Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EA faces class action investor lawsuit over quality of Battlefield 4

EA faces class action investor lawsuit over quality of Battlefield 4

found this on accident on techpowerup.com while browsing their bios collection
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/19/in...battlefield-4/

"Did you ever crash to desktop and wish you could sue Electronic Arts over the buggy, unstable quality of Battlefield 4? Well, if you bought stock in the company between the dates of July 24, 2013 and December 4, 2013, you can! Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP is seeking to file a class action lawsuit against EA and "certain of its officers and directors," with the claim that EA knowingly misrepresented the quality of Battlefield 4 and how it expected it to preform financially. This is on top of a similar investigation led by Holzer Holzer & Fistel, LLC.

Let's take a look at some of the alternately mind-numbing and hilarious legal speak in Robbins Geller's press release:

"The complaint alleges that during the Class Period [dates mentioned above], defendants issued materially false and misleading statements highlighting the purported strength of the Company?s [EA] rollout of version 4 of its all-important Battlefield video game series, which had provided approximately 11% of its revenues in fiscal 2012. Based on the purported strength of the Battlefield 4 rollout then underway, defendants issued strong fiscal 2014 financial guidance for the Company and actually increased that guidance on October 29, 2013 [what EA expected to earn]. The price of Electronic Arts? stock steadily climbed on these statements, reaching a Class Period high of $28.13 per share by August 23, 2013 and allowing certain of Electronic Arts? senior executives to sell their Electronic Arts stock at artificially inflated prices."

The complaint goes on to describe how players and investors alike discovered that BF4 at launch was "riddled&nbspwithbugs," after which EA's stock value declined by as much as seven percent. As a result, the lawsuit alleges that "Electronic Arts would not achieve a successful holiday season 2013 rollout of Battlefield 4." Robbins Geller also calls out the news that DICE halted development on all future projects until it sorted out the Battlefield 4 issues, further hurting stock value. Basically, the lawsuit asserts that EA was aware of all the issues, that it knew BF4 would have a troubled launch, and that it talked it up anyway to sell stock at an inflated price.

"We believe these claims are meritless," EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications John Reseburg told Gamasutra "We intend to aggressively defend ourselves, and we?re confident the court will dismiss the complaint in due course."

I feel for people who bought BF4 and aren't able to enjoy it as advertised, and messy, buggy launches are a serious industry-wide problem, especially with multiplayer games. It's clearly not fair to the consumer, but say what you will about EA, I find it hard to believe that DICE expected BF4 to be this unstable. The sale of senior executives' stock at its high point looks bad, but stock fraud may turn out to be too hefty an accusation to hold up.

We think BF4 is a conceptually and creatively great game, but it is suffering from serious technical issues, which I hope will be sorted out sooner than later. Most likely, I think we're seeing a worse repeat of the Battlefield 3 launch, not the world's most inefficient con.

However, if you bought EA stock in the aforementioned dates, you could serve as lead plaintiff if you contact Robbin's Geller within 60 days."
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

c[_]
    Can I complain because BF3 had a motorcycle for the end game content but BF4 you had to buy the motorcycle again in a DLC for BF4?

What bothers me the most is the lack of maps.. and hollywood physics.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    The latest Dec.16 patch broke crossfire (which I have) and SLI. The funny thing is I didn't try MP until Dec. 16 so my awesome first time MP experience ended up devolving into two-hours of adjusting settings trying to get the textures to stop popping...until finally googling the issue and finding out DICE the 1GB patch I installed broke crossfire. I suppose I could disable one video card but that defeats the purpose of having crossfire. Well I hope they get it fixed... and on the stocks issue I'm sure it is ok to make false statements to drive your stock prices up...I mean, isn't that as American as Apple Pie?
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

c[_]
    Just a something interesting, it seems switching to 1T CMD on ram gave me almost an extra 10FPS vs 2T. Mind you i'm running at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 though, because my ram sucks (mushkin pc3-12800 993995)

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Everybody bow to the Lords of Programming, DICE
    The best game developer in the world
    Investors destroyed the Art in Electronic Arts and now want their money back.

I lol'd so hard reading this.

Xtreme Addict
    EA had it coming.
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Just a something interesting, it seems switching to 1T CMD on ram gave me almost an extra 10FPS vs 2T. Mind you i'm running at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 though, because my ram sucks (mushkin pc3-12800 993995)
    Yep bf4 loves mem bandwidth
    That said its extremely sensitive to my initial overclock
    I had to go down to 2133 from 2400 in order to not crash (its about 10ish fps loss as well) and reduced my 3930k clock speed to 4.7ghz
    So Yea am also in the market for better memory
    NF7 v2.0 | 2400XP-M @ 220 x 13.5 2970mhz | Prometeia Mach 2 Cooled | 2 x 256MB XMS3500| R9800Pro (497/430) on air |
    2x WD800JB Raid 0 | 1 x WD800JB (storage) | Antec TrueControl 550
    3dmark2001

Xtreme Addict
    No surprise to read this. Battlefield 4 is a huge disappointment of a game. I thoroughly enjoyed BF3 multiplayer and was so excited by the supposed extras that BF4 will bring but unfortunately the game is glitchy, has terrible maps, that annoying network smoothing which even when turned right down seems to make no difference. I gave up playing it.

Xtreme Member
    One of the reasons I don't buy AAA games at launch. The main one, though, is being broke
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Mentor
    I played the beta. I did not buy the game.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea.I dont play MP games as of late few years, last ones i had really fun was UT the original or FEAR1 ,sole exception was Portal 2 co-op.However i ended up "fixing" computer yesterday because "games dont work"
    .As it turned out, BF4 doesnt work, it crashes with no reason at all, or origin says someone else logged in into account, i almost started whole procedure of changing passwd and calling EA about a "hack" ,im sure glad i checked the interwebz first, its a common issue with origin and BF4 lately...
    No wonder i dont play MP nowadays, you have no control on your MP server, enviroment and you are served buggy as hell games, which suckz ballz anyway.
    Double checked the pc stability furmark+prime few hours no prob, 3dmarks no prob, memtest no prob, so yea.EA should die.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Member
    Who are more optimistic? People willing to pay $26-28 for shares in a company that won worst company in america two years running and rarely makes money or people who still buy EA games in 2013.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Double checked the pc stability furmark+prime few hours no prob, 3dmarks no prob, memtest no prob, so yea.EA should die.
    While I completely understand where you are coming from, the best way IMO to tell if its the game or the overclock is just run stock for a awhile...if the game still crashes then you know with more certainty its buggy software, game or driver

Over the past decade I have had similar upsets regarding what should be a completely stable oc, sometimes it just makes 0 sense how I can prime and furmark but a specific game which creates less heat still manages to throw me windows based exception errors.

Bf4 and bf3 have ran completely flawless for me in terms of crashing... Battlelog and punkbuster service problems seem to be more common for me...but not even that bad. I may have a problem once or twice a week... And I play daily

I too am a core UT player but not just 99 I played them all, CTF and DM mostly 2k3 being my favorite due to quick weapon switching
    NF7 v2.0 | 2400XP-M @ 220 x 13.5 2970mhz | Prometeia Mach 2 Cooled | 2 x 256MB XMS3500| R9800Pro (497/430) on air |
    3dmark2001

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How far we've come that a video game entertainment product launch can be scrutinized to such an extent that people will file lawsuits because of 'too many bugs'. What a time to be alive!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    How far we've come that a video game entertainment product launch can be scrutinized to such an extent that people will file lawsuits because of 'too many bugs'. What a time to be alive!

Same thing happened with diablo 3, its not as uncommon as it seems, nothing will come out of it..
    3dmark2001

Xtreme Member
    just saying
    ms and nvidia can't even scale pop up menu's to any res. one size fits all . so one has to think are the program managers reviewing their departments on their low res. apple laptops or just the low res. crap cheapest dell monitors IT puts on in their work cubical.
    -so no doubt ea has issues using programing mill's , using 12" mono chrome monitors to QC said games.
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Same thing happened with diablo 3, its not as uncommon as it seems, nothing will come out of it..
    Did Blizzard execs also sell Blizzard stock shortly before Diablo 3 release?

Cause on another site i read that EA execs sold EA stock shortly before BF4 launch.

Before the BF4 launch those same execs kept saying how awesome it would be and raised expected results for the quarter. Due to this investors bought stock and the EA stock prices went up.
    Then shortly before the BF4 launch those same execs sell EA stock (at its high point).

Then BF4 launches, it turns out to be crap/bug fest and EA stock prices go down. Then EA pulls people from other projects to help fix BF4 forcing EA stock prices to drop even further (because releases for other games and BF4 DLC wil get delayed hurting future income).

It is said that Andrew Wilson (CEO) sold 40.000 shares shortly before the BF4 release.
    This might have been a coincidence but it does look suspect (if true).

the complaint:
    http://www.rgrdlaw.com/media/cases/255_Complaint.pdf
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

Cause on another site i read that EA execs sold EA stock shortly before BF4 launch.

Before the BF4 launch those same execs kept saying how awesome it would be and raised expected results for the quarter. Due to this investors bought stock and the EA stock prices went up.
    Then shortly before the BF4 launch those same execs sell EA stock (at its high point).

Then BF4 launches, it turns out to be crap/bug fest and EA stock prices go down. Then EA pulls people from other projects to help fix BF4 forcing EA stock prices to drop even further (because releases for other games and BF4 DLC wil get delayed hurting future income).

It is said that Andrew Wilson (CEO) sold 40.000 shares shortly before the BF4 release.

the complaint:
    Yea I had read that too last night, indeed it seems to me that this is the real crux of the issue with their falling share price.. The bugs arent the really the issue with investors, its the share price.
    History is littered with buggy games unfixed bf4 brings nothing really new to the table.
    3dmark2001

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

the complaint:
    maybe the CEO needed coin to buy his missus a new snuggy.... $25 value, plus you get another snuggy.... or maybe he's just a rotten C*NT
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Addict
    The generation of lofty and unrealistic expectations. I played the beta, liked it, got the game, still like it. Crashes and all. Most of you probably couldn't even mow a lawn right. Really, I would love to be able to critique your job the way games get criticized for the smallest of things.

Just logged in to BattleLog. Tons of full servers. Can't suck that bad. Xtreme Systems has some Xtreme whiners.
    Last edited by Aberration; 12-20-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Say what you like, but pushing out products that are beta-level complete (and then forcing people to pay for incremental patches to something resembling a gold master via DLC) is becoming an industry standard for AAA titles, with companies like EA and Ubisoft at the helm of this race to see exactly how much they can half-ass their releases and still remail profitable.

This time they just half-assed it a little too much, and are now losing profits. Boo-hoo.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Say what you like, but pushing out products that are beta-level complete (and then forcing people to pay for incremental patches to something resembling a gold master via DLC) is becoming an industry standard for AAA titles, with companies like EA and Ubisoft at the helm of this race to see exactly how much they can half-ass their releases and still remail profitable.

This time they just half-assed it a little too much, and are now losing profits. Boo-hoo.
    Please... Hate mongering and all... Every version of windows is arguably more beta than bf4 on release
    Just go play hello kitty world or some... People are playing the game despite all the hate..honestly check blizz forums on every game release to see similar whining...those of us who have gamed this long know this isn't exceptional
    3dmark2001

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    The generation of lofty and unrealistic expectations. I played the beta, liked it, got the game, still like it. Crashes and all. Most of you probably couldn't even mow a lawn right. Really, I would love to be able to critique your job the way games get criticized for the smallest of things.

Just logged in to BattleLog. Tons of full servers. Can't suck that bad. Xtreme Systems has some Xtreme whiners.

Nah its not just xs... But as we all know the loudest ones are the negative ones... Noone will make a thread ever to praise a game... But hate on something everyone has something to say

Fact is there are a fload of full servers nearly every hour of the day, if the game was that unplayable it wouldn't be the case
    I am one with no major issues.. Then again I don't spend my time whining, I spend my time fixing and optimizing my experience
    Games are my priority over max oc or anything like that. Bf4 is an unbelievable experience in my mind, almost as good as gta5

I also have cod: ghosts... But have nothing really good to say about it.. Its a rehash, that upsets me slightly more.. Not enough to make a thread about it tho haha
    3dmark2001

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post

Welcome to last decade.
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Nah its not just xs... But as we all know the loudest ones are the negative ones... Noone will make a thread ever to praise a game... But hate on something everyone has something to say

Fact is there are a fload of full servers nearly every hour of the day, if the game was that unplayable it wouldn't be the case
    I am one with no major issues.. Then again I don't spend my time whining, I spend my time fixing and optimizing my experience
    Games are my priority over max oc or anything like that. Bf4 is an unbelievable experience in my mind, almost as good as gta5

I also have cod: ghosts... But have nothing really good to say about it.. Its a rehash, that upsets me slightly more.. Not enough to make a thread about it tho haha
    It seems these days people are more interested in pointing out what is wrong with something, than enjoying what there is. I remember when there was no patching, so you just accepted it.

Like I said, I would love to see the quality of work these people do. I am guessing you need a cattle-prod to get them off their duff, and still no expectation of a decent effort. SMH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast