Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mt gox bitcoin exchange is bankrupt. 850,000 bitcoins lost.

Xtreme Member
    Ha ha... I knew it! Thanks for the concrete data...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    There haven't?

Early 4870s didn't have issues with qimonda GDDR5 degrading?
    The GSOD issue on 5870?
    Desktop corruption on Tahiti? I sent in an rma for this one before I found out that it was a common software issues.
    Black screen issues on r9 290x?

Yeah, neither amd or nvidia has a perfect track record. Stop being such a fanboy.
    I was talking specifically about mining, which is what was being discussed...
    4870 issue is new, have any links?
    Everything else you pointed out seems to be software issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Oh, you wanna talk RMA numberz LordEC911 ? Really ?

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/893-...raphiques.html

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/911-...raphiques.html

Dat are officials numbers from a famous french e-tailer, the same one which throw away Pitcairn from their rigs because of an enormous RMA rate.
    It's certainly not the huge bumpgate failure but it's quite a shame to see AMD cards far less reliable than nVidia's ones.
    Numbers like that only get you so far, ie doesn't tell the whole story.
    Especially when those same numbers in the past have been dug into and found out to not be entirely accurate.
    RMAs aren't necessarily due to failed hardware.

Edit- High Sapphire failures was related to one of the components they ordered being out of spec due to a manufacturer defect/oversight.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 03-05-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
    Was it the Qimonda GDDR5 degrading on the 48xx that caused the failures? I thought there was a problem with the reference VRM deisgn... I've got a non-reference 4890 with qimonda.

nVidia had bumpgate, but I never see their recent stuff on the market as defective. ATI/AMD OTOH, plenty of cards, not to mention their shoddy laptop chipsets (4200) which were just as shoddy as nVidia MCP and are failing en masse.
    I don't recall any failures due to vrms. The only thing that I do remember is ocp kicking in with OCCT. AMD's reference designs always seem well done.

IIRC it was just the first gen GDDR5

Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Everything else you pointed out seems to be software issues.

What does it matter? I've seen a lot of people on the forums sending cards in for an rma over those software issues. Thats the topic that you bought up, rmas.

I'm also not convinced that all of the black screen issues on early 290x are software related.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 03-05-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    High Sapphire failures was related to one of the components they ordered being out of spec due to a manufacturer defect/oversight.
    Sapphire was not the only one impacted :

It becomes obvious that this is a widespread problem that has been identified by AMD after roughly two months of production and corrected faster or slower depending on the manufacturer.
    http://www.hardware.fr/news/12705/ra...-solution.html

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Well, if users had arrays of 7990 (etc,) they can be sold off as gaming cards, or they could start mining on another server. They still have their hardware, the value of it did not suddenly go to 0.
    However they are literally useless for the past 10 months for bitcoin mining.
    Scrypt algo coins, yes but ASIC designs are coming soon Q3-ish
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    However they are literally useless for the past 10 months for bitcoin mining.
    Scrypt algo coins, yes but ASIC designs are coming soon Q3-ish
    You will see more Scrypt-jane and ScryptN coins then.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Cruncher
    Who do people actually keep a large amount of BTC in a wallet from a 3rd party ? Thats like running around with all your savings in your pockets instead of putting it in the bank .

When I buy BTC i immediately transfer it from Kraken/mtgox/blockchain to my offline Bitcoin-QT client for example . I only have like 0.11 BTC somewhere in an online wallet .
    Last edited by CrimInalA; 03-06-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Main rig 1: Corsair Carbide 400R 4x120mm Papst 4412GL - 1x120mm Noctua NF-12P -!- PC Power&Cooling Silencer MK III 750W Semi-Passive PSU -!- Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H -!- Intel i7 4790K -!- Swiftech H220 pull 2x Papst 4412 F/2GP -!- 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866Mhz CAS9 1.5V (D9PFJ) -!- 1Tb Samsung 840 EVO SSD -!- AMD RX 480 to come -!- Windows 10 pro x64 -!- Samsung S27A850D 27" + Samsung 2443BW 24" -!- Sennheiser HD590 -!- Logitech G19 -!- Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse -!- Fragpedal -!- Eaton Ellipse MAX 1500 UPS .

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A250HH20140306

CEO of a small bitcoin startup in singapore committed suicide. Too young, only 28.

I wonder if the same thing happened to them.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Japan gov. said they don't see bitcoin as a currency and they don't have plans for making it a financial asset.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post

CEO of a small bitcoin startup in singapore committed suicide. Too young, only 28.

You have to wonder the kinds of threats he was facing once he was hacked (I can only assume he lost the assets of very powerful people)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    You have to wonder the kinds of threats he was facing once he was hacked (I can only assume he lost the assets of very powerful people)
    Whoever took it, I hope it was some hacker who will waste it on luxury good and stuff. Still awful for someone to waste 500 million on stuff like that, but better them than some drug or terrorist or criminal organization. 500 million in the wrong hands can cause an awful lot of damage.
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member
    First you need to convert it into real, cold money. And if you convert a lot of that amount in a small time, it will leave trace at least in the company that converts it. I can't see any company not knowing how much they convert it and from to, even being an untraceable currency.

For me looks like impossible, something must be left behind.

Xtreme Guru
    Whoever took it, I hope it was some hacker who will waste it on luxury good and stuff. Still awful for someone to waste 500 million on stuff like that, but better them than some drug or terrorist or criminal organization. 500 million in the wrong hands can cause an awful lot of damage.
    Lol yeah I suppose rolexes and fake boobs can't cause international crises

Quote Originally Posted by Black Phoenix View Post
    First you need to convert it into real, cold money. And if you convert a lot of that amount in a small time, it will leave trace at least in the company that converts it. I can't see any company not knowing how much they convert it and from to, even being an untraceable currency.

For me looks like impossible, something must be left behind.
    Says who? People doing shady deals just trade bitcoins directly, meaning it holds a lot of value within the drug industry even without being converted to cash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict

Says who? People doing shady deals just trade bitcoins directly, meaning it holds a lot of value within the drug industry even without being converted to cash
    Yeah. The reason you just put, is exactly why its good for illicit activity, particularly large transactions.
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member

Yeah. The reason you just put, is exactly why its good for illicit activity, particularly large transactions.
    In the case of illicit transactions. In case it was an hacker just for luxury goods (that was what I wanted to comment) it can be traceable. Do exists lots of shops that accept so volatile currency that today values 800$ (example) and tomorrow 8$? The good still holds his value, the currency used to buy it may be not.

But it's only my opinion, since what I know about the cryptographic currency, and about BitCoin is only from the news in websites and others...

Xtreme Enthusiast

He could not have been hacked because it's all about her, beside at this point nobody is talking about hacking.

Very powerful people are not too smart if they keep the coins online. First advice i got when learning about mining was not to keep them online, that's what personal enscripted wallets are for plus there is not any confirmation it has anything to do with Bitcoin even the article tajoh based his speculation on did not say so.

Probably if it was directly related to bitcom the info would be already public, I goggled it and also could not find any connection, here from Financial Post article.
    Steve Beauregard, CEO and founder of Singapore-based GoCoin, rented a room in Radtke?s Singapore home and was among the last people to see Radtke alive.

This wasn?t a bitcoin-related death. She had other things going on in her life

?This wasn?t a bitcoin-related death. She had other things going on in her life. Collectively, there were a lot of small factors. ? It appears she picked a permanent solution to a lot of short term problems,? he told Reuters.
    If it's Bitcoin related the police investigation will sure find out, at this point it was not even confirmed by the police it was a suicide.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Addict
    And the Mt Gox troubles hit new heights:

On Sunday, hackers took over the Reddit account and personal blog of Mark Karpeles, Mt. Gox’s CEO, to post an angry screed alleging that the exchange he ran had actually kept at least some of the bitcoins that the company had said were stolen from users. “It’s time that MTGOX got the bitcoin communities wrath instead of [the] Bitcoin Community getting Goxed,” wrote the unidentified hackers, referring to the multiple occasions over its three year history when Mt. Gox has gone offline, delayed trades or suspended withdrawals, events so common that Bitcoin users coined the phrase to be “goxed”–to suffer from Mt. Gox’s technical glitches.

The hackers also posted a 716 megabyte file to Karpeles’ personal website that they said comprised stolen data from Mt. Gox’s servers. It appears to include an Excel spreadsheet of over a million trades, a file that purports to show the company’s balances in eighteen difference currencies, the backoffice application for some sort of administrative access to the databases of Mt. Gox’s parent company Tibanne Limited, a screenshot of the hackers’ access to those databases, a list of Mark Karpeles’ home addresses and Karpeles’ personal CV.
    and where it gets potentially very frightening for people who used Mt Gox...

In a possibly related incident, a user on the BitcoinTalk forum posted a message–since deleted by the forum’s moderators–claiming to be offering for sale a 20 gigabyte stolen database from Mt. Gox, including the personal details of all its users and even scans of their passports. “This document will never be elsewhere published by us,” wrote the user, who went by the name nanashi____. “Selling it one or two times to make up personal loses from gox closure.” The hacker asked for a price of 100 bitcoins for the database, about $63,600 at current exchange rates. ‘
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...ence-of-fraud/

Xtreme Member
    Funny how all the "right-wing" libertines are frantically putting up a faux calm front as their "currency" collapses...

Bitcoin was never a good idea, and anyone who understands neumismatics knows this. All it is is another feudalist pyramid scheme. You're better off joining Primerica or Amway, at least at the end of it all, you'll have a closet full of overpriced detergents and several insurance plans that really don't cover anything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really wanted and still want Bitcoin to succeed, but ultimately it was like trading digital bottle caps. Without backing of "the full faith and credit of (insert country)" which usually entails the backing of not only physical resources but that country's standing army, there is no chance of stability for any cryptocurrency.

Xtreme Member
    wangchung - you sir have hit the nail on the head.

Xtreme Mentor
    i always believed amazon's digital money will succeed.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12