Thread: New rig - dead hdd

Xtreme Member

New rig - dead hdd

So a few days ago, my mobo wouldn't turn on but I unplugged and reseated everything and it all went fine from there.

Then last night, I left my computer running overnight to download the ESO beta since I received an invite. This morning I walk in to see my monitor telling me that I need to install a proper boot disk. Huh? So I went to my motherboard to check my system and my brand new 3 tb wd hdd is nowhere to be found. I turned off the rig and checked all the plugs, even unplugging and reseating it. Mobo now recognizes that the wd exists but its telling me that the size is 0gb and every time I try to boot, the hdd does nothing but click.

*sighs*

Going to RMA to newegg but only to get a refund. I'm going to best buy to buy a 2 tb.

I really think newegg screwed me this time. That 3 TB arrived in a newegg box and wrapped in bubble wrap. I'm thinking they sent me a refurb when I bought new. Not too pleased atm.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    you do realize when you buy most harddrives from newegg they are cheaper because they are
    "BARE DRIVE"? unless you buy a "retail" labeled drive they usually come bare to save money as really no one cares about the box and it just costs more money that can be saved.

Banned
    Newegg states on their website if a product is refurbished or open box. Otherwise it is presumed to be new. As noted bare drives usually have minimal packaging and are often just in an anti-static bag and some foam padding. Some drives do come in a box but many do not. Being wrapped in bubble wrap is not an accurate means to determine if the drive is "refurbished".

That being said... BAD Buy is the last place I'd do Biz with if I have a choice. They have been nailed by State Attorney Generals so many times for unscrupulous and often illegal Biz practices that I do not want to support any Biz that operates like that. If you doubt what I say, do a Google search for Best Buy and State AG actions against them.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, so I actually had a tech look at it. It clicks 3 times and shuts down so its not me. Newegg tells you if it's a refurb as a matter of course. I'd have never bought it if I thought it was a refurb.

I bought a new drive and its running fine. In fact, its quieter than the other one was.

Banned
    A drive can go bad for many reasons. As long as it's covered under warranty, just return it.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
    Yeah, so I actually had a tech look at it. It clicks 3 times and shuts down so its not me. Newegg tells you if it's a refurb as a matter of course. I'd have never bought it if I thought it was a refurb.

I bought a new drive and its running fine. In fact, its quieter than the other one was.
    again, im guessing its not refurb.

just bare drive.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    A drive can go bad for many reasons. As long as it's covered under warranty, just return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    Newegg states on their website if a product is refurbished or open box. Otherwise it is presumed to be new. As noted bare drives usually have minimal packaging and are often just in an anti-static bag and some foam padding. Some drives do come in a box but many do not. Being wrapped in bubble wrap is not an accurate means to determine if the drive is "refurbished".

That being said... BAD Buy is the last place I'd do Biz with if I have a choice. They have been nailed by State Attorney Generals so many times for unscrupulous and often illegal Biz practices that I do not want to support any Biz that operates like that. If you doubt what I say, do a Google search for Best Buy and State AG actions against them.
    yep

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
    Mobo now recognizes that the wd exists but its telling me that the size is 0gb and every time I try to boot, the hdd does nothing but click.
    I had once a HDD overheated to 70 degrees then being reported with size 0gb and I was able to recover it by running HDD Regenerator (it forced the remapping of first bad sectors). If your hdd is still spinning, you could try it as the guys that will check in warranty might do the same thing.

Xtreme Member
    sergiu, actually its not. I've done everything I can after many hours of research. The click basically means its dead dead deadski (as Beetlejuice would say). After you start getting a click, there's a very small chance that freezing it for several hours might give you a few minutes to save some of the files after you plug it in. The click means its dead and even that method won't make it turn again. I've arranged RMA with newegg so I'll be sending it back on Monday.
    Last edited by moiraesfate; 02-08-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It was once said that a human could store all their life's experiences on a 3TB drive!

So its such a large CHUNK of data that a would recommend anyone buying 2x3TB or greater drives and running them in RAID 1 just in case one of them goes bust!

Then I have a Synology DS214SE NAS(the cheapest one) that has 2 tray from drives (no RAID) and I use that to back up my data onto using MS SyncToy tool.

Belt and Braces approach to Data Protection.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Addict
    When you buy drives from newegg they do not come with retail packaging unless it's stated "retail box".
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump