Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2013 Mac Pro Review

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    The problem with that anandtech review are the tested workloads. And in addition, it was only compared against other macs.
    The problem with AnandTech review is it does not confirm at all what you're preaching. This should have answer all your big worries unless you do not trust AnandTech and somehow know much better even without you having the product.
    The new Mac Pro?s thermal core works extremely well in practice. The single, shared heatsink and large fan keep the system cool and quiet. Real world workloads that I threw at the machine weren?t enough to throttle any of the processors (CPU or GPU). Despite its compact proportions, the Mac Pro?s cooling solution is appropriately sized for the silicon it serves.
    If I remember right you trusted AnandTech completely when they reviewed the AMD R9 290 series. Beside it's not only AnandTech there are other reviews.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    You guys really don't think they have tested all this power/heat stuff before releasing it ?
    It had a nominal ~3.5GHz CPU throttling to 2GHz to keep itself cool. 85-95*C under heavy load is fine for a consumer desktop system that might see those kind of temperatures every once in a while. In a prosumer/commercial machine like the Mac Pro, you will see reduced life of the components at temperatures that high, as you may be doing things like having a movie or a scene render for hours (or days) at a time.
    Last edited by [XC] Lead Head; 01-03-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What i've learned in my lifetime about apple products: (i'm not a apple basher, i own several apple products, and will continue to buy their phones for Facetime and iMessage)

• Apple prioritizes Form over Function
    • Apple thinks of themselves as a Fashion Company for Computers (and admittedly they are)
    • Apple stuff is usually watered down off the shelf parts in a custom package
    • Apple stuff is really expensive
    • Apple wants you to buy a new computer every 2-3 years
    • Apple wants you to buy a new phone every 2 years
    • Apple does not want users to upgrade their own devices/systems only their own professionals should do this.
    • Apple is a little emo
    • Apple is rich
    • Apple has the best industrial design in the industry
    • Apple are Democrats
    • Apple has good customer service
    • Apple has stores all over the world making window shopping and warranty repair a lot less obtrusive.
    • Apple does not want you to have total control over your devices, instead wants to show you how they think things should be.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    What i've learned in my lifetime about apple products: (i'm not a apple basher, i own several apple products, and will continue to buy their phones for Facetime and iMessage)

• Apple prioritizes Form over Function
    • Apple thinks of themselves as a Fashion Company for Computers (and admittedly they are)
    • Apple stuff is usually watered down off the shelf parts in a custom package
    • Apple stuff is really expensive
    • Apple wants you to buy a new computer every 2-3 years
    • Apple wants you to buy a new phone every 2 years
    • Apple does not want users to upgrade their own devices/systems only their own professionals should do this.
    • Apple is a little emo
    • Apple is rich
    • Apple has the best industrial design in the industry
    • Apple are Democrats
    • Apple has good customer service
    • Apple has stores all over the world making window shopping and warranty repair a lot less obtrusive.
    • Apple does not want you to have total control over your devices, instead wants to show you how they think things should be.
    When I think of Apple, this is what really sticks out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Hackintosh still isn't legal by the EULA. I've done it at home, but I'm not going to start making them at work... because it's not legal and I'd fire my own ass for doing it. You might be in a different legal area where this isn't an issue, but for a lot of people it is.
    Yes different legal area is the difference, in here software developer cannot limit what hardware the software is used with and rendering EULA useless.

Anyway, i placed order for Mac Pro (12 core, D700, 32Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, 8099eur) just so i can evaluate the machine my self, i will not trust any 3rd party's reviews of any computer hardware.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    The problem with AnandTech review is it does not confirm at all what you're preaching. This should have answer all your big worries unless you do not trust AnandTech and somehow know much better even without you having the product.

If I remember right you trusted AnandTech completely when they reviewed the AMD R9 290 series. Beside it's not only AnandTech there are other reviews.
    The only workloads he showed, were final cut pro, photoshop and blender. None of these are close enough to be a heavy workload. He needs to test more programs to get a greater grasp if this thing can throttle because parts of his results are already showing it.

Look at the gaming results. 30% lower than a CF 280x is showing signs of throttling. If you can get that in a gaming load, you could even do it easier in a real workload(noted he even said the frequency of the game went between 650 and 850, which is throttling). This is already contradictory of the statement you highlighted.

You have to not be so blind to see that testing photoshop, blender and final cut pro is not enough for a review of a work station. This has the least results of any anandtech review done in recent time.

Don't you see a problem with only a 20% increase over an 2100 dollar imac when it costs 428% more? It could be throttling here as well as the performance should be vastly better compared to a imac or a 2009 mac pro. Throttling could be happening. It has Theoretically 2.5-3x the computational GPU power, 2.5-3x the CPU power over the imac and all it yields is 20% in a test apple specifically wanted reviewers to test.

The only thing the review showed good performance on was a pure CPU test.

You always slam nvidia for outrageous prices, this is even worse than that.

Plus the biggest thing I have against this thing wasn't so much the cooling. It was primarily the power supply. Its too small for a $9000 workstation.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 01-03-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    You guys really don't think they have tested all this power/heat stuff before releasing it ?
    Look at Macbook/Mac Air

I'd say "not enough"
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    The only workloads he showed, were final cut pro, photoshop and blender. None of these are close enough to be a heavy workload. He needs to test more programs to get a greater grasp if this thing can throttle because parts of his results are already showing it.

Look at the gaming results. 30% lower than a CF 280x is showing signs of throttling. If you can get that in a gaming load, you could even do it easier in a real workload(noted he even said the frequency of the game went between 650 and 850, which is throttling). This is already contradictory of the statement you highlighted.

You have to not be so blind to see that testing photoshop, blender and final cut pro is not enough for a review of a work station. This has the least results of any anandtech review done in recent time.

Don't you see a problem with only a 20% increase over an 2100 dollar imac when it costs 428% more? It could be throttling here as well as the performance should be vastly better compared to a imac or a 2009 mac pro. Throttling could be happening. It has Theoretically 2.5-3x the computational GPU power, 2.5-3x the CPU power over the imac and all it yields is 20% in a test apple specifically wanted reviewers to test.

The only thing the review showed good performance on was a pure CPU test.

Plus the biggest thing I have against this thing wasn't so much the cooling. It was primarily the power supply. Its too small for a $9000 workstation.
    You just unbelieable as always. Even after AnandTech did say clearly NO throttling, you claim there was throttling. Guess AnandTech screw up the review completely and you do better review without having the card. Beside no other site ever said anything about throttling or the power supply is too small.

ABOUT
    Another BS I seldom talk about Nvidia PERIOD except posting some reviews, unlike you always being on AMD bashing trip, there is plenty off evidence about it on this and other forums I already pointed it out few times.

My last reply on this subject. Sometime I really wonder why do I waste any time with you and maybe better put you on ignore list, since I'm trying to ignore most of your post anyway.

That's why when I posted the AnandTech article I avoided to mention any names just to avoid your long stories twisted replies and never ending argument.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Administrator
    Lets stay on topic people, this thread is about the Mac Pro.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rintamarotta View Post
    Oh yes it would and will run Mac OS X perfectly fine along with all Mac Software. It's called Hackintosh, but im not going to talk more about it.

What i like in new MacPro is its compact size and that compact size added to performance new Mac Pro can provide is fantastic, if it costs 10k$ for best configuration then so be it, i want it due compact size, performance per inch.
    We tried that at my office, we've built a dual E5-2697 v2, 128GB RAM, 8 x 1TB SSD in RAID10 and tried to boot any version of hackintosh. Unfortunately whatever we tried we couldn't get it to work. We could get it to install, but would not get past first boot.

Also tried installing Hacked Mavericks to no avail.

Sure there is a way to get it working but for now we've gone to Linux on that machine.
    FX8350 @ 4.0Ghz | 32GB @ DDR3-1200 4-4-4-12 | Asus 990FXA @ 1400Mhz | AMD HD5870 Eyefinity | XFX750W | 6 x 128GB Sandisk Extreme RAID0 @ Aerca 1882ix with 4GB DRAM
    eXceed TJ07 worklog/build

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These Babies when filly loaded will cost around $20K but the point of them is in the name! They are for PROFESSIONALS who can claim this cost against their tax as they need them for work in the Music, Film/Video or Publishing industries.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Mentor
    Had a look at it and its really tiny makes my HAF XB look huge but under full load it was hot. They were testing the hex core variant for TDP limitations and using a variety of processors but I and quite a few others don't like the new approach specially the common heat mechanism among others.

We call it enhanced NUC this time Apple copied Intel.
    Coming Soon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234