Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin start-up founder charged with money laundering !

Hybrid View

Xtreme XIP

Bitcoin start-up founder charged with money laundering !

Less than a year after raising $1.5 million for his Bitcoin exchange start-up BitInstant, CEO Charlie Shrem has been charged with money laundering. A news release from U.S. prosecutors in Manhattan said that Shrem knowingly facilitated illegal purchases on the now-shuttered underground drug marketplace Silk Road.
    Full Story and Source - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-laundering/#

Does this mean the beginning to the end for crypto currency ?

Xtreme Addict
    pfft the market only fluctuated a couple of bucks.... so NO
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

The info I read on the guy makes him sound like a fine upstanding member of society....

Putting business people like this away is good for everyone, even crypto supporters.

Xtreme Addict
    End of Crypto rofl, u wot m8?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Money laundering is money laundering. Whether you do it with profits from crypto currency, drug sales, investments, etc.

Maybe I'll meet this guy someday when I bring him breakfast through the food slot at work
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chispy View Post
    Less than a year after raising $1.5 million for his Bitcoin exchange start-up BitInstant, CEO Charlie Shrem has been charged with money laundering. A news release from U.S. prosecutors in Manhattan said that Shrem knowingly facilitated illegal purchases on the now-shuttered underground drug marketplace Silk Road.
    Full Story and Source - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-laundering/#

Does this mean the beginning to the end for crypto currency ?
    How can you end what never took off

Crypto is dumber than the tulip fiasco. It's just gullible idiots trying to get rich, but the only money is from other gullible idiots. There isn't any real value, the only point of it is to scam other morons into buying it from you.

The exact things that make this sort of idiotic investment interesting as a way to fleece idiots are what what make it pretty much worthless as a currency, volatility and no government/nation backing it up economically or militarily.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    How can you end what never took off

Crypto is dumber than the tulip fiasco. It's just gullible idiots trying to get rich, but the only money is from other gullible idiots. There isn't any real value, the only point of it is to scam other morons into buying it from you.

The exact things that make this sort of idiotic investment interesting as a way to fleece idiots are what what make it pretty much worthless as a currency, volatility and no government/nation backing it up economically or militarily.
    to be fair...the real money is just paper with imaginary value set by other people

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    to be fair...the real money is just paper with imaginary value set by other people
    Exactly !!!
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    Real money has value because it's backed by sovereign nations. Thus it's stable and not really speculative, which makes it very good for what we use it for.

Bull cryptocurrency that has no backing is only good for stealing money from other idiots you manage to con into investing in it. As a sham way to extract money from morons it's fine, but it's not good for anything else.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    This is what "big brother" does to anyone who who bucks the corrupt Federal Reserve. The FED has spent the last 5 years printing money to the tune of $80,000,000,000/month and feeding it into the stock market and wall street. It's the only reason why the stock market has performed like we've seen. Unfortunately, History has shown that you cannot print this kind of money which essentially devalues the dollar and ALWAYS results in inflation. I'm starting to think this is all intentional to sucker people into this soon to pop bubble and wipe out much of America's personal wealth

Think it's far fetched?

It's all part of a 50 year old plan to destroy this nation, much of which can be found in a rare book called "rules for radicals" by Saul Alinskey. s

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    This is what "big brother" does to anyone who who bucks the corrupt Federal Reserve. The FED has spent the last 5 years printing money to the tune of $80,000,000,000/month and feeding it into the stock market and wall street. It's the only reason why the stock market has performed like we've seen. Unfortunately, History has shown that you cannot print this kind of money which essentially devalues the dollar and ALWAYS results in inflation. I'm starting to think this is all intentional to sucker people into this soon to pop bubble and wipe out much of America's personal wealth

Think it's far fetched?

It's all part of a 50 year old plan to destroy this nation, much of which can be found in a rare book called "rules for radicals" by Saul Alinskey. s
    This is conspiratorial drivel that belongs to tin foil hat libertarians, you know Alex Jones and Rand Paul types.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    This is conspiratorial drivel that belongs to tin foil hat libertarians, you know Alex Jones and Rand Paul types.
    yeah, a bit like those folk that said that the USA is spying on 'everyone & everything' blahblahblah, pre Edward Snowden days /sarcasm ... & then *BOOM* bombshell
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

I've laundered money before. My wallet came out of the washer nice and clean, along with the $20 bill I had in there
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme XIP
    This is getting serious , charges are real , me thinks the sh*t is about to hit the fan , Feds are going to shut down this illegal cryptocurrency stuff. Read here: http://buttcoin.org/bitinstant-crimi...int-highlights and here United States vs. Charles Shrem and Robert M. Faiella : http://www.scribd.com/doc/202555785/...bert-M-Faiella

Xtreme Member
    This is getting serious , charges are real , me thinks the sh*t is about to hit the fan , Feds are going to shut down this illegal cryptocurrency stuff. Read here: http://buttcoin.org/bitinstant-crimi...int-highlights and here United States vs. Charles Shrem and Robert M. Faiella : http://www.scribd.com/doc/202555785/...bert-M-Faiella
    Um....no.
    2600k @ 4.6 GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 cooler
    P8Z68-V PRO
    16 GB RAM
    Corsair TX-850
    Two Gigabyte 670 GTX Windforce's in SLI at +60 core/+400 memory (3DMark11 15000P)
    Antec P182
    Crucial M4 SSD
    Win7 x64
    Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G7 Mouse
    ErgoHuman Chair

Xtreme Addict
    I dare say you're obviously taking out of your ass, no such thing will happen.

Cryptocurrency is not illegal. It's on the person who use it.

Same with money. It's neutral, not good or bad.
    It's the person who holds it that makes it good or bad.

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.4Ghz (Zalman CNPS9700 LED)
    Corsair Twin2X4096-6400C4DHX @ DDR2-1066
    RIP GeForce 9800 GX2 715/1720/1050
    2 x 500GB WD Caviar SE (RAID 0)
    Corsair HX-620W
    ACER P243WAID 1920 x 1200

Xtreme Addict
    This is getting serious , charges are real , me thinks the sh*t is about to hit the fan , Feds are going to shut down this illegal cryptocurrency stuff.]
    Back before money was invented people used all kinds of objects to trade with each other.
    In other words: trading with things not regulated by a government predates the invention of both money and governments.

Xtreme Guru
    let's bring dowries back! just sayin..
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Addict
    Edward Snowden was just a figurehead, if you have done your homework...

I wont reference the forums where such information can be found, i leave that up to your own discretion

-150c Club Member

Think it's far fetched?

New medication and tin foil hats for everyone!
    Do you actually believe this? People get ahead thru work and being just a bit better at pulling money out of others than the next guy. There is very little in terms of "concerted group conspiracy"

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Don't drop your soap, Chuck

Xtreme Addict
    The idea of a country "shutting down crypto" is as far fetched as someone shutting down the internet.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    The idea of a country "shutting down crypto" is as far fetched as someone shutting down the internet.

-PB
    China did it.

Here, read this:
    http://www.coindesk.com/charlie-shre...w-enforcement/

What he did was illegal. It wasn't the cryptocurrency that made it illegal.
    I've used my crypto to purchase goods and services from Overstock.com, several stores through Gyft.com, etc. , probably soon, TigerDirect.
    I've paid for computer hardware (HD 7990) with bitcoins, from a PURE team member / XS user
    It is a very convenient, secure, quick and easy way to make and accept payments...I send you 0.8 BTC for GPU, you get it in 1 minute...you can then go spend it anywhere that takes bitcoin as payment, and the list is growing...otherwise, go to exchange, get fiat if you want, but know that the IRS is watching!

No, I don't think this is the end of cryptocurrency. Will the government ask people to pay taxes on profits they may make? Yes. Will there be further regulation? Yes...in time...
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 02-02-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    China did it.
    No they did not, all they did is enforce banks not to transact it or bank it.

There is a much bigger picture at stake, but that's a different story.

let me put this straight, NO ONE can block Cryptocurrency, if if countries can, SHOW ME HOW (not just your concept but an actual proven way to do it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast