Thread: How can i Bond 2 DSL lines into one connection

Xtreme Enthusiast

Lightbulb How can i Bond 2 DSL lines into one connection

I currently have 2 DSL 3 Mbps DSL modems/lines from the Same ISP (windstream) and i'm looking to BOND them into one line with double speeds.

Line 1: Windstream 3 Mbps Down 768 Kbps Up DSL Line: Speedstream 4200 DSL Modem
    Line 2: Windstream 3 Mbps Down 768 Kbps Up DSL Line: Speedstream 4300 DSL Modem
    Both Modems are Bridged, but i can unbridge them if necessary.

Currently i'm using a TP Link TL-R470T+ Load Balancing Router (configured 2 WAN 1 LAN), and i put both of the DSL modems in Bridge Mode and let the router do PPoE and DCHP. I am getting double the speeds in Steam, and a few other multi session apps, but not that many. Netflix, Speedtest.net, Amazon instant video, only utilize one of the lines, however Steam, uTorrent, and Origin is capable of Utilizing Both.

Despite doing a hour or two of research, i'm no closer to finding a easy way to Bond my 2 DSL Lines.

I'm wondering if a router exist that is capable of bonding. I heard that the ISP no longer has to enable bonding since it's done at a much higher level (layer 7). So theatrically you can bond them without any assistance.

So far all i've come across are Bonding Services which are very very expensive, and usually come with a monthly service fee.

I'm looking to buy a router or box that can bond both of these lines so i get 6 Mbps Down, and 1.4 Mbps Up..

Budget is $500 or less for the Box that bond's them with no monthly service Fee.

Is this possible?, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    I currently have 2 DSL 3 Mbps DSL modems/lines from the Same ISP (windstream) and i'm looking to BOND them into one line with double speeds.

Line 1: Windstream 3 Mbps Down 768 Kbps Up DSL Line: Speedstream 4200 DSL Modem
    Line 2: Windstream 3 Mbps Down 768 Kbps Up DSL Line: Speedstream 4300 DSL Modem
    Both Modems are Bridged, but i can unbridge them if necessary.

Currently i'm using a TP Link TL-R470T+ Load Balancing Router (configured 2 WAN 1 LAN), and i put both of the DSL modems in Bridge Mode and let the router do PPoE and DCHP. I am getting double the speeds in Steam, and a few other multi session apps, but not that many. Netflix, Speedtest.net, Amazon instant video, only utilize one of the lines, however Steam, uTorrent, and Origin is capable of Utilizing Both.

Despite doing a hour or two of research, i'm no closer to finding a easy way to Bond my 2 DSL Lines.

I'm wondering if a router exist that is capable of bonding. I heard that the ISP no longer has to enable bonding since it's done at a much higher level (layer 7). So theatrically you can bond them without any assistance.

So far all i've come across are Bonding Services which are very very expensive, and usually come with a monthly service fee.

I'm looking to buy a router or box that can bond both of these lines so i get 6 Mbps Down, and 1.4 Mbps Up..

Budget is $500 or less for the Box that bond's them with no monthly service Fee.

Is this possible?, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    is 4g an option? the service costs of the 2 dsl lines + budget to purchase hardware would be more than getting a 4g hotspot. your throughput would be much higher as well.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    4G is a good idea, depending on the providers in the area ( if at all ) and their prices and limitations on data transfer.

Otherwise, you can bond the lines to act as one using a multi-wan router like a Draytek Vigor ( pretty good solution and reasonably priced compared to the more business oriented and three to four times pricier Cisco products )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    4G is a good idea, depending on the providers in the area ( if at all ) and their prices and limitations on data transfer.

Otherwise, you can bond the lines to act as one using a multi-wan router like a Draytek Vigor ( pretty good solution and reasonably priced compared to the more business oriented and three to four times pricier Cisco products )
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the Draytek Vigor, it looks like this is just a load balancing router, instead of a bonder. (although this router does have dual band wifi and Gigabit Ethernet, otherwise it's got the same functionality as my current TP Link router does.)

4G around my area is $60 a month for 50 GB, and i have to buy a hotspot. 4G Speeds in my area average 8 Mbps.

However i am reluctant to do this because i would probably eat through 50GB fast with netflix and youtube videos. Which is the primary reason i need the increased bandwidth. The sad part about my situation is i have a 1 inch thick fiber optic cable in my front yard, but it's running to a cell tower and the ISP who owns the line is Bluegrass Cellular, which does Mobile only.

The FCC Rules of only 1 DSL Provider and 1 Cable Provider per region has really hurt america's high speed internet ambitions. The monopoly they have lets them do whatever they want.

Windstream recieved money from the Obama internet Bill years ago to upgrade their backbone from ADSL to VDSL and upgrade existing lines. but instead, windstream layed 25 miles of fiber in Arkansas (their HQ location) and that's it. They didnt go to any other markets besides Arkansas and upgrades planned for Kentucky, were put on the back burner. I have filed claims with the BBB and finally got them to admit they delayed upgrading plans and pretty much they offerend me a $10 credit per month for not being able to fufill 3 Mbps.
    Last edited by jasonelmore; 12-25-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like i found one.

http://www.supplysale.com/Item.aspx?...FYZi7AodtXIAOQ

From DSL Reports Forum:

As far as I know, no such (modem only) device exists. The broadcom chipset used for bonded line DSL modems is an all-in-one modem/router chipset and while the routing function can be turned off it does not make any financial sense for manufacturers to offer a modem only version.
    I have the Comtrend Nexuslink 5631 and the ZyXEL P-663HN-51 and both are build with the same chipsets (different firmware and different wireless radios). However I bought both from my ISP (Sonic.net) because it is next to impossible to buy DSL modem/routers for bonded DSL anywhere else. The only one I have ever seen offered at an online store was the ZyXEL P-663H-51 (no wireless) and the price was almost 3 times what I paid for the P-663HN-51 (with wireless).
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r282...r-a-good-modem.

For anyone else looking
    Last edited by jasonelmore; 12-25-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The best solution would be calling Windstream and asking if they could enable a Multilink PPP connection for ya.
    That's going to be a single IP with both lines on it, thus properly bonded ADSL lines.

Every other solution doesn't work in every case ( site/app, depends on their code and servers ) because each line has its own IP.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i ordered the ZyXEL P-663HN-51 from supplysale i should have it by next week. i'll post back here letting everyone know how it works out, and if i have to contact my ISP or not. I heard bonding can be done on layer 7 without the need for special settings from the ISP.
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So it came in yesterday, but it didnt work out. it turns out, Windstream will NOT support Bonding. After configuring the modem and talking with Zyxtel support, i have confirmed that the ISP must enable bonding at junction box. The problem comes when entering PPOE settings.

Since i have 2 lines, i had 2 accounts each with they're own unique username and password.

For bonding to work, both lines have to use the same username and password, and in order for them to have the same Username and password, the junction box must be "soft wired" to allow it. However windstream refuses.

Sorry guys

/WorstISPEver
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

Xtreme Mentor
    I used IPCOP (linux distro) for load-balancing/bonding purpose in the past and it worked very well.
    If you have an old PC's and some NIC's you can maybe give it a try.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The $50 TP-Link Router i mentioned in the first post does load balancing fine, but it wont utilize both connections on single session apps such as Google Chrome, or iphone downloading apps/updates etc.. The load balance router does give me the sum of both connections on utorrent and Steam tho.
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB