Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haswell Refresh K to have better TIM and Broadwell-K got Iris Pro - VR-Zone China

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
    Sell my monitor because of that? AMD apu's support 2560 via dvi so that just means if I build an itx netbox then AMD will get the nod. Is it that hard to support dual link dvi?
    There seem to be plenty of DP to DL-DVI adapters around, you could use that.

I believe you will need an active adapter to go above 1080p, like this.

Or you could buy a small and cheap video card that will do a better job at HTPC things as well.

Either way, Intel is unlikely to invest any resources into DVI. In fact, they will likely remove it in favour of more compact (and faster) HDMI and DP.
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-21-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thumbs down Intels z87 support

Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Soooooo what they should have released the first time?...

-PB

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I thought about that when Westmere came out for Intel's first 6 core but every time Intel adds more cores, most programs aren't ready to take advantage of the extra cores.

The problem with Intel keeping these extra cores CPU's only on their extreme editions is that the really make no incentive for programmers to take advantage of it because the pricing ensures these processors only occupy a tiny niche.

Intel for the last 4 years, has been nipping away at overclocking and it seems to be a byproduct of them becoming more and more focused on mobile CPU's for consumers and only really caring about desktops on the business side.

There is little reason why Iris pro couldn't have come to Haswell at the same time as it did mobile.

Intel is a big reason why desktop sales have slumped. By focusing on mobile consumer CPU's, Intel has brought little innovation to desktop CPU's for a long time. For anyone overclocking, Intel has brought nothing interesting since sandy bridge. Particularly their mainstream lineup(anything below 4770k), I feel these chips just feel like overclocked versions of Intels mobile chips without really taking advantage of the desktop platform. Although inferior in every aspect, AMD FX 83xx series feel more like true desktop processors than anything outside of Intel's highest end enthusiast series. And even here, the problem with these chips are they are shipping too late and they don't have enough programs to take advantage of the extra cores.

Add in the constant new motherboards needed for Intel processors and it becomes harder to justify these new desktops.
    Yes, It seems to me Intel is very much to blame in lower desktop sales, the mainstream k models are an afterthought on the last 2 generation i5 &i7s

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Second half of 2014: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...nyon-more.html

Personally, I am more excited for the Pentium 20th Anniversary Edition.
    So, how is it possible the new Pentium 20th Anniversary Edition works on 8 and 9 series boards and 4970k only works on z97

Got a MAXIMUS VI FORMULA a few months back, no CPU yet, I was sorta hoping Haswell refresh would fix the crappy package Intel choose, seems it will. And I can't benefit without taking a hit on a almost new board, and waiting months after z97 release like I did for the MAXIMUS z87 Really makes me sick to ever buy an enthusiast mobo again.

Just super happy about being a Intel customer, and most likely getting a mediocre clocking chip for my new awesome z87 build.
    Or pay extra for a binned chip from someone and take my chances on used delidded cpu

My last build was a air cooled P55 m-ATX gamer in 2009, just before that it was a x58 watercooled rig. I've upgraded GPUs and ssds 3 times since then, and not spent a dime on Intel products till now.

I see this trend continuing for me, and my truly favorite hobby has forever changed for the worse, thanks Intel for driving the bus to such a destination.
    Last edited by the finisher; 03-22-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

I am Xtreme
    ^

I feel your pain.

I think I'll be switching to *-E chips and [very] long update cycles myself...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks man, sucks for us all, longer update cycles, and much worse I think, increasing prices particularly at the high end. Waiting to see what a nice x99 rig will cost.

I really see this as bad for Intel to kick even some of the shrinking number of enthusiasts who still have some excitement about their products. Most folks I know don't care and buy cheap crap.

Such is life with out any real competition at the high end.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12