Thread: For North American XS members - ever tried running 240VAC/60Hz to your computer?

Xtreme Member

For North American XS members - ever tried running 240VAC/60Hz to your computer?

For North American XS members, has anybody here ever tried running their systems on 240VAC/60Hz?

I just bought my first house and I'm contemplating running a 240VAC line in my house for my computers and I was just wondering if anybody here has done that before. (I mean, this IS XtremeSystems right?)

Any input or commentary would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

Xtreme Member
    If you need more juice, just put in a 20-amp circuit vs a 15-amp circuit:

15-amp circuit
    Total Wattage Capacity: 15 amps x 120 volts = 1,800 watts
    Safe Wattage Capacity: 1,800 watts x 80% = 1,440 watts

20-amp circuit
    Total Wattage Capacity: 20 amps x 120 volts = 2,400 watts
    Safe Wattage Capacity: 2,400 watts x 80% = 1,920 watts

It works just fine, but what's the point?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Legend

as you can see the advantage is not huge. As long as the proper plug and socket are used it should be safe provided the breaker is rated correctly for all the cables to your pc (breakers/fuses are designed to protect the circuit not the item in use)

http://www.apcdistributors.com/white...0Equipment.pdf
    Last edited by OldChap; 01-07-2014 at 11:43 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

as you can see the advantage is not huge. As long as the proper plug and socket are used it should be safe provided the breaker is rated correctly for all the cables to your pc (breakers/fuses are designed to protect the circuit not the item in use)

http://www.apcdistributors.com/white...0Equipment.pdf
    not huge?
    i want to buy a house now so i can install 240 line for my crunchers!
    Anubis gets better efficiency out of his gold PSU than I do from my platinum
    Last edited by NKrader; 01-08-2014 at 09:24 AM.

I have a mining computer that I use a 220 line for. I ran a dedicated run and put in a goofy plug so that other things aren't accidentally plugged into it. I have enough parts and cable that I will eventually extend the line to my main computer, but haven't done so yet. I use a platinum rated PSU and along with the 220 line for highest efficiency. My killawatt meter doesn't work with 220 so I cannot tell exactly if there is any savings. Amperage draw is less with the higher voltage, so you can use thinner power cable to your PSU and you can run more computers off of the same amperage circuit.

Xtreme Legend
    The only time you will come unstuck is when trying to run motors designed to run on 60Hz using a 50Hz supply (or vice versa), but I doubt this will be a concern here.

If you search around the web you may find some info showing certain psu's have a greater total wattage capability at the higher voltage but again it will not be huge.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    just talked to electrician that is around about this, after being calming his confusion about why I would want 220v service in an office, he said it would be super easy to do. also cool is the fact that you could pull 3800W from a single 220v/20a line, Id only need one breaker for all my crunchers and gaming rig combined no matter what!

now i need to buy a house.