Thread: DirectX 12 will also add new features for next-gen GPUs

Xtreme Member

DirectX 12 will also add new features for next-gen GPUs

DirectX 12 will indeed make lower-level abstraction available (but not mandatory?there will be backward-compatibility with DX11) on existing hardware. However, Tamasi explained that DirectX 12 will introduce a set of new features in addition to the lower-level abstraction, and those features will require new hardware. In his words, Microsoft "only teased" at some of those additions this week, and a "whole bunch more" are coming.
    http://techreport.com/news/26210/dir...-next-gen-gpus

This quote was from someone working at Nvidia. With dx 12 games not coming before holiday 2015 and the possibility of even more new features do you think nvidia's next next gen (volta) will be released to coincide? or do you think nvidia will wait til about summer 2016 to release volta?

Xtreme Addict
    So at least one year away, maybe two?

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post

nah, it will come out asap but will just not be used and be pretty pointless for a year or 2 :P

so basically the same thing :p
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    This quote was from someone working at Nvidia. With dx 12 games not coming before holiday 2015 and the possibility of even more new features do you think nvidia's next next gen (volta) will be released to coincide? or do you think nvidia will wait til about summer 2016 to release volta?
    Not sure what Volta has to do with anything, but I suppose it is at least 2 years away. We are likely to get GPUs with full DX12 support before then.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post

Just ready to sell Windows 9 with the exclusive dx12, for early 2015

Xtreme Mentor
    I don't know you really made this comment (a guy from nvidia???) but the pathetic thing about the comment is of course dx12 will add new features. did anybody saw a new dx version that didn't add features to the previous one?

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    I don't know you really made this comment (a guy from nvidia???) but the pathetic thing about the comment is of course dx12 will add new features. did anybody saw a new dx version that didn't add features to the previous one?
    the thing is microsoft has not really talked at all about any of the other features besides the performance increase which is compatible with most modern gpu's

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    the thing is microsoft has not really talked at all about any of the other features besides the performance increase which is compatible with most modern gpu's
    yes that is the lower level part.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.