Thread: New rig - motherboard won't power on

Xtreme Member

New rig - motherboard won't power on

When i opened the package, the processor cover (the one that comes with all new motherboards) wasn't seated but floating around the inside of the sealed package. But I thought I'd give it a try anyway and plugged in the ram, the processor, and the psu. And? Nothing happened except for a little flash around the area of the ethernet chord plug. This flash happens as soon as I plug in the power every time, but nothing else does. My psu is the one in my sig and it works just fine with my old motherboard.

I'm thinking RMA but can I get your thoughts as well? I'm going to call asrock (its a z87 extreme 6) after I get home from work later but I'm pretty sure it won't help.

Banned
    Are you sure the CPU and RAM are all properly seated in their sockets? Have you checked to make sure all power connectors are fully connected? Does the board make any beeping sounds or have an LED readout for errors?

It would be very unusual for a new mobo to not function unless there is obvious shipping damage.

Xtreme Member
    I'm going to check on my CPU and RAM again when I get home just to be sure, but they looked fine last night (I'll remove them and put them back in).

I checked the connectors several times last night. I'm going to check it again as soon as I get home.

It makes no noise whatsoever. There should be an LED near the bottom with numbers that lights up but it doesn't. There's even power and reset buttons directly on the board itself but they don't seem to do anything. Never in my life have I had a DOA part arrive. Usually they make some sort of noise or light up somehow. Usually its not till I boot that there's a problem, if there's a problem.

Thanks by the way. You are the first person to respond to the question after quite a few views. It's appreciated.

Banned
    Glad to help. It only takes one cable unplugged or unseated to cause a problem. Hopefully it's something simple to fix.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I got it to work. I eventually just completed removed and reinstalled everything. Now to finish the arduous process. Everything seems fine, though I seem to be having an issue with getting the usb ports on the front of the case to work but I figure I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Banned
    Maybe you had some electrical short of the mobo to the PC case or something? Glad it's working. The front USB ports may be a different header or setting?

Xtreme Member
    I think I must have missed plugging it in or something. I figure it isn't a big enough deal to worry about and I'll look at it on the weekend when there's more light. As for the motherboard, I have absolutely no idea but I'm fine as long as it keep working a while.

I'm just glad that it doesn't seem I wasted alot of money or will have to wait for a replacement.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    glad to see it fixed!

i could see a loose cable somewhere doing this, ive had it with one of my older psu couldnt figure out what was wrong then unplugged and replugged and worked

Banned
    It's extremely rare to have a new name brand mobo or CPU that are truly new defective, even though many people return them assuming they are bad when they have PC issues. All of these components are extensively tested prior to boxing and shipment so unless there is visible physical damage to the hardware, the issue is almost always something else. With new PC builds it's very easy to overlook a power connector or have a poor socket or cable connection to test your patience...

At least you can work with it now to get everything sorted as needed. Good luck.