Thread: Starting a progam from IR Remote

Xtreme Mentor

Starting a progam from IR Remote

Hi Folks,

My objective is to launch JRiver Media Center without having to use a mouse or the touchpad on my wireless keyboard (Logitech K400).
    Should be easy enough right? Well... I've been struggling with it for a week now and finally decided to break down and ask the pros!

Obviously this is to make the use of my HTPC more seamless.
    Here's the pertinent gear:
    Pinnacle MC IR remote (only using the USB receiver)
    Harmony One programmable remote to send the signals
    Logitech K400 Keyboard w/touchpad

I've even broken down and tried to use Logitech's SetPoint software to program a hotkey to launch a program, but that doesn't even work with this keyboard...

It really shouldn't be this difficult!

Anyone have any suggestions?
    I still can't help but think I'm missing something simple...

Thanks,
    Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Member
    I have set up a htpc for my parents who are technology illiterate so it was vital for me to set something up for them that was simple easy and monkey friendly.
    So i used windows 8 as the operating system for its metro ui start system and customizable layout which would display key programs like internet explorer and xbmc without over complicating them with too many options.
    For the control equipment i used a logitech harmony smart remote (not touch) and a k400r wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad for more advanced programs such as web browsing.
    With this i was able to configure the controller to map specific commands for each source between digital tv, music system, and home theatre system. All with it changing corresponding settings on all equipments, like receiver source, av channel, tv power etc.
    With htpc button pressed it will turn tv on then change source to the hdmi, which the pc is connected to and even boot the pc from sleep as well. From here my parents can hit the menu button which brings up the start menu, where they can use the navigational keys to direct what program they want to execute with the middle/ok button. Pretty simple.
    I have things like internet explorer on there where they can browse the web using the keyboard and xbmc with over a 1000 movies which is all mapped with the remote for extended simplicity.
    The reason i said all this is because i was after the most stable system without any problems or complications, as my parents would be constantly harassing me to help them. Also you did ask to try make the htpc experience more seamless which i believe this comes pretty close to with my parents being the perfect test bench.
    Before this i was using windows 7 and was mapping buttons on the remote for hotkeys to launch specific programs and this worked just fine but was not simple enough for my parents as they could never remember what buttons were for which program. So back to the drawing board i went and started the windows 8 metro system idea.
    This way they had eyes on view on what they were selecting using control layout similar to what most remotes have today, making it hard for them to forget.

I would suggest getting the remote and other requirements i noted above if you want the utmost seamless experience however if you want to continue with what you have then hotkey mapping with shorcuts is by far the next easiest way for doing it. This should work most of the time but there are still hiccups that happen time to time where it just doesnt work but a reboot usually always fixes (just messy). Otherwise your left with scripting or more advanced types of custom string command programming which is again more messy unless you are already a good software programmer.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by [DANGERDAN]; 02-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Administrator
    Can you make it auto start on boot with MSCONFIG ?

Xtreme Mentor
    [DANGERDAN]: Thanks for the tips! I already have that same keyboard and a Harmony One remote. I also have a copy of Win8, I could never get used to it though, and reverted to Win7... If I get frustrated enough I may image the W7 settup and give W8 a try using the new UI method.
    I was a decent (Amiga basic) programmer back in the day, but that was a long time ago and I'm not sure how that syntax would relate to MS and modern languages.

I was really hoping someone would say there was a cool little ap that opened a selection menu when you pressed the "Green Button" on the remote instead of always opening WMC... I'm kind of surprised there isn't something out there like that already. I'm sure it would be useful for a lot of HTPC users.
    I may even try to brush up on my skills and write something that does that!

Buckeye: I thought about that too...
    The biggest problem is the machine is waking from sleep mode 99.9% of the time so the config file won't run in that case.

Oh well, I'll come across an easier way eventually. If not, I'll just continue using the touchpad on the K400 keyboard to select JRiver MC...

If anyone knows of an ap for the Green Button that allows you to select from multiple programs I'm all ears though!

Thanks again guys!
    Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Addict
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 02-13-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    As it stands windows only responds to infrared commands set by microsoft, this however has always been enough for media use.
    Through mce or mc6 programs or registry modification you can remap any windows command to shortcut keys. With this and the help of harmony profiles (if your harmony one supports media centre pc profiles) you can set any button on your remote to launch any program including the green windows media centre button.
    Last edited by [DANGERDAN]; 02-14-2014 at 12:35 AM.