Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POOR Performance ZALMAN RESERATOR MAX 3 DUAL !! MAX temp 96 C with 3770K def clock...

Xtreme Addict

POOR Performance ZALMAN RESERATOR MAX 3 DUAL !! MAX temp 96 C with 3770K def clock...

THE SUPER COOLER ( I HOPE BEFORE )

Xtreme Addict
    LETS START

don't forget the fan

Last edited by Gaul; 03-17-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    ATTACH

- USE MX-4 PASTE
    - Thermal paste was print perfectly on the top of the IHS, then no issue about missed-place with the waterblock

i've tried everything, start from small rice drop, vertical pattern, put thin layer over the entire IHS and in the picture the last one i'll try and shoot. but the result is similiar
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-20-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    RIG
    - i7 3770K @ def clock aka clear CMOS
    - MSI z77 GD-65 GAMING
    - PLATINUM 1000 watt Seasonic
    - 8 GB RAM 2666 tridentx

OS
    - WIN 7 64 BIT

SOFTWARE
    - Hyper PI 0.99b
    - CPUZ 1.68.0.x64
    - Real Temp 3.70
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-18-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I know it won't be the entire cause of 96C, but I use about 1/8th that much MX-5 with excellent results...
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Addict
    sorry 4 my bad english

i've tried everything, start from small rice drop, vertical pattern, put thin layer over the entire IHS and in the picture the last one i'll try and shoot. but the result is similiar
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-17-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    RESULT

Question is,
    Do i got defect ones or i missed something here ?
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-21-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Tried using just air cooler?
    Asus Rampage IV Formula X79 | EK-MOSFET ASUS RF4 - Acetal Copper
    Core i7-3630K@4.5GHz 1.4V | EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Kit Ripjaws Z (4x4GB), DDR3 1600MHz, CL 9
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC | EK-FC Titan SE Copper - Plexi Full Cover | EK-FC Titan SE Backplate
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Xtreme Member
    Looks like you are using the cpu fan header with PWM. Make sure the BIOS is set to 100% in the profile. Otherwise that pump might be running really slow...
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

That or bypass using the motherboard connection altogether.

Zalman's water cooling setups have always left a lot to be desired in the past.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobsters View Post
    Tried using just air cooler?
    here, with intel stock cooler, MX-4 paste

Quote Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
    Looks like you are using the cpu fan header with PWM. Make sure the BIOS is set to 100% in the profile. Otherwise that pump might be running really slow...
    Use auto setting for fan speed coz CLEAR CMOS, not 100 % BUT im sure Fan already full speed, you can hear Very Loud

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    That or bypass using the motherboard connection altogether.

already bybass WB 3pin to 4 pin molex, and still similiar result around 92-94 C with hyper pi.
    but fan still use mobo 4 pin, coz already full speed
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-21-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    I know it won't be the entire cause of 96C, but I use about 1/8th that much MX-5 with excellent results...
    yes, i was thinking that that was ALOT of tim.

yeah i dont know what people are expecting with zalman products.

they have always looked really technical and preformed mediocre at best.

and OP, i have my 4930k running at 4.5ghz at those same temps with an h80i.. if your numbers are way off of reviews of the zalman product then i would rma, those numbers look worse than most air coolers and thats not right. everything your doing with mounting looks fine, abit too much TIM but that shouldnt do that to temps.

is it sitting tight? from the looks of the heatsink after removal it doesnt look like the heatsink gets really tight. the tim is really thick like it didnt get pushed out of the way. if i did that my my setup the tim would be alot lighter in the cpu area as the pressure would squeeze most of it out.
    Last edited by NKrader; 03-18-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    @ ALL = tested without CPU, WB 3 pin with molex and fan with 100 % speed [ set BIOS profile ] LOUD HERE
    run for +/- 20 minutes

RAD with cool temp

and

but when i touch WB cooper its around 37-39 C temp, its warm

WELL, is that normal ? any advice ?
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-19-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    is it sitting tight? from the looks of the heatsink after removal it doesnt look like the heatsink gets really tight. the tim is really thick like it didnt get pushed out of the way. if i did that my my setup the tim would be alot lighter in the cpu area as the pressure would squeeze most of it out.
    im pretty sure its tight

Sounds like that integrated pump throws a fair bit of heat. That surface shouldn't be warm like that in a well designed system.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like that integrated pump throws a fair bit of heat. That surface shouldn't be warm like that in a well designed system.
    yup, the bad news is the cooler can't RMA

Xtreme Addict
    You could have a defective unit. Does it not come with a warranty?

What are your Flow rates?
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    You could have a defective unit. Does it not come with a warranty?

What are your Flow rates?
    Too bad ZALMAN USA ZALMAN TECH DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY
    OR OTHERWISE, FOR THE PRODUCT. FOR U.S. CUSTOMERS only
    and ZALMAN USA said they don't have MAX 3 DUAL
    * buy at korea with my family on vacation
    SEOUL, Yongsan, Sunin Plaza, Comoasis Store, anyone read korean ?
    7 March 2014, price 147.000 WON

then i'll send email to ZALMAN KOREA but they not REPLAY
    even i ask to ZALMAN USA about ZALMAN KOREA addres ZALMAN USA did not replay too
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, no warranty or support means that you either buy a different unit, or take it apart and examine.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Well, no warranty or support means that you either buy a different unit, or take it apart and examine.
    You right, but i didn't know ZALMAN policy before this, if i knew then i wouldn't buy or even touch it. MY BAD
    but i look forward for Zalman KOREA reply my email, before take a part and examine

Does anyone know ZALMAN RESERATOR MAX 3 DUAL review? plz give me the link. if u don't mind
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    LETS START

That is waaaaay to much thermal paste on that surface.
    Keeping in mind that the paste should only bridge both surfaces by eliminating air gaps between them, I'd say this amount is likely creating a thermal barrier = more heat.
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalltimer View Post
    That is waaaaay to much thermal paste on that surface.
    Keeping in mind that the paste should only bridge both surfaces by eliminating air gaps between them, I'd say this amount is likely creating a thermal barrier = more heat.
    that's my last shoot, thx to remind me

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    ATTACH
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-20-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    @ all = with metode thin layer over the entire IHS, use MX-4 paste

Last edited by Gaul; 03-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Judging from the fact that the block on top of the CPU (with the integrated pump) is actually heating up just by turning it on, we can safely say there's only 5 things that can go wrong here.

Current condition we know of from your description of the problem:
    the pump is running, but not pumping fluid (the heat doesn't get transferred to the radiator), probable due to:

1. Since you're connecting the pump into the MB, you may want to check the MB BIOS for fan speed control. Make sure it's on either Standard or Turbo profile (not silent). If the pump is on PWM control, having it on silent profile would barely make the pump operate. Best way to test this one is just to connect the pump to a standard molex plug from the PSU using an adapter instead of connecting it to the MB.

(NVM this one, just noticed you already taken this possibility into consideration.)

2. a stuck air pocket in the pump - in which case, when you shake/turn it from side to side, it should have dislodged already. So highly unlikely unless the channels are way too small. In which case, you need to use something like a syringe to force fluid into the pump and dislodge that air pocket.

3. faulty pump - it's just plain broken. Won't spin to pump the fluid, but still generating heat.

4. there is no fluid in the first place. They forgot to put fluid in when they assembled it or it leaked out.

5. there is something in the tubing/radiator that is preventing flow. Sometimes during construction, metal shavings get into the rads. If they didn't flush it out, it may damage pumps and/or introduce blockage.

In any case, since RMA is out of the question, you just need to test each theory one by one. Starting with ones that doesn't require dismantling the unit. At this point, I don't think you can just try remounting it over and over again.
    The temps is just way off. Something is wrong with the reserator. We just need to know what.
    Last edited by washu9; 03-22-2014 at 01:00 AM. Reason: clarification

Xtreme Addict
    @^ = thanks for the input, but I am still waiting for a reply email from ZALMAN korea, I worried that I opened this ZALMAN. they refused my RMA or void warranty

Quote Originally Posted by washu9 View Post

1. Since you're connecting the pump into the MB, you may want to check the MB BIOS for fan speed control. Make sure it's on either Standard or Turbo profile (not silent). If the pump is on PWM control, having it on silent profile would barely make the pump operate. Best way to test this one is just to connect the pump to a standard molex plug from the PSU using an adapter instead of connecting it to the MB.

(NVM this one, just noticed you already taken this possibility into consideration.)

to this point, I've done it "connect the pump to a standard molex plug from the PSU using an adapter"
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-22-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast