MMM
    X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102

Thread: AMD Kaveri official reviews

  1. #1
    I am Xtreme FlanK3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Czech republic
    Posts
    6,796
    Last edited by FlanK3r; 01-14-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

  2. #2
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    679
    Did anyone do richland vs kaveri cpu tests with same settings (in ex. 4ghz vs 4ghz no turbo) ?
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

  3. #3
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    596
    The second review has some both at 3,7GHz:
    http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/galeri..._kaveri_09.png
    AMD Opteron 148 CABYE 0543 FPBW || DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR AD0
    2x 512MB OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition Winbond BH-5 || 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200LL V1.1 Winbond BH-5 || 1x 256MB Mushkin PC3500 LV2 Winbond BH-5
    SAPPHIRE X800GTO2 @ 16P 600/570, Voltmodded, GPU=1,7V/VDD/VDDQ=2,3V
    Zippy PSL-6720P(G1) GAMING ,POWER - I love it!

  4. #4
    I am Xtreme FlanK3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Czech republic
    Posts
    6,796
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

  5. #5
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    679
    ~10% gain is pretty nice.They could cram even more cores using 28nm or just build FXes with higher margins.Idiotic AMD decision to let go mid end.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

  6. #6
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    251
    After looking at anandtech review I can say that Kaveri is just another big joke like previous AMD processors. AMD slides always make things look several times better than real unbiased reviews.

    iGPU improvement is very small compared to A10 6800K, and CPU improvement is also small at least at stock speeds

    Small improvement is better than noting. However, there is noting revolutionary about Kaveri.

  7. #7
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    France - Bx
    Posts
    2,595
    Right, nothing impressive here

  8. #8
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    596
    Here is another good review, a lot of tests!

    Review: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5156...w-amds-new-apu
    Clock for clock: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5156...-vs-piledriver

    Edit:
    They aren't allowed to overclock or what? Where are those results?
    Last edited by Vassili; 01-14-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    AMD Opteron 148 CABYE 0543 FPBW || DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR AD0
    2x 512MB OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition Winbond BH-5 || 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200LL V1.1 Winbond BH-5 || 1x 256MB Mushkin PC3500 LV2 Winbond BH-5
    SAPPHIRE X800GTO2 @ 16P 600/570, Voltmodded, GPU=1,7V/VDD/VDDQ=2,3V
    Zippy PSL-6720P(G1) GAMING ,POWER - I love it!

  9. #9
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    1,555
    Kavery would shine a lot more if frequency was much higher and also the platform was newer and better, ie. more PCIe 3.0 lanes, USB 3.0 ports, quad channel RAM etc.. With this you are only getting a minor speed bump on the same platform, which makes upgrading difficult to justify.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

  10. #10
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    266
    AMD is focusing on the same as everyone else at the moment - lower power. For 45W the results are good. 100W chips @ $150 is great for HTPC/Casual gaming but nothing revolutionary. Steamroller was made out to be bigger than it is. And Intel will be selling 14nm in a few months - compared to 28nm for AMD, seriously what better to expect ?
    Va fail, dh'oine.

    "I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

    Always rooting for the underdog ...

  11. #11
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    AMD is focusing on the same as everyone else at the moment - lower power. For 45W the results are good. 100W chips @ $150 is great for HTPC/Casual gaming but nothing revolutionary. Steamroller was made out to be bigger than it is. And Intel will be selling 14nm in a few months - compared to 28nm for AMD, seriously what better to expect ?
    I agree but there is also the fact that AMD has been most disappointing on the platform side of things. Where are the new chipsets with newest generation features that would make this platform much more attractive against Intel?
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

  12. #12
    Xtreme Enthusiast Kai Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    831
    Wait up a sec...all the info up to this point has been that IPC is ~20% or so higher than Richland, we've known the clock frequencies are lower to fit into a lower TDP...and yet you're all still complaining because it's not comprehensively danced over the corpse of an i5?

    Pick up an AMD APU + board vs an Intel CPU w/iGFX + board - AMD's solution is cheaper, and for 99% of real world usage, its more than fast enough AND it's actually capable of playing recent gaming titles - so i say again - why are you whining?

    Main Rig

    Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)


    Entertainment Setup

    Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

    I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

  13. #13
    Xtreme Enthusiast Kai Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    I agree but there is also the fact that AMD has been most disappointing on the platform side of things. Where are the new chipsets with newest generation features that would make this platform much more attractive against Intel?
    *ahem* - A88X is the new chipset for FM2+

    What exactly do you want from a chipset?

    Main Rig

    Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)


    Entertainment Setup

    Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

    I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

  14. #14
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    335
    nothing interesting for absolute crazy price, another amd crap, nothing more

  15. #15
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    nothing interesting for absolute crazy price, another amd crap, nothing more
    I don't agree with that at all. Give me a gigabyte G1 killer, MSI gaming, or ASUS Rog board in ITX for this please. Nice small case as well. I'll take three for each TV then and replace my old HTPCs. The CPU is more than fast enough for what most consumers want, the IGP is really nice as well.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

  16. #16
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    Wait up a sec...all the info up to this point has been that IPC is ~20% or so higher than Richland, we've known the clock frequencies are lower to fit into a lower TDP...and yet you're all still complaining because it's not comprehensively danced over the corpse of an i5?

    Pick up an AMD APU + board vs an Intel CPU w/iGFX + board - AMD's solution is cheaper, and for 99% of real world usage, its more than fast enough AND it's actually capable of playing recent gaming titles - so i say again - why are you whining?
    Because AMD needs to make money from its CPU division and lots of it, if it is going to catch up to Intel one day. It's good enough for 99% of people is an excuse for AMD not to focus on CPU, but really, we would be way more excited about this product if it matched Intel for IPC performance than seeing it beat Intel in integrated gaming. In addition, most people have newer than a core 2 processors if they have a desktop. These people are better off simply buying a discrete than buying a whole new platform in Kavari. It will match the CPU performance these new kavari processors provide(and likely beat it) and they get significantly more GPU power(for less cost). In addition AMD improving their GPU more and more is a double edged sword. More GPU performance from their integrated GPU line equals less reason to buy one of there discrete GPU's.

    In addition, pure CPU performance is important to business users. Business users demand more performance from their CPU for productivity. People can justify paying significantly more money and they don't want gaming performance. Its going to be hard to sell to them this HSA thing.

    One positive thing out of these reviews is AMD has managed to squeeze more performance from an IPC perspective than Intel. Intel for a new architecture altogether only delivered 5% more peformance clock for clock compared to ivy bridge. AMD has gotten another 10% and is simply refining bulldozer. However again we see Global Foundries falling AMD time and time again. If it wasn't for the need to decrease the clock to fit into the power budget AMD would have a significantly better chip. For all the money they are pouring in GF, I would expect them to start matching TSMC, but it clear that they are worse.

    The price I think is a tad high for a AMD CPU in todays climate, at least the top end chip.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 01-14-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

  17. #17
    I am Xtreme FlanK3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Czech republic
    Posts
    6,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Right, nothing impressive here
    clock for clock its good, unfortunately, deficit of 400 MHz is not nothing . Im sure, we never seen impacts as 10 years ago, it is impossible. Real is around 5% impcat with similar clocks and with the same number of threads. Because the main problem is software optimalization. AVX, AVX2, FMA, XOP? Nice, but where is software? Few with AVX support and thats all...The same with older SSE4.
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

  18. #18
    Xtreme Enthusiast Kai Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Because AMD needs to make money from its CPU division and lots of it, if it is going to catch up to Intel one day. It's good enough for 99% of people is an excuse for AMD not to focus on CPU, but really, we would be way more excited about this product if it matched Intel for IPC performance than seeing it beat Intel in integrated gaming. In addition, most people have newer than a core 2 processors if they have a desktop. These people are better off simply buying a discrete than buying a whole new platform in Kavari. It will match the CPU performance these new kavari processors provide(and likely beat it) and they get significantly more GPU power(for less cost). In addition AMD improving their GPU more and more is a double edged sword. More GPU performance from their integrated GPU line equals less reason to buy one of there discrete GPU's.

    In addition, pure CPU performance is important to business users. Business users demand more performance from their CPU for productivity. People can justify paying significantly more money and they don't want gaming performance. Its going to be hard to sell to them this HSA thing.

    One positive thing out of these reviews is AMD has managed to squeeze more performance from an IPC perspective than Intel. Intel for a new architecture altogether only delivered 5% more peformance clock for clock compared to ivy bridge. AMD has gotten another 10% and is simply refining bulldozer. However again we see Global Foundries falling AMD time and time again. If it wasn't for the need to decrease the clock to fit into the power budget AMD would have a significantly better chip. For all the money they are pouring in GF, I would expect them to start matching TSMC, but it clear that they are worse.

    The price I think is a tad high for a AMD CPU in todays climate, at least the top end chip.
    When you say business users - who exactly do you mean? I don't think somehow that cube farms and support staff everywhere are going to need more than even a basic dual core for typing reports or doing excel - this isn't the early 90's where spreadsheets take ages to render graphs & pie charts, y'know. If you're talking render/server farms - uhm....Opteron, anyone?

    Workstations? Again, that's Xeon/Opteron territory - these CPU's are marketed as a mid-range, perfectly suitable CPU for the 99% of the population, business users include. No need for Integrated GFX? Get an Athlon X4 or FX4300, save a few quid.

    Again - take an A10-7800K and a board, then take an Intel CPU for the same price and a board, and pit them against each other. What real-world usage is going to show a NOTICEABLE difference? Not office apps or general desktop usage - that hasn't been an issue for about a decade. The sort of tests they do with Photoshop in benchmarks are unrealistic real world usage, and the sort of people that want/need a machine that fast, for doing that kind of work, aren't looking at APU's.

    The intel chip will be great for single threaded stuff, excel at multithreaded, but it'll suck, on integrated graphics. AMD will suffer on single threaded, excel at multithreaded and will win on integrated graphics. Swings and roundabouts.

    I agree that under Hector Ruiz, poor decisions were made, such as resting on the Athlon64 laurels and selling off its fabs to Abu Dhabi, but without fabs, AMD is at the mercy of GF & TSMC. They've had to sell their own offices and lease them back, just for a cash injection. I think that they've managed a 20% IPC increase in the architecture, on what, in the industry, is a shoestring, with limited facilities at their disposal, is actually very impressive.
    Last edited by Kai Robinson; 01-14-2014 at 12:28 PM.

    Main Rig

    Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)


    Entertainment Setup

    Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

    I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

  19. #19
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    Pick up an AMD APU + board vs an Intel CPU w/iGFX + board - AMD's solution is cheaper, and for 99% of real world usage, its more than fast enough AND it's actually capable of playing recent gaming titles - so i say again - why are you whining?
    What makes the AMD solution cheaper, more specifically? Can you give us an example?
    LGA1150 and FM2+ boards starts at the same price point, and the A10-7850K (3.7 GHz) cost as much as the i5-4440 (3.1 GHz). In terms of CPU performance I don't think they're comparable though.

  20. #20
    Xtreme Enthusiast Kai Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    831

    Main Rig

    Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)


    Entertainment Setup

    Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

    I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

  21. #21
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,081
    Low end Intel boards still starts at a lower price point.
    http://geizhals.de/?cat=mbfm2p
    http://geizhals.de/?cat=mbp4_1150

    Besides, the two CPU's I mentioned are not comparable in terms of CPU performance, you can easily pick a slower Intel CPU with a lower price.

  22. #22
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Kavery would shine a lot more if frequency was much higher and also the platform was newer and better, ie. more PCIe 3.0 lanes, USB 3.0 ports, quad channel RAM etc.. With this you are only getting a minor speed bump on the same platform, which makes upgrading difficult to justify.
    Just like to point out that with a88 chipset, you get 16 pcie 3.0 lanes (same as 1150/z87) USB3/2/1 in 4, 10, 2 amounts (same as intel's B/Q85, Q/H/Z87 gets 6/8/?) 8 x sata III ports (z87 gets 6), and virtual extensions are the same across the lineup (unlike intels K series). I don't think that not having quad channel mem is a justifiable offense, though it would be nice. Considering the price point, the APU's aren't really part of the upgrade every generation some enthusiasts hope for when chips come out.

    I want to see more openCL compute tests. Even Cinebench GPU stuff was ignored, which baffles me. It looks like AMD got the mem controller closer to intel's in terms of bandwidth.
    Last edited by Yeroon; 01-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

  23. #23
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    5,485
    I am still surprised that the 7850 has such a hard time to outperform the i3 4340 in cpu related tasks, even in multi threading heavy scenarios. With amd tounting all the performance gains it whould have been a walk in the park, even with the slight decrease in clock speed.... but yeah AMDs powerpoint skills strike again.

  24. #24
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miltown, Wisconsin
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    *ahem* - A88X is the new chipset for FM2+

    What exactly do you want from a chipset?
    How about more native usb3 and much better sata 6gbs performance. The AHCI performance is very weak, not to mention RAID performance. AMD always has buggy chipsets.

    Does AMD support RAID trim passthrough?
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea


    Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate




  25. #25
    Xtreme Enthusiast Kai Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    831
    Ther other major difference that separates Intel from AMD right now, as far as APU's are concerned - no AMD APU has L3 cache. Which makes me want to see a Steamroller FX even more.

    Main Rig

    Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)


    Entertainment Setup

    Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

    I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •