Thread: [HINFO] LG will launch 55, 65 and 77 inch Ultra HD OLED TVs later this year

Xtreme Member

[HINFO] LG will launch 55, 65 and 77 inch Ultra HD OLED TVs later this year

LG has shown various new televisions at CES in San Francisco. Three of the additions are OLED production models with a 4K Ultra HD resolution. These displays come in sizes of 55, 65 and 77-inch and have an RGBW pixel matrix. LG has also showcased a new 55-inch Full HD model and a prototype UHD OLED television with a flexible screen; users can decide whether to use it flat or curved.

LG will launch the 55EC9800, 65EC9800 en 77EC9800 4K Ultra HD OLED televisions later this year. The new TVs use WebOS and will support 4K streaming of video content through Netflix. It's expected that the monitors will first be available in Korea, either in the third or fourth quarter of this year. Available in the rest of the world hasn't been disclosed yet. The 77-inch top model is estimated to cost around $30.000.
    SOURCE

That is all the info they had, but sounds promising. Could make one hell of a PC monitor. No?
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

c[_]
    If it performs well like OLED is supposed to, yeah..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Will be nice, but "BLOODY EXPENSIVE" still, I'd love one.

Xtreme Mentor
    why do they curve the screens?

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

I am Xtreme
    RGBW pixel matrix = awesome!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Don't see the point of making a curved screen and then charge premium price for it, what the hell.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post

That is all the info they had, but sounds promising. Could make one hell of a PC monitor. No?
    Plenty of info about OLED around the net, good source is the AVS forum. OLED has the best IQ better than Plasma and LCD, but the production cost for now is very high to become mainstream.

The current models have documented burn in issue with static images retention, which makes it not suitable as PC monitor at present time.

At present only LG and Samsung are producing the OLED TV (two different technologies) and Samsung did not have any new model at CES 2014.

Panasonic and Sony got into partnership to produce OLED TV but ended it last year to concentrate on 4K UHD which will become mainstream in a year or two, much sooner than OLED if it ever makes it.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtremeish
    Why do people keep saying that OLED have "burn in", and better yet, why is it a big issue?

OLED do not "burn in", they "burn out", more specifically, blue will fade over time as this is currently the least resilient colour.

That does not mean it's not possible to calibrate for, given even wear on blue, one would just have to adjust blue accordingly, it would be incredibly simple to counter.
    Given uneven wear, it gets a bit worse since every blue sub pixel would have to be adjusted independently, which would require some kind of specialized camera.

OLED is not perfect, but I would take it over an LCD any time of the week even with the short comings it currently has.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 01-24-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Mentor
    I've seen curved LG 55' OLED UHD TV in action and it is something else even compared to my good old Sammy UE55ES8000 LED TV.
    Simply you have no visible backlight spills (for obvious OLED reasons) and color looks stunning.

The only thing I would like from that TV was it being flat. I would like curved PC monitor but not curved living room TV as the best viewing experience in only while seating in the middle of it.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    No...not unless they are at least 60Hz at full resolution...
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtremeish
    Well it could, and unlike LCD there aren't any major obstacles for very high refresh rates, so 60Hz is nothing but a cake walk for OLED. But hey, manufactures are capable of weird design choices!
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Well it could, and unlike LCD there aren't any major obstacles for very high refresh rates, so 60Hz is nothing but a cake walk for OLED. But hey, manufactures are capable of weird design choices!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't OLED just an LCD panel with a considerably better backlight? How does that necessarily take care of the refresh rate if the LED TVs can't hit 60 hz?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't OLED just an LCD panel with a considerably better backlight? How does that necessarily take care of the refresh rate if the LED TVs can't hit 60 hz?
    No. LED TVs do not use LED display technology. They're a normal LCD panel with the CCFL tubes replaced with strips of white (or RGB) LEDs. Some more advanced ones use a grid of LEDs in the back to allow for localized dimming to improve contrast.

OLED on the other hand uses a grid of RGB(W) OLEDs directly as the display cutting out the LCD middle man. There are questions about longevity, but you get near infinite contrast and beautiful colors. You basically get the contrast, color rendering accuracy, and response time of a CRT with LCD sharpness. OLED will hopefully be what SED TV's were supposed to be before they got killed in a huge mound of patent nonsense.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Member
    I also don't get the curved screen style which I think will be coming on strong for a few different platforms over the next year.

Xtreme Member
    I'm quite interested in viewing the curved screens. Will leave my judgement after seeing them in action. Also am very interested in OLED on the whole. Have read some great stuff over the years, it just never seem to eventuate. Hopefully this is it chance to shine, especially with the demise of Plasma.