready. The waterblock is beautiful, and the new insert really makes the insides even more attractive than before. Not to mention the performance has been improved. I'll be posting my own pictures of it with some beautiful pink coolant after I get it polished up.

In the meantime....I'm still prepping items to go for another batch of powdercoat items. Got the memory ready a few days ago. For those following, you will remember that I've already done a custom dye job of the light bar to make it glow pink instead of white. The one on the left has the normal light bar, and the one on the right has lightbar upgrade kit and the custom dyed pink light bar....

But I want to do even more with the memory to personalize it for this build. So I took off the light bar cover....

...and then removed the heatsink.

The heatsink just took a little bit of wiggle to remove it.

Then I repeated for all 4 sticks of memory....

The plan here is to powercoat the light bar covers matte black to match the inside of the case, and then powdercoat the heatsinks pink to match the outside of the case. I think it's safe to say I'll have the only set of Dominator Platinums like this. :o

Corsair tells you to personalize it right there on the package.....who am I to say no?

Can't wait to see how these look when they get back from CaseLabs! More powdercoat prepping tomorrow!

Xtreme Member
    Still working on getting ready the package of stuff that I'm shipping off to be powdercoated. Today was the card reader and some faceplates. I pointed this out previously....but the card reader's light grey color is really throwing my mojo off when I look in the case. See?

I can't spend all this time on black and pink accents....and just leave the ugly grey box. Jen already previously weighed in....and the color needs to be black for this box. I could just rattle can it....but as long as I'm already sending some stuff for powder coating, why not make it match the inside of the case exactly, right?

The cover came off easily....

...and to my delight the wires inside were simple micro-b connectors, so I could remove them with no effort.

Cute lil' pcb.....

Pop off the face plate. Since it's already surrounded by the CaseLabs 3.5 inch adaptor which is pink....I'm going to leave this faceplate black for a little contrast. Plus...it's plastic, so powdercoat is not an option.

Snip the cable tie holding the cables in place.....

....and remove the cables completely from the PCB and card reader housing. These will be a breeze to sleeve. The pass PCI pass through bracket will also get powder coated black....

Ta-da! Card reader housing ready to go.

Few more nits. The Aquaero 6 mounting brackets are silver, but are hidden behind the black CaseLabs mounts so that they really don't show much. But....as long as I'm getting some stuff powder coated....

....so I removed the Aquaero and took off the mounting brackets. We'll make these black as well.

This black faceplate for the FC8 is aluminum. It won't be black much longer. We'll send this in for pink powdercoating, so that it matches the outside of the case exactly. I did this with my FC8 on the BBBB and it looks pretty sweet and custom when it matches the rest of the case exterior.

I'll also give some props to Lamptron. They've improved the build quality of the FC8 significantly since I bought my last one.

I had some left over flow meters from the last build. I had powdercoated the faceplate white for one....and had the other copper plated. I think I'm going to have the white faceplate on this Aquaero flow meter powdercoated pink. That will be unique.....

I have just a few more items to get ready, including the SSD's and the LED lighting brackets. More on those tomorrow!

Xtreme Member
    Finished up the last of my items for the powdercoat batch, and I've sent the package off. Woo-hoo! Here are the last of the items that went....

These Corsair Neutron SSD's are already pretty darn good lookin'....

But I wanted to do something special with them, and I have a couple of ideas kicking around in my head. So I took the innards out again. The PCB inside is even smaller than the case.

Got out the Dremmel....

...and cut-out a window for the front of the SSD cases. The idea here would be to put a thin piece of plexi on the inside of the cover...

...and then etch it with a logo and light it up with an LED fed through this hole I made.

The SSD cases themselves are being sent for black powdercoating so they will match the inside of the case. I may make the LED glow from the window a pink'ish glow to tie out the theme.

My other idea with the SSD's is to not use the case for them at all...and instead stack the two PCB's together with some standoffs, and use a solid piece of plexi on the front and back to provide some protection. It would become kind of a clear "brick" of SSD's. Might be fun. I'll probably try it both ways and decide.

I asked the kitty what he thought.....

....and he said he liked both ideas for the SSD's....but that we really needed to think about making the lighting for the inside of the case look nice also. Fair enough....

So I showed him the 3 different styles of LED U-channel that I had picked up.

This one is for corners where you want the light to point at a 45 degree angle...

This one is for flat mounting and has some heat fins....

This one is for ultra low profile flat mounting....

I cut them all up into sizes that would fit nicely in the spots in my case where I'm considering lighting....

....and included them in my package of "black" items for powdercoating. These covers should blend right into the inside of the case since they will be finished in the exact same powder as the case. Should be almost invisible. I did a lot of LED strip lighting in my last build also, but was able to hide the strips from view based on how big the case was. With this S8 and 4 windows....almost everything inside is view-able, so there is no place to hide something ugly. Must make everything attractive. So we'll give these u-channel a shot and see what they look like when finished black.

That's it for the powder coat items. Now...I'll get back to some wiring work while I wait on these to be returned.

Getting close to time to start plumbing this baby up!

Xtreme Member
    With all of my "to-be-powdercoated-items" sent off to California....I've resumed working on some of the cabling/sleeving....

I finished up the last two of my little patch cables for the GPU's.....

...and I've started in on the cable sewing again. Got caught up with Big Brother, watched 3 more episodes of Game of Thrones...and had a date with Nucky Thompson. 5 or 6 hours of watching and sewing...and I had most of one of the GPU cables done. I'm sewing the two 8 pins together into one solid cable. This allows me to make a mini version of the same pattern I used for the 24 pin.

My current idea is to have the top GPU cable wrap down and between the GPU's....and when I'm finished with the other GPU cable, it will wrap up and between the GPU's. So they will meet together and become one solid mass going down between the GPU's. May even sew them together like that. You can't see in these pictures....but I'm going to have to make the cable management cutout a little wider to allow the cables to keep their flat shape when they pass through the midplate.

Wait....what's that thing in the lower right corner...?????

It's the kitty! He approves. You can see how well the GPU pattern matches the 24 pin pattern in this picture . Similar pattern....similar shape. Coming together nicely....

Now I need to queue up another couple of Game of Thrones episodes and finish up the other GPU cable!!

Xtreme Member
    You are in for a treat tonight! I was lucky enough to receive, and Kevin was kind enough to send me, some pictures of the pink parts getting the powder applied right there at the secret laboratory CaseLabs keeps in California! Let the action commence....

Looks like they use a nice Encore powder gun system....

Kevin was even kind enough to drill some holes for me in parts that didn't have a place to hang already. Like the memory heatsinks in the picture below. Here they are up on the line...awaiting their glorious pink treatment....

This lucky guy got the honor of seeing the first Corsair pink heatsink. :o

Spray on, my brother. Spray on....

Yes!

Looks like the powder covered the engraved lettering on the Lamptron faceplate nicely....

Into the oven to bake!

Kevin mentioned that actual curing was done at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. Must still be heating up here. Man they've got some cool toys!

Just like any tasty treat....needs some time to cool after baking.

And presto! All done. These look even tastier than a fresh hot blueberry muffin. Or, something like that. Er....never mind.

Even some protective film for parts that didn't need powder! I was going to sand off these areas. CaseLabs saved me some time!

They'll shoot the black parts next, and then return my lovelies to me. Kevin also shared some pictures of my PSU cover....which got pretty bent up during transit. He spent some time trying to return it to its original state, and thinks it will survive. USPS. Gotta love em'.

Anyway....thanks a ton to CaseLabs for sponsoring this project and continuing to show it love. Above and beyond the call of duty!

Xtreme Member
    Received confirmation that my newly powder coated parts have shipped and will be here early next week. Hooray!

While I'm waiting, today I'm working on prepping the midplate for some additional cable management spots. To get to the midplate, I needed to take out the motherboard tray. Really appreciate how quick and easy this is to do with the CaseLabs S8. Four quick screws and I can lift the whole thing right out....

There are two changes I'm going to make to the midplate. You see that existing rectangle cable management cutout right on the other side of the PSU? Well, the way I'm going to wrap my GPU cables down and around into the PSU compartment, I need for that cutout to be further back so I can make the cables curl up right out of the PSU and disappear underneath the motherboard tray. I also want it higher up so that the cables are hidden underneath the tray and can't be seen through the windows.

I also need to widen the existing cutout on top of the midplate where the GPU cables will drop down below the midplate. The double 8pin cables are wider than the existing cutout.

A few more screws and I can take the whole midplate right out for easy Dremmel action. See Tebow's tail down in the lower right? He sat and watched what I was doing with great interest.

He even likes the kitty....

Need to tape the midplate where I'm going to make the cuts. I'm fresh out of painters tape, so I had to borrow some of my daughter's Duck Tape. Of course, she had a variety of colors and combinations available, but she picked this fabulous pink and black tape for my use. FAB-U-LOUS!!!

Taped and ready to go.....

Sweet Dremmel action on that FABULOUS tape!

I tried this little brush attachment to clean-up the edges and it worked well.

I'll take some more pictures of the midplate after I get it back in the box. Should all make sense then if it doesn't already.....

Xtreme Member
    Midplate back in, and sewing on my GPU cabling all done. Really happy with how this portion of it came out....so time for some glory shots!

There are a total of 4 8pin cables for the GPU's. The two for each GPU are sewn together into what looks like a 16 pin cable, and then both 16 bin cables fold toward each other to meet in the middle and drop down between the two GPU's and through the midplate bottom. I even sewed the two 16 pin cables together so they would become one cable dropping down to the floor. You can just make out the expanded cut-out in the midplate at the bottom of this picture that was necessary to run the cables down this way.

This view from the top (radiator drop-in mount removed) shows the cabling off well.

I still have some cabling work to do for fans and lighting, and a touch more sewing to do on the motherboard power cables, but I'm stoked with the progress. Those dual ASUS DirectCU II 780Ti's look nice already. Can't wait to see them blocked up!

More soon!

Xtreme Member
    Always a good day when you come home to a FedEx from CaseLabs.

After removing all of the paper and bubble wrap surrounding the items....they even had packaged all of the items individually into their own little baggies!

Those are spare windows at the top of the stack, for some sponsor logo etching I'm going to have done. I'm going to start putting some of the items back together now, and will take some glamour shots as I go. More later....

Xtreme Member
    I've been busy playing with all my freshly powder coated parts. Today, I'm showing off the Corsair Domintor Platinum sticks.

I spread out my powdered parts and went to work...

One last parting shot of the RAM in it's as-is form. It's really nice looking RAM already.

But...now it's a lot nicer looking RAM. Especially if you are building a pink and black computer.

The lightbar cover is now black, and the heatsink fins are now pink. These customizations are in addition to the dyed light bar insert I showed awhile back. Pretty sure these are the only Dominators Platinums like this....

Kitty liked them so much he suggested a photo shoot up in the studio. Kitty always likes pictures....

He started some weird modified Full Metal Jacket chant when we got upstairs for the photoshoot: "This is my RAM. There aren't many like it....but this is mine. My RAM is my friend. My RAM is my life....."

I just ignored him and kept shooting....

It looks pretty sweet in the build also. Since the black and pink powder used on the RAM parts are the exact same as that used on the inside and outside of the case, they are a perfect match.

More done already....so more pictures soon!

Xtreme Member
    Pictures of the Aquaero and Card Reader reassembly....

The Aquaero face plate was sent for the pink powder treatment, along with the Lamptron face plate. Aquaero face plate on the bottom, ....looking positively pink!

But before I put the Aquaero 6 back together....I might as well go ahead and install the passive heatsink I bought for it. Black version, of course. This thing is solid, heavy, and reeks of quality....

I cut and laid down the required thermal pads for the heatsink installation.....

But then took a pause. I hadn't really decided yet whether or not I was going to water cool the Aquaero. If I'm going to....it would make sense to go ahead and put the block on now...while it's disassembled. Quick executive decision.......yes. Yes, must water cool. But....the waterblock is copper. I love copper. But not in this build. What to do.......what to do.....

So....I grab my roll of FABULOUS tape, and protect the innards. Then a few thin coats of this......

...and a few thin coats of this.....

BOOM! Yes, I like that. Put a couple of my EK fittings on also.

BOOM! Sorry. Had so much fun typing that the first time, I thought I'd throw in another one. I like how the sealer I used created a matte texture to the block. Makes it really match the inside of the CaseLabs case.

BOOM! Really sorry. Couldn't resist one more. I'll stop now.

Here is the heatsink put back on the PCB's...

...and here is the entire thing reassembled with the face plate and display back on also. I'm pretty sure this is the only pink and black Aquaero 6 with a black waterblock. BOOM!

Now....before I go and show you how awesome this thing looks inside the build....I want to show you the card reader. First....you must be subjected to a reviewing of what the card reader looked like before it was sent out for the powder treatment. Sorry to do this to you. It was grey, unfinished, had shiny silver screws, and ugly rubber cables coming out the back. It was really throwing off my mojo. See...?

But now...my freshly powdered card reader case looks black and beautiful. I even went ahead and sleeved the USB cables while I had it disassembled.

Snap the cover back on the top....and I've got one sharp lil' card reader. My mojo is realigned and reinvigorated.

Even had the PCI pass through bracket powdered black also. No need for a shiny silver part back there....

Now. Here is how they look in the build. I'm really happy. It's a clean, sharp and sexy little corner of the build. An improvement of 1000% from it's pre-powdered days.

BOOM! Hehe....had to throw in one more. Also notice the black mounting brackets for the Aquaero. These used to be silver also.

More to come very soon.....since I've stayed busy on the build the last few days! BOOM!

Xtreme Member
    More stuff going back together. Tonight, I'm displaying the PSU, the Lamptron and the flow meter.

Now....the PSU isn't done, ....because I still need to cut some acrylic for the window. But...you can get a feel for how gorgeous this thing is going to be even now. I had the top case of the PSU done in a matching black for the interior of my CaseLabs S8, and the fan grill done in a matching pink for the exterior of my S8. Mmmmmmmmm...

Imagine the window in place with some logos etched into it and lit up from the inside. Mmmmmmmm.

I showed this Lamptron face plate picture off yesterday with the Aquaero assembly pics....

....and now here it is on the front of the Lamptron. BOOM!

I also had the face plate for one of my Aquaero flow meters done in pink also.

I'm pretty sure this is a one-of-a-kind flow meter.

I've been busy getting stuff done on the build, so there will be more BOOM tomorrow!

Xtreme Member
    You'll remember that I took apart the SSD's and sent in the shells to get the powder treatment. How much....is that kitty....in the window.....

Not done....because I'm going to put a piece of acrylic in here also, etch it, and light it up. At least that's one of the two options I'm playing with in my head. This shot really shows off the texture of the matte black that CaseLabs uses. The SSD's will match the case interior purr-fectly.....

Two are twice as much fun!

The tough thing here is finding a place to mount them.....that shows them off. With the window and lighting....these things are going to be beautiful. They are worthy of prime real estate inside the case....but I'm almost out. Would love some ideas on location and mounting methods so that these get shown off! What say ye?!!!

Xtreme Member
    I'll definitely show off some mock-up pictures of the SSD's in some different locations. But on to more cabling pictures for today.....

Working on cabling for the fans on this radiator. Way too nice of a morning to stay inside....so......

Similar to the approach I took on the last radiator....I created a branching wire that lets me plug all 5 of these fans into one Aquaero channel....

Female connector on one end.....

...and male connectors on the other 5 ends.

Plug the male connectors into each of these fans, and then run the female end to the Aquaero. Minimal wiring.

Viola! More soon!

Xtreme Member
    Yesterday I finished up more of the Aquaero cabling.

First up....I present to you....the world's longest Aquabus cable! Measuring in at almost 4 feet....sleeved in beautiful black Lutro0 Telios! I contacted Guiness but apparently they don't keep official records on longest Aquabus cables. But since they didn't threaten to sue me....I'm going to claim the title. World Record baby! Until you provide proof of your own Aquabus cable that is longer.....

Naturally it has black female connectors on both ends, with some heatshrink. It will connect my AQ6 in the flex bays with the AQ5 in the rear of the build. To keep the wire somewhat hidden, it has to take a long path from the front to the back. I"m going to run master/slave mode this time instead of two independent Aquaeros. I'll show some pictures of both Aquaero's, and how they are connected, coming up soon. By the way, that's Tebow in the top picture and Taylor in this one. They're siblings. I love these dogs.

Next, I need to run some power cabling to the second Aquaero. So I measured out my desired cable run, and cut four lengths of wire, and put a female molex pin on one end, and a female ATX pin on the other. Cut some more of the Lutro0 Telios sleeving......

...and then melted the sleeve onto the pin on the ATX end....

....melted the sleeve onto the pin on the molex end....

....slid the pins into the connectors, and....BOOM! Sorry. :o I'm still on my BOOM kick, and it's tough to stop once you start. Anyway, I can now check off power cabling for the Aquaero's, since I've done both of them.

But I also need a USB cable for the AQ6. Now, of course they come with USB cables, and AC actually sleeves these for you. But....as you can see in the picture below, their idea of sleeving a cable isn't the same as mine. It's an improvement over bear wire....but come on Aquacomputer! If you're going to do it....do it right! The picture below is the USB cable that came with the units....

I replaced the sleeving with some more Telios, and then used some heatshrink to cover the ends. Much better.

OK. That's all the basic Aquaero cabling. There will be some temp sensors that need sleeving eventually, but I won't know for sure where those are going until after the plumbing is done. The only cabling I have left is one more bank of radiator fans, and a couple of solo fans on the back side. Plus the pumps still need some work on the cables. But that's not much....and then I'm ready to start blocking everything and bending some hard tubing. Can't wait!

Xtreme Member
    Radiator cabling work last night. This finishes up all the fans!

I start with doing a rough layout of how the wires should connect. Then I strip insulation at each "join" point, and open up the middle of the wire and wrap the joining wire around it.....

Then each join gets some solder. I'm notoriously bad with the solder iron....but have improved somewhat from my last build....

Then each solder join needs protection so it won't be touching the other wires underneath the sleeve. I use this tiny little heatshrink from Bitspower that barely goes over the cable. Very tight fit. I forget exactly what size this was....

But here it is compared with some normal heatshrink. You can see it's much smaller.

Here's what it looks like once it's shrunk on the wire....

Couldn't resist a shot of a perfectly crimped Lutro0 male fan pin on the Lutro0 wire with the Lutro0 crimper. His tools really work well together.

Skipped a few picture opportunities along the way....but here is the finished radiator cabling. This is the front flex bay area 240. Minimal wiring. Nice and clean.

Ready to move on to the pumps!

Xtreme Member
    Time to finish up showing the Aquaero's in the build. I already showed the back of the Aquaero 6 in the build, and the black waterblock, and all the wiring work I've done, but I haven't shown the 2nd Aquaero 5 LT that I'm running....

I'm going to use these in master/slave mode, instead of running them independently like I did in the BBBB. Mounting this second one became more of a challenge, since I'm completely out of flex bay slots already. It was going to require a little creativity. So....I got my drill....

....and some more of my FAB-U-LOUS tape, and stuck this controller right above the PSU on the back panel of the case. It tucks away pretty nicely there....

BOOM!

This is what the front of the case looks like, without the panel, but with all of the faceplates (Lamptron, Aquaero and card reader) powder coated in the same pink as the rest of the case. BOOM!

....and with the panel on. BOOM!

In this shot of the back of the case, you can see the 4 screws above the PSU that are holding the Aquaero to the back panel. Some standoffs on the other side of the back panel create plenty of space between the AQ and the panel.

I'm not usually a fan of pass through cables....but I actually really like the way these came out. The cables are clean and sleeved, and the pass through bracket itself blends right in with the powder coat treatment that CaseLabs gave it for me. This build will not be in a spot where it will be handy to access the back panel, so it was important to me to bring as many USB ports to the front as I could....

Just got another nice size package from ASUS also! Can't wait to get it out and play with it. More soon!

Xtreme Member
    Last night I parked myself in front of the TV with Game of Thrones playing, lots of sandpaper close by, all my waterblocks and pump tops, and some water and towels. Just a normal Sunday night, right?

The kind folks at EK have equipped me well. But I'm itching to polish up these blocks before I put them on. So I gathered them all together....

Started with some 320 grit. Wet sanding....

The pump tops are such large and thick pieces of acrylic, that I really wanted to start with them first. Out of the box they were pretty clear and smooth on top.....but were still kind of frosted on the sides, and had lots of machining marks on the underside. I used a heat gun to warm up the glue under the EK badge, and lifted that off.

After the first pass with 320, they looked frosted all over...

Next....600....

Frosted......but smoother.

Then 1200.....

Even smoother....

Then 2000....

Even smoother....

Then comes the plastic polish....

BOOM! After you get to this step....the blocks just gleam. Like a solid chunk of highly polished glass. These pictures don't' even really do them justice, since I have such poor lighting down here. I'll get them up in the studio with some pink coolant next.....but I'm pumped with how they came out.

These are going to look amazing stacked on top of each other in the 3d printed pump stand. More soon!

Xtreme Member
    Couple of quick pics on polishing progress before I head to the Pearl Jam concert tonight. Looking forward to it. With Eddie Vedder, ....you're never quite sure exactly what he's saying....but you know it must be important.

Worked on the GPU's and CPU yesterday. And yes....that means more GoT. Not enough of the dragon girl in the last episode. She's my favorite. Anyway....here is what the block looked like to start...

Disassembled it....

This is a before polish picture. The face of the block was already very smooth. But you see all those machining marks in the water channel? Those have to go....

....and.....they're gone.

The CPU block came out like glass. Crystal clear. The Supremacy EVO is an amazing looking block. The design of it is really nice also. I polished up the plastic innards also.

These are going to look AMAZING with the pink coolant. Soon. Very soon.

Now....I'm off to hear Eddie mumble.....

Xtreme Member
    Got the board blocked up. BOOM!

She's a pretty lil' lthing. Pretty and powerful. And Pink. And it processes. Yeah.

I wanted to keep the I/O cover....cuz it looks boss. So I dremelled off the pipe that led to it from the VRM Heatsink.

Man....EK blocks really dress up a board.....

Love this shot.....

The EK Supremacy EVO. This block is what had the black van outside my house for days while it was still under NDA.

Mmmmmm....the southbridge block for the RIVE BE is sexy.....

Sponsor shot! ASUS, EK and Corsair all well represented in this shot. Thanks for the support guys!

Got some more pictures coming soon......having some fun with the EK Nickel.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast