Thread: New Build -- How to properly cool without overkill?

Question New Build -- How to properly cool without overkill?

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I have always been a computer enthusiast. Upgrades, tweaks, etc. And I've self-taught on 90% of the entirety of computers. Not claiming any skill. Just the knowledge of what does what, how it does that, and how it should optimally do it. I am building my first PC from scratch. I have successfully navigated the endless sea of available components save for one last hangup. I am here with the hopes that someone can suggest a viable air or liquid cooling option. It's one of the last components I need and I'm far too anal to just pick one. Here is the hardware:

Case -- Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case (E-ATX Case necessary to house my E-ATX mobo)

Harddrive -- Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64Mb Cache, Sata 6gb/s (this is apparently fairly new on the market? A 2TB HDD spinning 7200RPM with an 8GB section behaving like a SSD? Supposed to greatly reduce load times on boot and regularly ran applications. Not sure if anyone has a pro/con related)

PSU -- CORSAIR RM Series RM 1000 1000W 80 Plus Gold Cert. (Likely overkill on the PSU but, potentially running multiple NVIDIA in SLI at some point)

RAM -- G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4x4GB) 240 Pin DDR3 2400

MOBO -- ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition (At some point, I will be taking this a step further and pursuing overclocking. Mobo is overkill now but, I shouldn't outgrow it anytime soon. Plus, my CPU offers built-in overclocking options and this was the best match)

CPU -- Intel Core i7-4960X

Video Card -- NVIDIA Geforce EVGA GTX Titan Black (I do understand that the 780ti, particularly super-clocked or in sli, is a perfectly viable gaming option. However, I also render layered images through Photoshop regularly and couldn't pass on the compute power of the Titan)

I will be running windows 7 64bit.

I've read plenty of reviews however, nothing really gives me a solid heading. I would prefer a heatsink/fan combo or closed-loop liquid system. Thanks for reading.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For simplicity this AIO is a decent option and still appears to be on sale.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index...3&promoid=1230

I believe that there is free shipping for orders over $100, so if you buy any other small item that you might need, then you can get it shipped free.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Thank you for the assistance. I looked up a review on the CPU cooler you listed and it actually led me down a rabbit hole to a decent comparison test done by MAXIMUMPC. I learned that, until I decide to truly overclock the CPU and adjust the Mobo accordingly, any closed-loop water cooler system would be extreme overkill. After finding a setup as close to mine as I could, I decided on 'Cooler Master' Hyper 212 EVO. It's essentially the best bang for the buck. Best in it's size and type. Outperformed all but the biggest Heatsink/fan combos. And was only marginally outpaced by entry-level closed loop systems. I figure, when I prepare to really dig in and overclock, I'll be ready for a big boy, true water cooling system. Case is already laid out in favor of that. Again, thanks for the link. Hope I gave some insight as well.

Also, I just noticed the homage and video for your wife. So sorry for your loss. My family will put your family in our prayers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thank you for the kind words and prayers. Coming up on three years since she passed and while we miss her, I know that she is well, and that we will see her again and that is comforting.

Your choice of cooler should be fine for the time being and it certainly is lighter on the wallet...although after reading thru your list of parts it didn't look like saving a buck was part of the consideration. Nice group of components which shouldn't present a risk of being outgrown anytime soon.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    serious question, why 4960x as opposed to a 4930k?

that ram is cool its the kit i use.

personally being new at this i would use clc with the cpu and just run the gpus on air. but thats just me

Cryorig H7
    INTEL CORE i7-10700K
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E
    CORSAIR DDR4 3200 32GB
    MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 8GB
    SAMSUNG QA65Q7FN 65 TV
    DARK BASE PRO 900 REV2
    DARK ROCK 4 HEATSINK
    SEASONIC PRIME 750W
    SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB
    CRUCIAL X8 SSD 1TB
    ADATA HD770G 1TB