Thread: Retro OC - DDR1 @424 Mhz (suicide)

Retro OC - DDR1 @431 Mhz (suicide)

Hey XS. Long time no post. I've been watching forums for quite some time, but last five years were my vacation from overclocking, I took it after I got tired after three years of running everything stock cooled :P Anyway, a couple of months ago I started gathering some retro stuff from Socket A/939 era and it's time to bench it.

I have 9 sticks of TCCD RAM and I wanted to see what they're made of in terms of suicide clock. I used an average 3000+ and DFI NF4 SLI-D - CPU set on 300x6, mem divider 250 (mem running @360), RAM voltage 2.9, timings 15-6-6-3-2T with loose alphas. Boot to Windows, then work your way up with Clockgen. Results - 1x400, 1x390, 2x385, 1x375, 1x360, rest no post/no boot.

I took the best stick (512MB G.Skill GBLE with TCCD 440) and pump it with 3.3V. Result:

The stick is cooled with 2x120mm fans and I did not take advantage of winter (yet!). Definitely might be improved and I'll do my best - it's currently 7th DDR clock result on Hwbot.
    Last edited by phobosq; 03-01-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Edited title due to updated result
    ======================
    all those lies suit you, they are custom made to drive you out of reality...
    ======================
    signature fail

Administrator
    Moved per OP's request

Xtreme Addict
    Not bad

Try the 200 multi if your CPU can do 400+ HTT on air, usually it gives higher suicide clocks than 250.

Sam, thanks for the hint. Unfortunately CPU does not like 200 multi over 380 HTT. Anyway I have an update:

Still no winter applied and it's #3 DDR in the world. It required minor tweaking of tref, mal and rp. Voltage 3.2.
    Last edited by phobosq; 01-23-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    ======================
    ======================
    signature fail

Well done, phobosq!

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Thanks a lot, I still got to work towards #1.
    ======================
    ======================
    signature fail

I've been holding it for too long - I also have 431 in my pocket (valid, hwbot). Still 10 MHz short of Christian Ney's result, though
    ======================
    ======================
    signature fail

Why keep a backup for third place?

Good score nonetheless!

Thought I was able to push it beyond 440, but I stopped halfway from 424 to 440 not much more to be done on air.
    ======================
    ======================
    signature fail

Great result. Is socket 939 the best platform to overclock DDR1? Any idea of socket Intel 478?

Push forward .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Socket 939 (the NF4 chipset specifically) is for sure far better than Socket 478 when it comes to DDR1.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by phobosq View Post
    Thought I was able to push it beyond 440, but I stopped halfway from 424 to 440 not much more to be done on air.
    Will you try again under cold? A cold winter night might be enough, TCCD don't need low temperatures anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by samsarulz View Post
    Great result. Is socket 939 the best platform to overclock DDR1? Any idea of socket Intel 478?
    S939 is much better than S478!

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    Will you try again under cold? A cold winter night might be enough, TCCD don't need low temperatures anyway.
    If only there was a winter in this part of Europe... I missed the "great" cold in January. I definitely plan to try again with cold.
    ======================
    ======================
    signature fail

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks for sharing phobosq ! It's always great to see old school overclocking!!!

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Quote Originally Posted by phobosq View Post
    If only there was a winter in this part of Europe... I missed the "great" cold in January. I definitely plan to try again with cold.
    I know, we've had 0? - 5?C in Munich for months, but not much colder. Good luck for your next runs!