Thread: Condensor cleaning

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question Condensor cleaning

What is the best method to clean a condenser, including in between the fins? It is already installed in a cased single stage so can't submerge it and don't have the HVAC skill or tools to uninstall and clean it.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Have you tried High pressure washer with distilled water and a foam cleaner? of course not that much pressure. The needed to remove dust because too much can mint the fins or at least twist them a bit.

As for the inside of the condenser I use R-141B (is like WD-40). Then you clean that out with R-22. Final step is vacumming .

Maybe other can share their cleaning methods.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have yet to try anything yet, wanted to hear some suggestions before I do anything. Was thinking maybe try to section off as much as I can behind the condenser and light spray it down then dry it off with compressed air.

What would be a good brand or type of cleaner to use? Anything household?
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Addict
    It fully depends on how dirty the coils are and what type of contaminants it is in contact with. Household air usually is free of the types of pollutants that will create situations where dirt and grime will adhere to the coils, so high pressure air would likely suffice.

You should thoroughly inspect the coil and determine if you've got dust accumulation, or if grime has adhered to the fins. Most solvents will require you to use appropriate vapor protection, and are usually not advisable in an indoor environment where collection of fumes, and contamination of other surfaces is a probability.

The other issue is that solvents are going to have to be rinsed off. A Foam cleaner requires you to cover the coil with the foam for a certain period, vacuum it off, and then rinse. Such a process will need to be repeated for more significant dirt. Give that, you probably won't be able to properly clean the coil without making a mess. So I would try compressed air.

Question, are you observing significant decline in unitary performance? If not, compressed air will probably suffice.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Question, are you observing significant decline in unitary performance? If not, compressed air will probably suffice.
    I haven't ran the unit in a while but over the weekend, there was an accident were liquid was spilled and went through the vents in the front of the unit. What I'm worried mostly about is corrosion. So what I'm looking to do is find something that can hopefully remove any corrosion. I know that I need some sort of solvent and something to scrub with but not sure what the proper technique may be. Ideally I just need it to keep it working till the summer or end of the year when I plan on getting it upgraded and repaired, which would include a new condenser.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Addict
    What type of liquid? I would caution you regarding the many horror stories about corrosion just because of the mere presence of aluminum

Consider that Roof Top Chillers are designed with copper tubes and aluminum fins, or with micro-channel aluminum condensers with some copper parts in contact. They perform well for years, and are exposed to rain that contains pollutants, so I wouldn't worry too much about an incident of liquid contact causing corrosion that is so severe that it would impede heat transfer unless I saw actual evidence. Discoloration isn't evidence, its normal.

Are you seeing evidence of severe corrosion?
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What type of liquid? Are you seeing evidence of severe corrosion?
    It was a beer that was accidental knocked off a table sitting above the unit. On the outside coils I can see a little bit of corrosion but as I've seen with air heatsinks it's nothing major. I'm more concerned what may be going on in between the fins that I cannot see and easily access.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thank you very much. I looked around for some stuff and techniques but obviously nothing is geared to our exact situations. I'll get a can of that stuff and see how it works out.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Cruncher
    Keep in mind that says evaporator cleaner. While it might not seem like a big difference at first, you need to keep in mind that evaps typically get wet with condensation. I think they're relying on that to wash the stuff away. You can probably still use it on your condenser, but maybe spray it down with some water out of a spray-bottle afterwards.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Like i said, a mess. Be prepared and use proper "ppe."

I still think you are over reacting to mild surface oxidation. I would test performance before insisting on making a mess.

Why not take some pics and show us the coil.
    Regards, Stew.....

Administrator

Why not take some pics and show us the coil.
    Agreed on this
    Lets see what you are working on.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Will do this week when I get time to break the unit down.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Addict
    I would take some pictures before doing any major work...
    Regards, Stew.....