Thread: Mobo for new build?

Xtreme Member

Mobo for new build?

Hello gang,

Wow! Is this place different. I haven't been here in a while. I'm looking to build a new system in the next month or two probably with i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011.
    I have spent some time over at Newegg reading reviews and they all suck in reality. Is it the people writing these reviews or are these boards that bad?

I looked at Asus, Gigabyte (even went to their site to see what they had and then checked else where), Evga and their seems to be many problematic boards DOA and/or with bios, usb, memory issues. I mean the reviews were 50/50. I just want a nice dependable board. I would prefer one with a usable PCI slot for a additional sound card. I'm not fond of "Creative" and that's what you will get if it's bundled. I seen some with the wi-fi and double lan I liked, but it seems like you're very lucky if you can get a board that just works; let alone with the additional features you like. Price isn't a deal breaker! I just want something that isn't plagued.

If there are some other boards you know of that I haven't mentioned, please enlighten me. It's always good to get others input for knowledge. There was a odd name board that a very small percentage of people would tackle and use because they were difficult and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I would know it if I seen it. They were good boards. Their flagship colors were the two tone green.

The case I will be using is a Corsair Obsidian 550D.

Thanks to everyone!

hi, I understand what your saying and yeah it does seem that everyone has a problem of some sort.......
    I used to only get gigabyte boards until i had a bit of misfortune with the last one (x79 ud7) I think, hmm the
    vrm area sort of burnt out lol, smoke ..... anyway old news, I have since then gone with asus R.O.G using
    a ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011, it did take me a while to get it working the well since i put the 4930k
    cpu in it with tweaking and latest bios, it is now working fine, with win 8.1 and uefi bios, it boots very quickly
    I have actually just purchased the new x79 asus black edition and have decided to do a complete new build
    perhaps over say 3 to 6 month project........ I hope my post has helped you some how, i think asus makes good boards
    and have seen allot of bios releases, which i think is good, shows that there still working on the boards, even 1 or 2 years
    later, great work Asus I use newegg for reviews too since we can't buy from there here in Australia, but these days
    I just look at the percentages and do allot of research, otherwise we wouldn't buy anything lol.....
    good luck

Xtreme Member
    Greetings Graphic!

Yes, you're right! These misfortunes do happen...sorry to hear that about your board. I think you made a good choice with the Black Edition. After reviewing literally every board at the Asus site; I said if I were to get one out of all their boards, it would be this one. I like this board, regardless if it has Creative...it has everything I am looking for except one thing and that's not a deal breaker. At least I would have sound either way. I have a Asus now, but it's lunched thanks to my husband. After I build mine, I'm building him one so he never touches mine again.

I thought I had read more than once you can update the bios with no OS installed. I always done it after everything was installed but if this is true, I think it's a much better idea to do it right off the bat when you get the board before all the drivers etc. are installed.

I agree with you on the reviews. If I were to go by these I would never buy anything. I'm going to buy two boards and test both out so I can have a back up when the first punches out. This is the second time I have ended up in a predicament where my processor is 2 to 3 years old and the selection of boards are even worse for older CPU's, so I said my as well update everything and be done with it...but with a back up board sitting in place so there is no down time and aggravation.