Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft DirectX 12 is DirectX 11 with Mantle Integrated say what....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    Just to clarify, nVidia and AMD were talking to MS about DX12 for 4 years. MS started work on DX12 last year.
    That would make sense.

On a side note, you can get near-zero driver overhead in OpenGL today... See slides.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    Just to clarify, nVidia and AMD were talking to MS about DX12 for 4 years. MS started work on DX12 last year.
    Preliminary development of DX12 started in 2009 actually. In June of that year, MS brought a working group together with NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, ARM, and several other players in the engineering & game development business.

The hard level coding started last year.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    AMD can't seem to get a break...

This time MS is spoiling their party not nVIDIA
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry PR guys, I've been around enough time to get hyped again with another DX-thing.
    I'll wait and see.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    Sorry PR guys, I've been around enough time to get hyped again with another DX-thing.
    I'll wait and see.
    yes i agree also i don't think amd didn't think microsoft's reaction. i believe they have calculated it.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Preliminary development of DX12 started in 2009 actually. In June of that year, MS brought a working group together with NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, ARM, and several other players in the engineering & game development business.

The hard level coding started last year.
    Before or after AMD announced Mantle? Because the way I see it, Microsoft has only moved after AMD announced Microsoft were never making DX12, Valve released a free gaming orientated OS, Nvidia threw in with SteamOS, Windows for games Live died, AMD built an entire API that could run on multiple OS's and Sony made them realise the Console market secretly hated them...

You almost make it sound like were always planning to support the PC gaming, not like a series of events made them so scared they realised if they didn't do something Apple really was going to buy them.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sandy (Microsoft)
    Is this marketing spin?

We (the product team) read the comments on twitter and game development/gamer forums and many of you have asked if this is real or if our marketing department suddenly received a budget infusion. Everything you are reading is coming directly from the team who has brought you almost 20 years of DirectX.
    Source

Answering the question with "No" would have been a lot better than telling us that the Microsoft Production Team browses the internet. Microsoft doesn't directly deny it - why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sandy (Microsoft)
    Q: When will I be able to get my hands on DirectX 12?
    A: We are targeting Holiday 2015 games.
    Source

So after AMD announces and implements Mantle for one of the most popular gaming titles available on console and PC (Battlefield 4), we are to believe Microsoft just co-incidentally planned to run a PR campaign for their proposed DirectX 12, practically 2 years in advance, which was never even mentioned once in the last 4 years? I call bull.
    Intel 6700K @ 4.3 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
    4x4GB Corsair DDR3-2800
    GTX980Ti MSI Lightning
    Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
    4 x Intel 80GB x25-m SSD's RAID0
    Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W

Xtreme Cruncher
    I fully believe DX12 has been in development in for quite some time. However, I suspect that AMD had been campaigning for reduced overhead and "close to metal" programming and Microsoft/nVidia weren't terribly interested. So, I think that in response, AMD decided to go ahead and develop Mantle. The (relative) success of Mantle seemed to have pushed Microsoft and nVidia to come up with something in response. The fact that DX12 will run on existing hardware seems to indicate it's not really adding many new features?

I could be (I probably am) completely off the mark here, but this is what it seems to me.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I fully believe DX12 has been in development in for quite some time. However, I suspect that AMD had been campaigning for reduced overhead and "close to metal" programming and Microsoft/nVidia weren't terribly interested. So, I think that in response, AMD decided to go ahead and develop Mantle. The (relative) success of Mantle seemed to have pushed Microsoft and nVidia to come up with something in response. The fact that DX12 will run on existing hardware seems to indicate it's not really adding many new features?

I could be (I probably am) completely off the mark here, but this is what it seems to me.
    Just to add, Microsoft probably paid AMD for DX12 to be based on Mantle. Johan of DICE seems to be implying that DX12 has a lot of Mantle integrated. Hey, doesn't this mean that engine devs doing Mantle right now will benefit them in the long run?

https://twitter.com/repi/status/446787503953944576

https://twitter.com/repi/status/446718535616585730
    Last edited by blindbox; 03-22-2014 at 04:31 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by chinobino View Post
    Source

So after AMD announces and implements Mantle for one of the most popular gaming titles available on console and PC (Battlefield 4), we are to believe Microsoft just co-incidentally planned to run a PR campaign for their proposed DirectX 12, practically 2 years in advance, which was never even mentioned once in the last 4 years? I call bull.

Thats not how software development, special for basic/mandatory stuff like APIs work.

Xtreme Member
    Some major D3D11 performance gains in an upcoming driver from Nvidia:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...y-Improvements

I am Xtreme
    Well its no surprise that you can tone down the overhead with better drivers, a thing at which ati/amd lacked and still do as we have seen in the past.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Well its no surprise that you can tone down the overhead with better drivers, a thing at which ati/amd lacked and still do as we have seen in the past.
    WHere have you seen they was lack about it ? seriously ..... Explain us how you have come to this conclusion.. Because the AMD gpu's was offtly faster bottlenecked by the CPU in the review and test done ? .... not because the gpu's was need be feeded correctly by the gam engine / code ? who was not the case ?
    Last edited by Lanek; 03-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    Great, more ms garbage to deal with.
    Come on ms, go out of business already ^^ !

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    So, until 2015 DirectX 11 will rule
    Lemme correct that for ya!

A much more accurate statement now, especially considering ~65% of PC's out there currently have DirectX 11 graphics. And what fraction of 1% have cards that support Mantle? The only reason why developers have any incentive to use mantle other than the fact that AMD is writing the check. The idea that parent companies like Electronic Arts would actually allow a game to be delayed because of a feature that helps a few gamers system's perform better without a LARGE sum of money to quell EA's share holders and the top management.

DirectX is free, backwards compatible, developers overwhelmingly use it even though it costs money, and DX12 will work for AMD cards as well.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Mentor
    They are not only compete in a hardware

now driver/api is a commercial words too ?
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12