Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DirectX 12 to be announced at GDC (March 20)

I am Xtreme

Post DirectX 12 to be announced at GDC (March 20)

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

No information yet, but I guess we can expect new low-level features to reduce CPU overhead.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    YAY for competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    YAY for competition.
    With mantle on the horizon, they just might bring DX12 to windows 7!If not then i will be using mantle under 7
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Mentor
    Mantle concerns few games (Frostbite, Oxide) and only one graphic card brand.
    I'm happy to see M$ joigning the party and I hope OpenGL will bring lots of improvments too

I am Xtreme
    check the NV presentation regarding opengl improvments from the valve developer days, they already have means to minimizes cpu overhead and should be vendor independent since its going to be in the offical opengl specs.

For me it seems mantle was some sort of "quickshot" because you just can't make api changes/improvments in a few months. So everything in the works for dx/opengl regarding overhead reductiobn was already underway for some time and amd just stole the thunder of this with releasing there own api.

I'm pretty sure AMD even stated that if Mantle only served to give the existing players a kick in the nads and improve their game, then their job is done. I got the impression that they were just sick of the status quo and wanted to give the industry a good shake up.

But, even if that wasn't their intent, well, the rest of us still win regardless
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    check the NV presentation regarding opengl improvments from the valve developer days, they already have means to minimizes cpu overhead and should be vendor independent since its going to be in the offical opengl specs.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. Personally I'd say OpenGL will be the 'standard' within the next few years.

The Source Engine 2 is being made with OpenGL and Valve have been vocal about it. Unreal Engine 4 is being ported to OpenGL in order to facilitate the current diverse landscape of platforms. Unity3D already supports OpenGL on multiple platforms.

Any game engine/middleware developers that are serious about competing in the industry are going to make an effort to support as many platforms as possible. The next generation Source, Unreal, CryEngine( Which is already getting OSX, and Linux support), Unity, etc. will be in a fierce competition to attract game developers, both "AAA" and "indie". In order to succeed, all of these engine/middleware developers will need to provide tools that are not just powerful and flexible, but also highly portable.

It's not just about Windows anymore; mobile has become a huge market, OSX and Linux are both gaining in popularity as Windows goes through a polarizing identity crisis, the Xbox One isn't quite the dominating force that the Xbox 360 once was, and tons of little specialized embedded devices have started popping up all over the place. OpenGL is supported by them all (except Xbox, of course), while DirectX is supported only by Microsoft products.

The biggest mistake that Microsoft can make right now is to repeat what they did with DX10 on Vista. But, I'm willing to bet that they will do that with DX12 and Windows8/9, and it will end up doing irreparable damage to DirectX. Even if developers decide to continue to ship DirectX renderers along side their OpenGL one for the sake of targeting the Xbox One, it will likely become second fiddle.

There's also the massive Chinese market, and the valve Steamwork Development presentation shows that Windows XP is still dominant there as well. Which means using OpenGL will help capture that huge market.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. Personally I'd say OpenGL will be the 'standard' within the next few years.

The Source Engine 2 is being made with OpenGL and Valve have been vocal about it. Unreal Engine 4 is being ported to OpenGL in order to facilitate the current diverse landscape of platforms. Unity3D already supports OpenGL on multiple platforms.

Any game engine/middleware developers that are serious about competing in the industry are going to make an effort to support as many platforms as possible. The next generation Source, Unreal, CryEngine( Which is already getting OSX, and Linux support), Unity, etc. will be in a fierce competition to attract game developers, both "AAA" and "indie". In order to succeed, all of these engine/middleware developers will need to provide tools that are not just powerful and flexible, but also highly portable.

It's not just about Windows anymore; mobile has become a huge market, OSX and Linux are both gaining in popularity as Windows goes through a polarizing identity crisis, the Xbox One isn't quite the dominating force that the Xbox 360 once was, and tons of little specialized embedded devices have started popping up all over the place. OpenGL is supported by them all (except Xbox, of course), while DirectX is supported only by Microsoft products.

The biggest mistake that Microsoft can make right now is to repeat what they did with DX10 on Vista. But, I'm willing to bet that they will do that with DX12 and Windows8/9, and it will end up doing irreparable damage to DirectX. Even if developers decide to continue to ship DirectX renderers along side their OpenGL one for the sake of targeting the Xbox One, it will likely become second fiddle.

There's also the massive Chinese market, and the valve Steamwork Development presentation shows that Windows XP is still dominant there as well. Which means using OpenGL will help capture that huge market.
    Not to sound like a jerk, but I think I've heard that OpenGL will be the "standard" for the past 10 years.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk, but I think I've heard that OpenGL will be the "standard" for the past 10 years.
    Outside of just games, it is the standard. Especially for professional 3D work.

Now some core companies are moving towards it. Especially Epic and Crytek, never mind Valve.

Xtreme Member
    OGL already had its prime status during the heydays of the Quake franchise in the late 90s. Sadly, id software was pretty much the lone player firmly embracing the multi-platform API.

Xtreme Mentor
    Mantle is the last hope for linux... That's why MS reacts...

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Mantle is the last hope for linux... That's why MS reacts...
    He's not the last hope. There is another... his sister openGL. :p
    I was really hoping DX would die
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
    OGL already had its prime status during the heydays of the Quake franchise in the late 90s. Sadly, id software was pretty much the lone player firmly embracing the multi-platform API.
    erm, did you forget Valve and Epic? Tons of games back then could choose OpenGL, among other renderers..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    He's not the last hope. There is another... his sister openGL. :p
    I was really hoping DX would die
    IMO if OGL haven't beaten DX till now then it never will. I lost hope on it long time ago.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Mantle concerns few games (Frostbite, Oxide) and only one graphic card brand.
    I'm happy to see M$ joigning the party and I hope OpenGL will bring lots of improvments too
    Theyre not games ,but game engines which changes the picture dramatically, and their not alone , so its far from what you appear it to be.Granted It still has some way to go in order to really launch.But its here, DX 12 and new OGL variations are just announced, which means games utilizing their new functions can be very distant to fruition, not to mention ms is probably gonna try and push DX12 as win 8.x only in order to try and squeeze more people to buy win 8.
    Best for us would be DX`es demise ,with ogl as a standard linux and other oses pickup would be a lot faster.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Mentor
    AMD will most likely launch DX12 GPU in 2015 with Pirate Island.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    IMO if OGL haven't beaten DX till now then it never will. I lost hope on it long time ago.
    The gaming landscape has changed quite a bit since DX dominated the market. Microsoft doesn't have the same stranglehold on the computer market that they used to and feature parity has been had by openGL. It's really android and iOS games that are pushing openGL. The sales figures are huge for those games and you only have one API choice, openGL. Engines are increasingly cross platform to allow maximizing on development costs and as a result they must support openGL.
    Personally I'd really like to see AMD give mantle to the Khronos group and for them to make openGL 5 with it.
    If microsoft goes the vista route and says DX12 is win8+ only (maybe 8.1+ or 8.2+) then they'll shoot themselves in the foot by keeping half the market out of DX12
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

If microsoft goes the vista route and says DX12 is win8+ only (maybe 8.1+ or 8.2+) then they'll shoot themselves in the foot by keeping half the market out of DX12
    most likely; they will
    http://kotaku.com/5959885/newest-dir...dows-8-systems

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Mentor
    The gaming landscape has changed quite a bit since DX dominated the market. Microsoft doesn't have the same stranglehold on the computer market that they used to and feature parity has been had by openGL. It's really android and iOS games that are pushing openGL. The sales figures are huge for those games and you only have one API choice, openGL. Engines are increasingly cross platform to allow maximizing on development costs and as a result they must support openGL.
    Personally I'd really like to see AMD give mantle to the Khronos group and for them to make openGL 5 with it.
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    MS is started to learn it's lesson. They started to develop their c++ libraries cross platform and open source, they have started a project of a cross platform (wp,ios,android) game development environment.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    If Win9 is a successor of Win7 rather than Win8, this may not hurt it too much.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    If Win9 is a successor of Win7 rather than Win8, this may not hurt it too much.
    and if they launch it while we still have our bizspark membership then this will not hurt definitely.

Xtreme Addict
    Microsoft dictature will end anyway.

What about making win9 as nice to use as osx without all the drawback of apple and osx? That would certainly make a whole lot of us osx converts retiring back to windows as a main os. If they keep on forcing a tablet UI they will secure a constant falling in marketshare for sure. Win will mainly be used as a gaming os with users changing to osx or linux?s free os versions. My 0.02$

Xtreme Addict
    easy O.S. is not all.

NSA free OS will rule ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    easy o.s. Is not all.

Nsa free os will rule ...
    This! ++++++++++++++++
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Software patents are mostly fail wrapped in fail sprinkled with fail and sautéed in a light fail sauce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast