Thread: Swiftech's New Products for 2014

Xtreme Enthusiast

Swiftech's New Products for 2014

In case you hadn't seen Swiftech announced a bunch of new stuff at CES. I was able to tour the suite and did a write up:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2014/01/10...es-2014-suite/

Here's the TLDR:
    - New H220 revamped now called the H220X, now comes with reservoir, and fittings are removable and G 1/4 based. Radiators are very space efficient and should be compatible with any fan mount and it comes with the new....
    - Apogee XL
    - New MCP50x pump that's more powerful than the MCP35x for less money and similar noise
    - New Maelstrom V2 reservoir
    - R9-290X Plexi Top Block
    - Titan/780 Plexi Top Block (this was shown before CES though so not exactly news)
    - All LEDs will move to RGB with a customizable controller at some point.

And some pics:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for filling in the missing details, now you know more than I do ;-) I would have liked to be there, but that'll have to wait till next year...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yeah, it's interesting. Glad to see the H220X revisions over the H220, that should resolve the many bleeding issues that seemed to creep on with some H220 owners. I also just generally like the independent block look over having a vibrating pump hang and resonate on the motherboard. It's actually more similar to the old H2O series in integrated rad/pump except it makes the reservoir more of a centerpiece and allows visual confirmation of fluid levels which is good. The more removed res/pump may also help isolate vibration some. I've really come to appreciate the convenience of the AIO/CLC kits and can understand why they are so popular.

I also see pretty much everything is going to injection molding rather than machining. More initial mold costs, but that should help reduce machining costs. It seems a lot of the WC manufacturers are using more and more injection. As long as it's not acrylic, I'm good with it.

Apogee XL looks like a single pass pin setup, hard to tell, but the wide barb spacing would lend itself to single pass/cross flow as opposed to a center nozzle parallel flow path. Typically that has meant more restriction with better low flow thermal response, but not always. A new block though wouldn't exist if it didn't peform at least some better than previous, so that's always good.

I'm particularly interested in the MCP50X just because I like pumps and have been expecting something similar after seeing the H220 motor.. I think I heard the 35X is based on the H220/H220X impeller/motor except it's dialed up from about 3000RPM (H220) to 4500 (can't remember)? Supposed to put out a similar curve to the 35X except slightly more pressure tuned which is good. Reportedly 0-2GPM the MCP50X should have a pressure lead and lines cross around the 2GPM mark. The 35X is amazing and leaves the D5 behind, so even being equal to the 35X in a similar small package is impressive. If it can do better in noise, heat, and noise...that would be really nice!

Very promising , I like where several of these are going.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-12-2014 at 10:00 PM.

I am Xtreme
    The pump looks exactly like a ddc. I'd really love to see the internals of the pump.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    Thanks for filling in the missing details, now you know more than I do ;-) I would have liked to be there, but that'll have to wait till next year...
    Yeah next year for sure, though to be honest computex might a better bet from europe. CES has little computer hardware these days

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Yeah, it's interesting. Glad to see the H220X revisions over the H220, that should resolve the many bleeding issues that seemed to creep on with some H220 owners. I also just generally like the independent block look over having a vibrating pump hang and resonate on the motherboard. It's actually more similar to the old H2O series in integrated rad/pump except it makes the reservoir more of a centerpiece and allows visual confirmation of fluid levels which is good. The more removed res/pump may also help isolate vibration some. I've really come to appreciate the convenience of the AIO/CLC kits and can understand why they are so popular.

I also see pretty much everything is going to injection molding rather than machining. More initial mold costs, but that should help reduce machining costs. It seems a lot of the WC manufacturers are using more and more injection. As long as it's not acrylic, I'm good with it.

Apogee XL looks like a single pass pin setup, hard to tell, but the wide barb spacing would lend itself to single pass/cross flow as opposed to a center nozzle parallel flow path. Typically that has meant more restriction with better low flow thermal response, but not always. A new block though wouldn't exist if it didn't peform at least some better than previous, so that's always good.

I'm particularly interested in the MCP50X just because I like pumps and have been expecting something similar after seeing the H220 motor.. I think I heard the 35X is based on the H220/H220X impeller/motor except it's dialed up from about 3000RPM (H220) to 4500 (can't remember)? Supposed to put out a similar curve to the 35X except slightly more pressure tuned which is good. Reportedly 0-2GPM the MCP50X should have a pressure lead and lines cross around the 2GPM mark. The 35X is amazing and leaves the D5 behind, so even being equal to the 35X in a similar small package is impressive. If it can do better in noise, heat, and noise...that would be really nice!

Very promising , I like where several of these are going.
    Yeah those numbers sound about right on RPM from what Swiftech told me. Personally the 35x is too loud for me at full, but it's a nice little pump. I use the 35x2 on the test bench because the PWM control gives me so much flow control range.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    The pump looks exactly like a ddc. I'd really love to see the internals of the pump.
    Yeah it's definitely similar, Swiftech didn't show me the internals, but I think it's available Q1/2 so we'll know soon

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'm pretty sure the mcp50x is exactly the same impeller and motor as the H220(except 4500rpm vs the H220s 3000.), it's a pretty beefy impeller and ceramic shaft.

volute is also much the same as the 35x except for the shaft support.

They did make some minor impeller changes since the above and the mcp50x will of coarse not have the h220 block portion.

Basically a 35x with their own motor/impeller. If it turns out cheaper than a 35x or D5 and has good noise and cooling, it would be a hard pump to pass up.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-13-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Except noise & performance also some real use statistics on reliablity have to be collected to advise instead of Laings, as claimed MTBF can be any without any chance to prove/disaprove by users w/o access to large statistics. That comes only with time though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The 50X has a 6 pole motor instead of the 4 pole motor in the H220 which will lead to higher torque. The impeller magnet will also have a lower diameter so air and particles can get out of there easier which should fix the air noise problems and make the pump less prone to failure. But it's still basically an evolution of the H220 pump.

Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    Yeah next year for sure, though to be honest computex might a better bet from europe. CES has little computer hardware these days
    I already got me a travel guide for Taiwan But first CeBit, although many manufacturers aren't there anymore I think...
    Last edited by Nickel020; 01-14-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    The 50X has a 6 pole motor instead of the 4 pole motor in the H220 which will lead to higher torque. The impeller magnet will also have a lower diameter so air and particles can get out of there easier which should fix the air noise problems and make the pump less prone to failure. But it's still basically an evolution of the H220 pump.

I already got me a travel guide for Taiwan But first CeBit, although many manufacturers aren't there anymore I think...
    Interesting, didn't know...thanks!

and +1 on Churchy's reliability comment. That is one of those things that no review can sort out. Lots of users and time is the only way. When I looked at the H220 I thought the 60,000 MTBF rating and beefy looking parts were a sure thing, but there were plenty of bleeding and debris issues leading to this newer revision and I'm sure there were several iterations behind the scenes prior and after that.

I guess all of the staple Laing pumps went through many itereations as well. Perfection takes time.

I'm exicted though. The D5 and DDC have been our staple pumps for way too long, about time some stronger alternatives enter. The Jingway rebrands are another, but I never liked the rather lightweight pond pump style impeller. I've also become fond of PWM for any higher powered setup, it's the only way to truely maximize both low noise and power when you want it, also great for testing. A mcp50x2 is rumored to be in the works as well.

The more beefy H220 impeller was the first to make me think, now that's some beefcake!!..

I hope the MCP50x does good in noise, heat, reliability, and price. Sounds like hydraulic performance is a touch better although I would still like to test a pump curve on one anyway. There have been a few contenders that met all but noise and noise alone has been enough to miss the mark. Tough to compete with pumps that have been refined for so many years already I guess. Time and testing will tell.

I'll buy one when they make their way to the shelves.

Waiting for that chance..
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-14-2014 at 06:01 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hm, I'm actually not sure about it being a 6 pole motor anymore, I think I remember reading about that but I'm not sure if I haven't gotten something mixed up there. Gotta check back on that... The slightly smaller diameter impeller is a confirmed fact though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hm, I'm actually not sure about it being a 6 pole motor anymore, I think I remember reading about that but I'm not sure if I haven't gotten something mixed up there. Gotta check back on that... The slightly smaller diameter impeller is a confirmed fact though.
    Yeah I think Gabe mentioned this to me too.

Xtreme Member
    I wish there was a modular version of their AIO cooling to grow to 3x or 4x 120mm or 140mm. I like the cleanliness of the install of these systems, they appear to have similar performance to a compete DIY loop.
    [Intel core i7 4820K..........Asus Rampage IV Black Edition] LAN Parties attended:
    [512GB Samsung 840 PRO 512GB......2xWD Black 7200 2TB RAID0] FITES [fites.net] 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
    [32GB G.Skill DDR3 2400 4x8GB....2xEVGA GTX780ti Classified] L'Pane NorEaster [lpane.net] 2010, 2009, 2008
    [Corsair 900D.......Primochill CTR 250......Corsair AX1200i] Quakecon [quakecon.org] 2010, 2009
    [MCP35x2.........Swiftech Apogee HD......Swiftech MCR420-XP] PAX East [east.paxsite.com] 2012

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX2Slow View Post
    I wish there was a modular version of their AIO cooling to grow to 3x or 4x 120mm or 140mm. I like the cleanliness of the install of these systems, they appear to have similar performance to a compete DIY loop.
    There will be a 140 and 2x140 version and eventually a 3x120, but the 3x120 wasn't going to happen before the end of the year. You could just buy the cheapest version and upgrade the rad yourself though.

I do hope moving to injection molding will reduce prices, 'cause looks wise I find it cheap looking. I wouldn't mind using injection molded pieces where they're not really visible, but for the visible parts of my build I just can't give up the look of nickel plating or machined Acetel.
    Do many people use their 35X pumps at high speeds that pump noise is such a big issue? I've used a 35X for 2 years on a rather small loop (MCR320 rad, Koolance 370 cpu block and 35X+pump) and never had to run it at anything higher than lowest RPM for excellent temps, and even when I turned it up for testing it didn't get overly loud until nearly full speed, and most of that noise was a rushing water noise as I had the pump decoupled from the case.
    Right now I'm running a larger loop (MCR320 rad, MCR420 rad, Koolance 370 cpu block, 2 EK 780 gpu blocks in parallel and Maelstrom with 35X2), and even at lowest pumps speed (1450 rpm) the temps are great. It doesn't ramp up until the CPU reaches 60 C and that never happens outside of synthetic benchmarks.
    And of course, immediately after I bought a Maelstrom with 35X2 they announce the V2
    Other than the fact that I originally received a bad unit (the pump outlet was machined incorrectly and wouldn't accept a fitting properly, Swiftech fixed it for me) I don't have many complaints about it.
    Some things I hope they're looking to fix with the V2:
    Power & PWM cables- it'd be great if they were black. I'm assuming they will be if it comes with your new MCP50X pump, but black cables would be great for the regular MCP35X as well.
    Bleeding- this might already be fixed by the larger (taller mainly) reservoir, but in the V1 air can be sucked down quite easily with both pumps running at 100% unless the reservoir is completely filled up.
    Top fill hole- somewhat difficult to screw in perfectly straight... Water seeped out a couple of time when I first closed it before I got it sealed perfectly. Also can't use a regular screwdriver, had to use a coin.
    Temp display- WAAAAYYYY too bright for my tastes. I have it in my room so it's annoying at night or when gaming in the dark. If you bring the temp display back I'd personally recommend you use a black background display with blue (or other color) lettering. My fan controller is like that and it doesn't interfere with the black look of the case by having a bright white light in the center.

All in all, great new innovations from Swiftech and I'm already looking forward to my next upgrade in a couple of years

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the mcp50x is exactly the same impeller and motor as the H220(except 4500rpm vs the H220s 3000.), it's a pretty beefy impeller and ceramic shaft.

volute is also much the same as the 35x except for the shaft support.

They did make some minor impeller changes since the above and the mcp50x will of coarse not have the h220 block portion.

Basically a 35x with their own motor/impeller. If it turns out cheaper than a 35x or D5 and has good noise and cooling, it would be a hard pump to pass up.
    Hmm... maybe I should get my hands on one of those pumps at some point and see if there's some tinkering that I could do
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme XIP
    Nice pump on the H220-X , oh yes !