Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift Developer Kit 2 Announced at GDC 2014

Xtremeish

Oculus Rift Developer Kit 2 Announced at GDC 2014

Oh my! It's almost here

Today at GDC 2014 Oculus VR has announced availability of their second Oculus Rift developer kit, widely referred to as the DK2. The unit, which includes positional tracking, low-persistence, and other major improvements over the DK1, is available for pre-order starting today for $350 and is expected to ship in July.
    The DK2 has a 5-inch 1080p OLED display with low-persistence technology. Positional tracking is achieved with an array of IR LEDs and a custom camera that will ship with the DK2. For the new Oculus Rift dev kit, the IR LEDs seen on Crystal Cove have been hidden behind an IR-transparent housing, so no more white dots on the outside of the unit. The lenses have been improved over the DK1; they are larger and clearer across the board. The camera that ships with the device is custom made by Oculus VR, not a rebrand of some existing device. Thanks to the camera and the IR LED array, the unit is capable of positional tracking with sub-millimeter accuracy.
    Road to vr:
    http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-...pecs-gdc-2014/

Other Coverage:
    ---------------

Engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/o...lopment-kit-2/

Tested Hands-On: Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 Virtual Reality Headset
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3Wli7s6KY

The Verge:
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/19/55...it-2-announced

Reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/

Spec:
    http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

Homepage:
    http://www.oculusvr.com/

Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 Announcement Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXrjTh7vHc
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Much awesome.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

I am Xtreme
    so we are already at 350$... next year or so when they plan the retail part to be released we are probably at 450$ and then it gets pretty much uninteresting for many people.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    so we are already at 350$... next year or so when they plan the retail part to be released we are probably at 450$ and then it gets pretty much uninteresting for many people.
    That's no more price gouging than 4k resolution, multiple monitors, gsync, and all the other stuff out. Plus this actually interesting and engaging for most people. All the previous stuff is pretty much a yawn when it comes to gaming.

I've got one of the old dev kits and it's very impressive. Much more so than any sort of high resolution/multiscreen system I've used. It's hard to state how freaky it can be at times.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    I paid about $350 for my monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtremeish
    We don't know if this VR revolution will kick into overdrive or not, it might flop... However, keeping a positive note on the matter and putting into perspective what the experience of such a device is compared to a monitor then I do not think 350USD is asking too much, IF that becomes the final price however, we shall see...
    That being said, development kits are not cheap to produce, low volume and electronics do not go hand in hand, the current price may be deflated by Oculus to get more hardware out to developers.
    Consumer price point is projected to be sub 300USD.

Last but not least, high quality monitors aren't cheap. Nor is OLED even close to becoming affordable in our market segment. You might argue still that a VR kit is just an extra bit of expense to enjoy something in a different way, I think it will become a game changer, and based on my personal experience with developer kit number 1 I will be anticipating it with enthusiasm.
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

I am Xtreme
    It has an OLED display, and comes up with a positional tracking device - two things you don't get with a regular screen. I believe the price is justified. Especially considering small unit batches.
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-21-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Price is not that much a problem as possible headaches, nausea, etc.
    Also looking at something so close to you for too long.
    I'm worried about all that. I'd like to hear from users before buying one.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    Price is not that much a problem as possible headaches, nausea, etc.
    Also looking at something so close to you for too long.
    I'm worried about all that. I'd like to hear from users before buying one.
    It depends. Keep in mind that some people just get motion sickness, sea sickness, whatever. Other people get eye strain from high resolutions.

I've got the 1.0 kit and I haven't had any problems. For the people that did the issue was latency. The latency was just enough to get them sick over an extended period. However one of the big fixes of the new hardware was to reduce the latency to the point where it's not detectable, and there have been no reports of anyone having any issues on the newer hardware.

Also keep in mind that official support in game is limited. A lot of us have been using cobbled together fixes to enable the rift on various games, so the quality was hit or miss which contributed to the sickness problem.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

I am Xtreme
    I tried the 1st dev kit, and my issues were exactly low res and blurriness in motion, everything else was fine. So it appears they are on the right track.

Motion sickness issue will vary depend on the person - input lag is low, so I had no issues myself.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Motion sickness issue will vary depend on the person - input lag is low, so I had no issues myself.
    We don't really know that yet, there isn't enough user experience data from the newer versions to determine what is being the major cause.

I am not saying that some might not suffer issues regardless, but the problems so far seems to be related to the hardware not the person.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 03-21-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Bought DK1, preordered DK2, will buy consumer version. It's a cool toy that doesn't cost more than some tablet. Haven't been this excited about a tech since my first 3D card. I mean, you feel like you're' inside a game, and everything is life-size. Personally, I think gaming & :banana::banana::banana::banana: will never be the same. And the motion sickness can be overcome with gradual usage.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    We don't really know that yet, there isn't enough user experience data from the newer versions to determine what is being the major cause.
    Simulator sickness is a fairly well-studied problem. The biggest factor is input lag (assuming the test system has correct positional tracking).
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-21-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Holding off from DK2. I got a DK1 and it really taught me how high my standards are.

Tested has a really good advice: buy with your friends.
    Last edited by blindbox; 03-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Xtremeish
    Simulator sickness is a fairly well-studied problem. The biggest factor is input lag (assuming the test system has correct positional tracking).
    And yet it is not very well understood, and has taken extensive development from both Valve and Oculus to reach acceptable levels.

The physical side-effects of VR are well-documented and go by many names: simulator sickness, VR sickness, VORTAN[1], stillness illness[2] and others. Despite extensive research, the precise physical mechanisms are still poorly understood. This is not unique to VR – the causes of most forms of motion-induced illness such as seasickness and spacesickness are also poorly understood. Although we don’t understand the physiology well, we do understand many of the things that cause it. A few of these causes are inherent in the desired experience, but many of them can be solved with good (though complex) engineering. But because all the symptoms are basically the same whatever the cause, it is often difficult to discern whether you’re running into a physiological limit or if you simply have your math wrong. This is especially tricky to track down when many of the symptoms take twenty minutes or more to manifest.
    http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/vr-sick...pers-can-help/

I am Xtreme
    And yet it is not very well understood, and has taken extensive development from both Valve and Oculus to reach acceptable levels.
    Yeah, engineering to combat the problem is very difficult. But I feel like good progress is being made.
    Donate to XS forums

I am Xtreme

I am not saying that some might not suffer issues regardless, but the problems so far seems to be related to the hardware not the person.
    Even if the lag would be zero, you can't eliminate this problem, as long as they are not able to somehow fool the brain to ignore other sensory inputs other then the visual ones (ear, limb movement etc.)
    Motion sickness is foremost a sickness resulting of conflicting sensory input. As for all things people can get used to it to a certain degree and also suffer from it differently.

Hell even after over 100 years of cars and trains, people still get motion sick from that.

Xtreme Addict
    When I started using TrackIR, got sick for about an hour. It just screws with your brain. Your head moves, the view moves, but not in the way your brain expects.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

I am Xtreme
    Motion sickness is foremost a sickness resulting of conflicting sensory input.
    That's a nice way to put it, yeah.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Member
    I have used the V1 of OR and I loved it, Im waiting for user feedback on this until I consider buying the v2 version. As Much as it is awesome, something might come up which will only be uncovered once people start using them.
    Work/Gaming: i7-950|GB X58A-UD7|12GB Trident BBSE/XMS3|460GTX|WD 1TB BLK|Pioneer DVDRW|CM HAF-X|Win 7 Pro 64 bit|U2711|HX850|G500|G510
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    I protect my gskills like how i protect my balls
    Heatware: jimba86
    Bench:Custom Giga-bench|Win 7/XP SP3|WD 36GB Raptor|Dell 22|AX1200|MS intellimouse
    Bench 1:i7 930|water 2.0 performer|Gigabyte X58A-OC | 4GB corsair 1866 CL7|GTX 295 Quad SLI
    Bench 2:E8500|NHD14|P45-UD3P(2nd PCIEx16 slot broken.. )|2GB Corsair 8888 Cl4|GTX 260 SOC
    (Bench 3: In Progress) 4770K|F1EE|Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force| 4GB GTX1 /8GB Gskill TridentX 2666CL11 ney pro|5870 x3 on KPC tek9 slim 5.0/7.0
    Bench 4 E8600|NHD14|REX|2GB Corsair 1800 Cl7|Asus GTX 280
    Bench 5 (TBC): FX?|990FX-UD7|Gskill Flare 2000 Cl7|6970
    Server/renderbox: G3258|TT Water 2.0|Gigabyte Z87 Sniper M5|8GB Gskill Sniper 2133|gigabyte 5750|FD NODE 804

Xtremeish
    Yeah, engineering to combat the problem is very difficult. But I feel like good progress is being made.
    I agree! =)

Even if the lag would be zero, you can't eliminate this problem, as long as they are not able to somehow fool the brain to ignore other sensory inputs other then the visual ones (ear, limb movement etc.)
    Motion sickness is foremost a sickness resulting of conflicting sensory input. As for all things people can get used to it to a certain degree and also suffer from it differently.
    True, it will never be "gone", but the developer teams seem to be very open about this. They know they aren't ready, they know which issues that still are inhibiting their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    When I started using TrackIR, got sick for about an hour. It just screws with your brain. Your head moves, the view moves, but not in the way your brain expects.
    TrackIR only tracks your head as if it where on a stationary pole, their new tracking system tracks you like an actual human. Which amongst other things allows you to lean forward in the game.

This is a cool demo actually, notice the soft look, probably very low resolution.

Unreal 4 Oculus Rift Demos, Geforce GTX 770 on Maximum settings:
    Last edited by Kallenator; 03-23-2014 at 03:27 AM.

could you please stop posting about oculus rift...my wallet cries in pain!

btw anyone know how oculus rift copes with huge headphones like razer tiamat?

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    could you please stop posting about oculus rift...my wallet cries in pain!

btw anyone know how oculus rift copes with huge headphones like razer tiamat?
    I have Razer Tiamat, Grado PS1000, Sennheiser hd280pro, Steelseries Siberia V2, and Etymotic ER4-P at home. So I have personal experience with your set and other types as well.

The issue with the larger headphones depends on the shape of your head honestly. Part of the cushion is going to land on the strap, thus it's not going to "stick" to your skin the way most headphones do. It's not normally an issue, but a bit more sound will bleed out of the headset than normal. However if you tighten the band a tad bit more than normal, and your head is such that this doesn't cause discomfort, it's a complete non issue. For headphones like the Tiamat (unless mine is different than yours) where the strap just adjusts on it's own, and the cushions are fairly fat, there's never an issue at all. On the other hand if it's one with various click-stops along the way and has thin padding, you might have some issues.

I am Xtreme
    Donate to XS forums

sigh!
    my interest towards this product just went from 100% to negative 20

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast