Thread: The dilemma - Richland or Kaveri for my Mini-ITX???

Xtreme 3D Team

The dilemma - Richland or Kaveri for my Mini-ITX???

Want to get your guys' opinions.

This build is in need of an upgrade...
    A6-5400K, just not cutting it...

A10-6700 drop in for $140, or should I spend $280 on a new FM2+ / A10-7850K?
    I would like this machine to play games, somewhat...though I'm limited by the amount of heat dissipation possible and 120w PSU.

If I bought the A10-7850K I would have to undervolt the CPU and GPU as much as possible.
    Smile

I'm cheap. I'd just get Richland. I don't think Kaveri is enough of a boost to warrant 2x the cost. Especially if you have to start undervolting/underclocking to keep the power down.

What games you trying to run? My Richland A10 in my laptop seems to do pretty darn well for what it is. *edit* Oops, it is a Trinity, not Richland. Still does pretty good regardless.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Kaveri is great and will get better when the drivers and software are ready for it. It may take a lot of time or may never happen. I guess it aint worth the 280$ you would need to spend. A10 6700 is a very fine chip and drop in. It would be wiser to choose the richland chip in your situation. BUT what about a8-7600 when you have the choice of buying it? It offers VERY nice perf / $/€/W in my opinion. You said it. It's a dilemma

Xtreme Mentor
    You don't have to undervolt A10-7850 because you can just set in up in BIOS to be 65W or 45W CPU and it's sorted Obviously if you want to get most out of your rig's performance then manual settings can't be beaten
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Micro Center, in store only

AMD Kaveri Black Edition 4GHz
    SKU: 045005 $129.99

10+ In Stock Available for In-Store Pickup Only.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...k_Edition_4GHz

Xtreme Member
    well, a 6700 is going to double your count for both cpu/gpu compared to your a6, while raising base/turbo and gpu clocks. However, Kaveri did make large improvements perf/watt at the 45/65w settings, more so than 95w vs 100w richlands. Kaveri also has the configurable TDP (though supposedly not all models support it, however the Asus/7850k combo phoronix has does Phoronix TDP testing 7850K so ???). So i guess it depends on just how much of an improvement you are looking for, and if you'd have another use for or selling the a6/fm2 setup.
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I'm cheap. I'd just get Richland. I don't think Kaveri is enough of a boost to warrant 2x the cost. Especially if you have to start undervolting/underclocking to keep the power down.

What games you trying to run? My Richland A10 in my laptop seems to do pretty darn well for what it is. *edit* Oops, it is a Trinity, not Richland. Still does pretty good regardless.
    Interesting.
    As far as games, I'm not quite sure yet...I'm not what you'd call a gamer, though I do play CS:S, CS:GO, Blacklight: Retribution from time to time, and will be adding to my game library as I get the time. Obviously either of the CPUs would play those fine for the most part, but throw in, say, Battlefield 4 and things turn out a bit differently...

Quote Originally Posted by donitsi View Post
    Kaveri is great and will get better when the drivers and software are ready for it. It may take a lot of time or may never happen. I guess it aint worth the 280$ you would need to spend. A10 6700 is a very fine chip and drop in. It would be wiser to choose the richland chip in your situation. BUT what about a8-7600 when you have the choice of buying it? It offers VERY nice perf / $/?/W in my opinion. You said it. It's a dilemma
    I'm looking for max performance for this little package...
    I think overall an A10-7850K will bring max performance for least wattage vs an A8-7600 which will lack GPU power compared to the 7850K and is another reason why I don't want to buy a 7700K.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    You don't have to undervolt A10-7850 because you can just set in up in BIOS to be 65W or 45W CPU and it's sorted Obviously if you want to get most out of your rig's performance then manual settings can't be beaten
    Interesting! Set and forget is nice but I'm looking for max performance with limited power and heat dissipation... I'll probably do it the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldtimer View Post
    Micro Center, in store only

AMD Kaveri Black Edition 4GHz
    SKU: 045005 $129.99

10+ In Stock Available for In-Store Pickup Only.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...k_Edition_4GHz
    I was at Microcenter with some friends last night, but didn't look at these. That's an amazing deal...
    I very well might pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    well, a 6700 is going to double your count for both cpu/gpu compared to your a6, while raising base/turbo and gpu clocks. However, Kaveri did make large improvements perf/watt at the 45/65w settings, more so than 95w vs 100w richlands. Kaveri also has the configurable TDP (though supposedly not all models support it, however the Asus/7850k combo phoronix has does Phoronix TDP testing 7850K so ???). So i guess it depends on just how much of an improvement you are looking for, and if you'd have another use for or selling the a6/fm2 setup.
    I would like double the CPU power (a 6700 is more than that) and as much GPU I can fit, as possible. Other than trashing this whole machine and buying a Gigabyte BRIX, my best option is to go with the 7850K...but the amount of money needed to do so is a bit excessive.
    Smile