Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Change

Xtreme Cruncher

Question Team Change

So I go to check my stats and such and Boinc manager says I belong to Ripple Labs. How did that happen?How have I been hijacked?
    Last edited by 99Hawk; 03-11-2014 at 04:09 PM.

That's disturbing!
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme crazy bastid

Better go check my stats!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    get drunk and forget that you changed it?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post

Xtreme Cruncher
    Negative. I was shocked. How do I change back? I do not know how it happened.Wasn't me that did the switch.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hey Canuck Hawk99,

Goto the WCG main Page and make sure your signed in. Then select from top menu "My Contribution / My Team". In new web page that opens up look half way down for a rectangular green icon that says: "Quit this Team" and click on it. Once you have quit Ripple Lab, then just use the left menu option "My Team / Find Team" to rejoin Xtreme System WCG team.

Good luck.

PS: You may also want to change your WCG access password by going to "Settings / Login Manager"
    Last edited by jeanguy2; 03-11-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    There is a Thread on WCG forum regarding a similar unwanted account switch to ripple lab see here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...d_thread,36475

My team changed from HardOCP to Ripple Labs this morning after the AM statistics update. I quit Ripple Labs and re-joined HardOCP this morning after I noticed the discrepancy. Seems strange to me that my team would change all by itself.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Ripple Labs is getting 50-75 new members each day. Maybe my userid has been hacked?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanguy2 View Post
    There is a Thread on WCG forum regarding a similar unwanted account switch to ripple lab see here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...d_thread,36475
    Exactly what happened to me .

Sounds like foul play from Ripple Labs
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey Canuck Hawk99,

Goto the WCG main Page and make sure your signed in. Then select from top menu "My Contribution / My Team". In new web page that opens up look half way down for a rectangular green icon that says: "Quit this Team" and click on it. Once you have quit Ripple Lab, then just use the left menu option "My Team / Find Team" to rejoin Xtreme System WCG team.

Good luck.

PS: You may also want to change your WCG access password by going to "Settings / Login Manager"
    Thanks jeanguy2 !

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yes something not good. Changed back this morning with a stronger password. In a few weeks it'll be 4 years since I received that fateful E-mail from Movieman!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    We should really wait for Knreed, WCG tech, to complete his ongoing investigation on these incidents before making unproven statement(s)

We are investigating what could have happened.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    na just people trying to steal the points for themselfs by associating their wallet with peoples accounts.

na just people trying to steal the points for themselfs by associating their wallet with peoples accounts.
    and this is why crunching for money is bad...

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Cruncher
    We should really wait for Knreed, WCG tech, to complete his ongoing investigation on these incidents before making unproven statement(s)
    Yes I agree but witch burning's are so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    and this is why crunching for money is bad...
    what's the story on crunching for money? I'm a bit out of the loop.
    Overtaking inactive user stats like no other

Xtreme Cruncher
    If you join the Ripple Labs WCG team you get paid for your daily points. It is a way of getting a "currency" out to people and get them using it to create a market. Instead of "mining" with your CPU or GPU for bitcoins or other crypto currencies you crunch WCG work units.

My electric bill is now paid and I usually have $20-25 left over. Can now save for some hardware upgrades. At current prices I do not think it is worth investing in but certainly is helpful if you are crunching anyway.

Not for everyone and seems to be controversial with some people. There have been problems with some people getting paid but that seems mostly fixed. They did say it was beta.

There was also some misunderstanding about the points. It is thought by some that if you leave RL team then you leave behind the points you made there. Not true. I know this first hand. The person who wrote it did not understand how WCG works and was not a good communicator anyway.

As far as team loyalty that is something for each to decide. I started with WCG the first day they started. Registered Member Since: 11/16/04 23:01:21. I joined for the science and I remain for the science. Everything else is secondary or less. What I do with my PCs and electricity is my business. And I am not the first person here who has crunched for other teams.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 03-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    The issue with leaving stuff behind isn't the WCG points. Last I read, if you crunch for Ripple Labs and then move to another team you forfeit any monetary reward you have earned but not already been paid. It's a hook to keep you with them and keep the company smelling like roses for their "community spirit".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    THe pay out is daily.

When the system first started there was a problem with paying people who had been with WCG for a long time. People joining new had some problems at times but they were fixed quickly. It took a while, weeks, for them to under stand it was the old timers who were not getting paid.

I joined RL Dec 15. Never got a single payout so after several emails I left 12-27. 1-4 I got an email saying they had figured out the problem and it would soon be fixed and sorry for the delay. I re-joined and another week or so went by before a I got a huge payout. For every point for every day I was on the RL team. Even the period between 12-15 and 12-27. There are times a payout "fails" but in every case all but one eventually goes through.

I have been reluctant to talk about all this because I did not want to influence people to leave their team. There are other ways to contribute to a team other than just points. I would think helping people start crunching or helping them with problems would have some value.

My current plan is: I have purchased some video cards and have started mining crypto coins in the hopes that I can pay it all off and meet my expenses, squirrel away a few coins in the hopes of a major increase in value like what happened with Bitcoin, and then be able to contribute again to F@H, GPUGrid and WCG in a more significant way. If WCG ever gets another GPU project I will have 4 AMD GPUs and 3 Nvidia GPUS to put on it. Once I have made enough to pay off the cost of the GPUs they will go on F@H and GPUgrid until WCG gets a GPU project. If the value of my coins goes up enough I hope to build my dream machine of 4x16 core AMD quad socket WCG rig.

Since I will never leave WCG, baring death or some dooms day catastrophe, the XRP from RL will enable me to pay the electric of running 7 GPUs full bore, as it does now.

Since XRP is pre-mined and back and controlled by a corporation many in the bitcoin world think it is evil. Those in the XRP camp think mining virtual coins is evil because it is adding to our carbon footprint and causing the prices of GPUs to sky rocket so gamers cannot afford the better cards.

So I am an evil basturd no matter where I go as I do it all. I mine, I get paid XRP for crunching, I play games. If any of these define evil for you I would suggest you have no idea what evil is. I have seen evil, true evil. All this PC/internet/mining/game playing/forums/crunching for $$ is all silly buggers. It is nothing at all evil. A bit insane maybe, sometimes fun and sometimes maddening.

I do agree money can and does bring the evil out or at least bad out in some people but it was already there. Money does not make anything evil other than gets it's attention.

Getting hacked is a pain in the butt. Like a flat tire maybe. Not what you want. But as long as your bank, credit card and identity is safe it is little more than irritating. My Google authenticator has 10 accounts on it. I use a password manager and a paper address/account book and everything backed up to a thumb drive in a fire safe. If you are smart enough to use the internet and participate in forums and use a password like 1234abcd, password, lassie, sex, ilovesex, ilovejesus or just x, do not ask for my sympathy if you get hacked.

As far as bitcoin mining itself and how it draws bad people only wanting money; I have read in some of the forums of people struggling just to survive and using bitcoin type currency to feed themselves and pay the bills. A man with a deteriorating spine who can no longer walk, a man layed off for a long time and unemployment ran out. One guy claimed he would not eat if it were not for crypto mining. The smarter people know how to trade on the exchanges and make money. Just stories? maybe but I am just trying to say you can see evil where ever you want to. Maybe it is best not to judge too harshly what you really do not know that much about. Like who is mining and why they do it. The cases I mentioned were asking for nothing except help in getting something to work or how to do something.

Science is now getting a lot more work done because of people hoping to make make money. Some people only crunch for ego. Points. Bragging rights. I have seen people admit more than once they are a points whore. So. The science is still getting done. That is the point right? I have often posted articles and announcements about WCG project break thrus and results. I am always amazed how few comments it draws and how few times the post is read. I would have thought they would get more interest seeing as how this forum and teams goal is get these results. Maybe getting pie is more interesting... These guys seem pretty nice.

Anyway I intend to keep crunching for cures. A child with cancer or AIDS my main motivator. Maybe my plan won't work. Maybe the markets will crash and the world governments will outlaw it. Whatever. I'll still find a way to contribute to WCG and maybe F@H or GPUGrid. I am just that evil.

Cheers!
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 03-13-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    jhindo
    World Community Grid Admin

We have found that a few of our members have unexpectedly had their team choice changed to the "Ripple Labs" team. After investigating this, we can confirm that there was no break-in to World Community Grid and users' devices were in no way compromised.

We have identified a computer that was trying combinations of user names and common passwords against our website in an attempt to find combinations that worked. This activity began on March 11, 2014 and successfully guessed the passwords of a few of our volunteers. It appears that users whose passwords were guessed had their account's team choice changed to the "Ripple Labs" team but were otherwise left unmodified. Within 36 hours of the attack, this computer was blocked. We have been monitoring our systems closely for similar attempts. We will notify all members who joined the Ripple Lab team since this began and ask them to confirm their intention to be on that team.

We take security very seriously and follow industry best practices to best protect our users. We will continue to use best practices to block such password-guessing attempts. We will also conduct a complete review of other aspects of account and password management and determine what, if any, additional changes should be made there.

We are sorry to see that this happened to a few of our members. To avoid this kind of problem in the future, we strongly advise all users to adopt the best practice of selecting passwords that are not trivial or common. Avoid using short passwords and those containing simple words, obvious number, letter or keyboard sequences. You can see examples of weak passwords that should be avoided here: http://boingboing.net/2013/12/07/worst-passwords.html. We also advise that you avoid using the same password across multiple sites.

kinda sucks putting in a team effort and overtaking groups with a chance (though slim) for a lead, only to get crushed by the $

I can't hate anyone for it, but it really takes the wind out of my sails.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Not being a competitive person I didn't really think about it like that. I can see how that would be disappointing.

I wouldn't say the drive is as much competition is it is problem solving. I tend to think of myself as a mad scientist toolmaker. I look at the list, I see we're in # place and I look at the one in the place ahead of ours. Then dissect how to get to where they are right now.

I seek to understand what makes the successful people good at what they do, and then I explore ways to expand beyond their capabilities. Whether it be folder redirects to combat read/writes shortening the life of a SSD on CEP2, or bare bones PXE diskless linux boots running completely in ram. I've had this thing where I wanted to build my own blade system. Not sure why, but the idea just makes me all tingley inside. Back when the GPU stuff was running, I had ideas that if I shared them here... people wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
    Overtaking inactive user stats like no other

Xtreme Cruncher
    If anything it was a bit of a wake up call for me .I have since changed all of my passwords for most everything. Never thought a person would have to worry about that when your only volunteering computer time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast