Thread: Facebook buys out Oculus (stock appropriately falls 7%)

Xtreme Guru

Facebook buys out Oculus (stock appropriately falls 7%)

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/26/inve...d=HP_Highlight

Facebook has just agreed to buy our favorite virtual reality developer for $2 Billion. Can't say I blame the founders for taking the money, but I'm not happy about this (apparently neither are FB shareholders).

Let the ranting commence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Bummer...specially because they have been supported by enough people to do it on their own.
    Not talking about the early adopters who were "used" to now cash in...
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe selling out was the only way to get the Oculus VR to market before Sony release their own version, or before apple steal the design/patent and launch 'the next big thing'............iReality
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtremeish
    Isn't a fallen stock value "normal" after a company makes an acquisition of another of substantial value, it doesn't really mean that the shareholders are against the acquisition? Apparently the inverted situation of rising stock value after an acquisition is quite rare.

Even though most of us was shocked about the news, we should hold out and see how the situation unfolds. Regardless of our collective hate towards the "large evil Facebook" it might turn out ok.

Fingers crossed.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Sellouts. I hope everyone who backed it on Kickstarter learns their lesson not to jump on the collectivist bandwagon because it is the trendy thing to do. Ultimately, people do what is in their own interest regardless of how they were propped up with support. Ultimate sellouts.

Xtreme Addict

Simpsons did it!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Cruncher
    This one leaves me in confusion...

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Isn't a fallen stock value "normal" after a company makes an acquisition of another of substantial value, it doesn't really mean that the shareholders are against the acquisition? Apparently the inverted situation of rising stock value after an acquisition is quite rare.

Even though most of us was shocked about the news, we should hold out and see how the situation unfolds. Regardless of our collective hate towards the "large evil Facebook" it might turn out ok.

Fingers crossed.
    Nope, usually a big buyout is positive news because it tells shareholders they are expanding in a direction that will provide more profits

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    For a second there I really thought it was already April 1st.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Nope, usually a big buyout is positive news because it tells shareholders they are expanding in a direction that will provide more profits
    But why would the shareholders think that buying Oculus Rift will be unprofitable? I don't really see how this can be bad for Facebook, only bad for Oculus and we have yet to see how this pans out.

Or is Virtual Reality a sticky thing from the past that the general middle age stock holder has no faith in?
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Fyi, sometimes shareholders prefer dividends over huge investments, that is why stock goes down in situations like this, even if the acquisition is strategically good.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Fyi, sometimes shareholders prefer dividends over huge investments, that is why stock goes down in situations like this, even if the acquisition is strategically good.
    And yet when Facebook acquired WhatsApp for: 4 billion USD cash, 12 billion in Facebook shares and 3 Billion in restricted stock. Their stock fell 3.4%, acquiring Oculus is but a fraction compared.
    Yes I do realize that WhatsApp(400 million active users) and Oculus(>50k? Developers and users) are vastly different and therefor problematic to compare, WhatsApp will technically earn Facebook money from day 1 while Oculus probably needs a year before they can release consumer version 1. But at 1/10 of the purchase price the Oculus might pay for itself faster, I hope you see my point? =)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ition-reaction
    Last edited by Kallenator; 03-27-2014 at 03:13 PM.

-150c Club Member
    The entire idea of mentioning the stock dip is to denote that the public disagrees, and that is done to support the OP's post idea that it's a bad move.
    It's normal for the stock to dip. It happens.

Now back to the meat and potato's.
    If Facebook leaves it for the most part alone, then this is fine. More money and backing.

If they get stupid with Oculus... Well... Damnit.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm glad I didn't support them. I would be throwing up right now.

A hardware peripheral with sensors, from a company that makes a living out of selling privacy.
    Yes, you can expect the worse.

Fortunately, there are alternatives in development. Check this out:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/oculu...natives-2014-3

That Infiniteye thing looks promising. Compared to this, the Rift is completely uninteresting.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    But why would the shareholders think that buying Oculus Rift will be unprofitable? I don't really see how this can be bad for Facebook, only bad for Oculus and we have yet to see how this pans out.

Or is Virtual Reality a sticky thing from the past that the general middle age stock holder has no faith in?
    Basically people think Facebook will ruin the product, which means not only a waste of $2billion on their behalf, but the public misses out on a highly anticipated product.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Guru
    That doesn't make any sense. If people thought the move would result in higher dividends, wallstreet would have been buying up the stock left and right. A 7% drop is enourmous for a big company, that means that a huge number of investors were selling based off the principle that it is worth less in the long run after the purchase. Never forget that a stock is a valuation of what the company is worth in the future, not what it is worth today.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    its due to this being the first PRODUCT actually gonna be invested in by facebook
    something that creates their name.

if bell or GM made only video games IT , junk in 3-10 years. already not a product or a resource created. they'd be forgotten long ago too

the enemy to all investors. is actual creation of the product. what all investment is preventing , the production of the product and assembly line. for the profits off of artifical scarcity.

this is the replacement for tv

add second HDMI port, scrap the usb and all that eye toy crud and prop piratory software. and you have the new monitor for the workplace with dual screen seen at the same time over each other, over lapping
    you have the 3d for all games right away
    and you have 3d movies done right

costs of screens that size and at 4K resolution is possible now, remove licences and made in china you're talking about $15 for 4k screens
    $5 for binoculars. defeating the digital stretching issues.
    and then who cares about the rest of occulus.

bring us whole vison 4k res now for $50 in 5 years replacing tv. and leave all the eye toy to the minority on consoles replacing their tv's with teh rift in 2d

and that 2 bilion was all jsut to stop the developers wasting a lifetime for propiratory software and the next wii toy. that even nintendo had to break away from to get back their market.

and in the mean time, make those whom want this being more then the tv replacement, pay those 2 guys their 2 billion to give up salary times 50 years of resource waste on useless .

the end
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Mentor
    To summarize :

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. If people thought the move would result in higher dividends, wallstreet would have been buying up the stock left and right. A 7% drop is enourmous for a big company, that means that a huge number of investors were selling based off the principle that it is worth less in the long run after the purchase. Never forget that a stock is a valuation of what the company is worth in the future, not what it is worth today.
    More investments in the Short Run = Less dividends in the long run, its basic economics. Facebook will not recover its 6.5 Billion dollar investments it made this year in less than 12 months you know... for making these investments, they have to forego some dividends to its shareholders. Assets = liabilities + shareholder's equity, Oculus + Whatsapp increase assets, do the math.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz

Xtreme Addict
    I though the future was in augmented reality and not vr...

Simpsons did it!
    Hello..., interesting.
    Hmm that doesn't seem to be the only prediction that late night cartoons have done...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Makes some sense. The real money in VR was never in gaming to start with. It was always VR colaborative business meetings, VR class rooms, VR conferencing, ect. The sooner the tech is moved out of gaming and into those areas the sooner someone see's a real payday.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    I though the future was in augmented reality and not vr...

Hello..., interesting.
    Hmm that doesn't seem to be the only prediction that late night cartoons have done...
    Actually I found out that the FarmVille part was photoshopped, its a "yard work simulator" but its close enough...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz

-150c Club Member

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Did you not read the whole article or are you holding for 1. of April? :p

This is satire. If you want to read more satire by Swapnil Bhartiya under ‘Damn-O-Crazy’ section, you can circle him and Damn-O-Crazy page on Google+, Twitter and Facebook. We also have an RSS Feed in case you are interested.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    I'm glad I didn't support them. I would be throwing up right now.

A hardware peripheral with sensors, from a company that makes a living out of selling privacy.
    Yes, you can expect the worse.
    I was a week away from actually buying into it and getting the new Dev kit 2 because it supports OSX and Linux.

Thanks for that link, time to look into alternatives.