Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Titan Z announced

Xtreme Mentor
    PCI-E 3.0 is a bottleneck for NVIDIA CEO
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Nerdy Powerlifter
    So nVidia wants to make a sequal to Titan Card called Titan Card Z.

Will have have Super Titan Cards 1 - 3?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    So nVidia wants to make a sequal to Titan Card called Titan Card Z.

Will have have Super Titan Cards 1 - 3?
    Another week another Titan card announced rofl.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Mentor
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    ill take two for my matx chassis

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    I wouldn't say those results are out of the realm of possibility. The biggest thing holding back the r9 290x was heat generation, as it got so hot it would never run at full speed throughout the entire benchmark. But slapping a watercooler on it could very well push the dual gpu version to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    ...And NOW is when AMD announces Vesuvius for $1500.

Haha, could you imagine?
    Holy crap, talk about oracle powers haha!

I am Xtreme
    And both are good 50% overpriced... Nothing much unexpected.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Honestly the 295x doesnt seem all that overpriced. Onboard 290x two of them full speed and none of issues with standard 290x. Its a great card for the fans ... I think people with multiple 290's would be wishing they had waited for this.

This dual titan is joke for gamers but im sure there will be some hardcore NV boys saying the cooler design is mindblowing and the card is epic and the engineering is iconic and the specs are legendary so they dont mind paying extra for a premium product.

Nv happy to milk the stupidity cant blame them. If they couldnt they would have bothered making a gaming only version of this.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zloyd View Post
    .... If they couldnt they would have bothered making a gaming only version of this.
    I will not say that, now that the 295x is out, they could and want certainly release a dual 780 gpu. I tend to believe it have allways been the case, but they want this titan dual gpu first out, at high price.
    Last edited by Lanek; 04-11-2014 at 01:58 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Its not nice but I do like how nvidia are losing their halo over being a superior brand. They arent losing because of tech or anything .... its just that 1000$ 3000$ cards cant be winning you many friends. Also cause I think ATI drivers have been leaps and bounds better in the last 2 years than it has been before that still behind Nvidia in terms of quality driver support but the gap is minuscule compared to what it used to be.

OT- Do you think ATI can repeat this gen again match nvidia 880gtx 650$ card with a 450-500$ offering ? I so so hope so.

Edit- Also to be fair to nvidia maybe they dont want to disable perfectly great workstation chips ...... cant sell them at 600-700 it would hurt their lower range quadro cards. I think they are in a quandry .... its easy to name call and say they are greedy etc etc but maybe the nature of the chips design and its DP performance and stuff makes it impossible for them to sell it cheaper.

Or Titan sales .... it was unprecedented ..... it made no sense was a waste of cash but the marketing ...their advantage at the time and their Halo image it turned out perfectly for them or so is the public perception we dont really know if Titan really ended up making fat profits for Nvidia. ( in india they were retailing at 1500$ I know of more than a few cases where people got themselves 2.)

This Titan Z dualie seems like a repeat of that exercise but I think they are gonna find out there isnt a market for 2k 3k cards.
    Last edited by Zloyd; 04-11-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    Holy crap, talk about oracle powers haha!
    Lol, I predicted alot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    It might backfire.

Basically they left the door wide open for AMD to kick them in the nuts. By charging 3000 dollars, AMD can make a better product than Nvidia no question if pricing stay like this.

AMD can probably sell their card for 1500 dollars and with pricing like that the cooling factor goes out the window. They could bundle a dedicated water cooling unit to cool a 290x x2 and because Nvidia is so adamant about using a double slot air cooler, AMD should be able to beat it with performance easily.

For everyone but a very select group that can use the double precision(and this isn't that great since they need quadro drivers), this card is just a ridiculous purchase.

This type of pricing makes it clear why Apple picked AMD for their Mac Pro's. This is worse pricing than Apple and makes the mac pros look like a bargain even though they are far less powerful.

I hope no consumer buys this card and only tiny niche does so Nvidia realizes that there really isn't a market for 3000 dollar videocards.
    All hopes for this fitting into a 375 watt envelope went out the window when they gave this a water cooling solution.

The only way 2x hawaii was going to fit into a 375 envelope is with some serious underclocking.

Hawaii itself uses a similar amount of power as the gtx 480 back in the day.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...hmarks,10.html

And the only way fermi, fit into a 375 watt envelope was with a cutdown gf110 and underclocking.

What we are likely to see here is something with similar power consumption to ares 2 if not a tad worse. The cooling solution is the same and the overclock on both cards are similar.

But honestly AMD approach is alot better than Nvidias with whatever consumer gtx 780 ti dual variant that comes out . The nvidia method would include underclocking and putting noise and power consumption ahead in a segment that doesn't care about it that much. Any one that's going to pay more than twice as much as two single cards, is 100% about e peen. And at this point, AMD giving people high clocks is what what they should be doing if they are going to charge this much. Thankfully, the hybrid solution should at least make the noise on these tolerable.

If Nvidia was going to release titan z without the double precision, they are likely to put it on air and clock the cards with something like 802mhz with a 850-900mhz boost. And still charge 1500 for it, without the water cooling solution.

It hasn't been really long enough to get a respin revision of hawaii. Its only been out for 4 and a half months. Basically all they can do is work with hawaii current revision and bin the cards.
    I predicted the price, the watercooling, performance vs Nvidia and the power consumption.

Looking at techpowerups review, it does beat ares for power usage.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES_II/25.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...295_X2/22.html

I also knew VRM temps were going to be potentially high.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 04-11-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zloyd View Post
    Its not nice but I do like how nvidia are losing their halo over being a superior brand. They arent losing because of tech or anything .... its just that 1000$ 3000$ cards cant be winning you many friends.
    Both AMD and Nvidia know those cards won't sell in significant numbers, they are just marketing tools to sell more of the affordable cards.

Cause we can't have a thread without a bad car analogy, they look good as a poster in Engineering Pr0n monthly just like the poster of some random super car some guy had on his bedroom wall as a kid only to then end up buying some cheap korean deathtrap.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Both AMD and Nvidia know those cards won't sell in significant numbers, they are just marketing tools to sell more of the affordable cards.

Cause we can't have a thread without a bad car analogy, they look good as a poster in Engineering Pr0n monthly just like the poster of some random super car some guy had on his bedroom wall as a kid only to then end up buying some cheap korean deathtrap.
    indeed.

everyone seems to forget that this is an entry level compute card more than gaming card. but it is a super high end gaming card. everyone realizes its "overpriced" in bag for buck, as almost ALL dual gpu cards have been, ever. this one is just a little more so as it is a bridge between tesla cards and geforce cards, if they made it cheap everyone would just buy lots of titanz cards instead of tesla cards and they would loose money in the end. at least this way gamers with the money can buy the top notch bleeding edge tech at half the price of buying the tesla card.
    Last edited by NKrader; 04-11-2014 at 06:12 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    at least this way gamers with the money can buy the top notch bleeding edge tech at half the price of buying the tesla card.
    Gamers have no use for DP GPGPU right now, though.

This card is mostly aimed at CUDA developers (and occasional gamers with no sense).

Still overpriced (and thus pointless) compared to regular Titans, though. A Halo product at best...
    Last edited by zalbard; 04-12-2014 at 04:14 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Gamers have no use for DP GPGPU right now, though.

This card is mostly aimed at CUDA developers (and occasional gamers with no sense).

Still overpriced (and thus pointless) compared to regular Titans, though. A Halo product at best...
    Except that Nvidia markets the card as a gaming card not towards professional users.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Except that Nvidia markets the card as a gaming card not towards professional users.
    I guess professional users are likely to have more sense to buy two separate Titans instead.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Addict
    I guess professional users are likely to have more sense to buy two separate Titans instead.
    ...unless they're looking to double their compute density in a given chassis.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    ...unless they're looking to double their compute density in a given chassis.

--Matt
    A chassis costs $100. Why would you pay $900 more?
    Donate to XS forums

For a card supposedly launching in April things sure are quiet ...

Have you driven a Ford, lately
    ??

Xtreme Member
    Hmm @ Lanek if they manage to do 780x2 in 999$ lots of takers. Would kinda complete their lineup with a good 1000$ offering. I think you are right its just a matter of time prolly just need to tweak titanz design a little and slap a pair of 780's in there.

Xtreme Addict
    Lol, I predicted alot more than that.

I predicted the price, the watercooling, performance vs Nvidia and the power consumption.

Looking at techpowerups review, it does beat ares for power usage.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES_II/25.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...295_X2/22.html

I also knew VRM temps were going to be potentially high.
    Funny that you "predict" something when that info has been out there since before 2014.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    A chassis costs $100. Why would you pay $900 more?
    Professional users packing systems with devices like this to maximize compute capacity should already be running sufficiently large chassis to house as many cards as a given platform can address. I'm referring to situations where systems with 3 or 4 cards are getting double the compute horsepower with cards like this when compared to titans.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 04-16-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Funny that you "predict" something when that info has been out there since before 2014.
    maybe his windows calendar is set at 2012, that'll explain his issue with the wrong working of his sentences
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    Professional users packing systems with devices like this to maximize compute capacity should already be running sufficiently large chassis to house as many cards as a given platform can address. I'm referring to situations where systems with 3 or 4 cards are getting double the compute horsepower with cards like this when compared to titans.

--Matt
    Ah, you mean someone buying 3 or 4 of these cards for a single chassis? That makes sense, although price of such a setup does make me question whether there are such people out there... Especially in sufficient numbers to warrant launch of a new product.
    Donate to XS forums

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast