Thread: GIGABYTE Acrylic project by Spazloy

Xtreme Member

GIGABYTE Acrylic project by Spazloy

GIGABYTE Acrylic Project

Welcome to my new project

I recently won a competition on facebook with Gigabyte and then sent me one of their custom showcases (apparently theres only a few of these around, and none are for sale)

I have a liquid cooled rig now, but its not really up to scratch and the components only cool the CPU. So I am going to use this project to learn more about liquid cooling mods, learn more about PCs, and just have a good time.

Unfortunately I'm still a student and have only 2 months left before I have to enter the real world and find a job. So if the project doesn't progress for a while, don't be alarmed, I've just ran out of money and I'm waiting for my first paycheck. It may go a little faster as I will be trying to enlist a few sponsors to get the project moving.

Gigabyte will be following this build intently as this case is a bit of their pride and joy so I will be sending them snaps and a link to this page, I hope they realise that I'm about to drill lots of big holes in it

Before you look at the spec list, you need to know a bit about my degree. I am a game designer which means I use really memory heavy programs (thats why I have 16bg of ram) and I live in the UK and study 400 miles from home, so education is not cheap which means my computer was built on a budget. The parts will hopefully change over the course of the project as I would prefer to use a gigabyte motherboard and GPUs, and a more current PileDriver 9320, but it will take time to acquire these parts.

If anyone wants a look at what I do: http://lawrenceselly.wix.com/sellydesign

Specs:
    Brain: AMD FX 8120 CPU
    Heart: Corsair HX720
    Bones: Biostar 990fx AM3+
    Eyes: AMD Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB
    Skin: GIGABYTE Acrylic show case
    Lungs: Phobya G-Silent Slim Edition
    Nerves: MDPC-X Black... obviously
    Long Term Memory: WD Blue 750gb
    Short Term Memory: Corsair Ballistix 16gb

Plumbing:
    Tubing: EK HD Acyrlic 12/16mm
    Fittings: EK HD 12/16mm Black
    Pump: Lliang DDC w/ EK Acyrlic Top
    Reservoir: Alphacool Fusion 30cm Tube res or similar
    Radiators: Magicool Slim 360 or Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 x2
    Blocks: EK 7850 Nickel Acyrlic, EK Supreme Nickel Acyrlic
    Fluid: Mayhem Pastel Blue Berry

The case arrived in perfect condition, it was packed so well! never before assembled. In hindsight I should have left it in the wrappings so it would have been easier for marking out and cutting the panels but out of pure joy I went ahead and put it together.

The instructions were simple enough but because of the odd panel shapes I put it together the wrong way around a few times.

I have also inverted the motherboard tray and the back panel just to see what its like. It does look better but unfortunately it means the PSU will be on the top, looking ugly.

I have realised I have to be extremely careful and take this build slow. With the obvious transparent awesomeness of the case, it does mean that any mistakes will be visible to everyone and impossible to hide. But if I get everything right and get the details perfect it will mean that from any angle it will look good.

Right now all I have is the case and some components, and a few pieces of my previous watercooling projects lying around (mostly the odd fitting, a bit of bitspower that escaped the eBay sweep, here and there.)
    I will be sourcing parts and tools over the next few weeks, making sure I get the ball rolling in the right direction. I do have a lot of university work to do, but writing a games design document takes up a lot of brain power, and to relax I need a project! Playing games is just too much after you have spent the whole day designing one.

I do have a lot of equipment already and I have created a few things before that show my modding abilities, as well as being an amateur mechanic and welder so I should be able to finish this to a high standard.

Silverstone Fortress case, This is watercooled with a single massive Phobia 120mm radiator but only the CPU and it was not efficient enough to overclock it far.

Edge Audio triple monitor stand with amplifier and modded PSU.

I am going to be attending a multiplay iLan event at the end of the year, so I would really like the case ready for then, but I will be taking my case to University to show off my skill during our Expo in a few months.

For tonight, I hope I have sparked some interest. I'm going to start jotting ideas down and sketching over the next few days. I may also start masking out the case and marking up for when I get my drill bench.

Loz. Xx
    Last edited by Spazloy; 02-20-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Whats a good size for Images? Ill make a photoshop template with my build logo on and shrink any photos down.

Those are a big big :/
    Define R3 Hydr0 -- Bulldozer, MSI 990FXA, HD 6870, 16gb Crucial Ballistic, Define R3 Black Pearl - Completed -
    GIGABYTE Acrylic -- Piledriver, ASRock 990FX, HD 7850, 16gb Crucial Ballistic, GIGABYTE Acyrlic Show Casel - Under Construction -

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazloy View Post
    Whats a good size for Images? Ill make a photoshop template with my build logo on and shrink any photos down.

Those are a big big :/
    i think they are fine.

Xtreme Member
    Just a quick test, messed with the camera and threw it through photoshop.

Contacting everyone today to acknowledge the build and attempt to recruit a few new fans.

Xtreme Member

Sleeving Progress

After receiving a package from Nils at MDPC-X, along with the customary awesome drawings from the man himself I got 10 meters of B-Magic and 10 meters of Shade 19 along with Heat shrink and a white sample.

So I got sleeving straight away and managed to brush up my skills and got the start and reset button done.

Anyway I have to get some progress done to my report, this is an essential part of my degree and I keep getting distracted!
    Last edited by Spazloy; 03-07-2014 at 06:37 AM.
    Define R3 Hydr0 -- Bulldozer, MSI 990FXA, HD 6870, 16gb Crucial Ballistic, Define R3 Black Pearl - Completed -
    GIGABYTE Acrylic -- Piledriver, ASRock 990FX, HD 7850, 16gb Crucial Ballistic, GIGABYTE Acyrlic Show Casel - Under Construction -

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    looked at this before and didnt realize you had an ft03!

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I don't anymore XD those are photos I took last year.

It was lots of fun playing with that case, but money problems forced me to scale down to a Bitfenix shinobi with Orange detail.

Xtreme Member
    Just a quick update on progress.

I've sleeved everything I can on the case, but money shortages have started earlier than expected.

I was hoping to buy the PSU, some P-clips, and some screws so I could spend a few weeks sleeving and messing with wires. But unless a few things on my eBay sell (Search Spazloy on UK eBay) I wont be able to afford much for about 5 weeks. Then I get ?1900 to play with so modding will commence in earnest.

I may get a bit of money to work on the project in about a week or so, but we shall see what happens.