Thread: Overclocking CyberPower Fangbook 4700MQ + Corsair Vengence

Overclocking CyberPower Fangbook 4700MQ + Corsair Vengence

My Fangbook:
    I have a Cyberpower Fanbook with 4700MQ 2.4Ghz processor and Nvidia GTX 770M graphics, pretty much mainstream as there are higher end CPU and GPU combinations available. I have a pair of 480GB Intel S3500(enterprise drive) SSD's in RAID 0 and 16GBCorsair Vengeance 1600C10 memory.
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/F...aming_Notebook

Clearing CMOS:
    For many this is a major issue as there is no answer online, there is no documentation or information to clear cmos, you can call tech support and they will fail to give you an answer. But this works:

Unplug power
    Remove battery
    Remove rear cover
    Unplug CMOS battery, the battery is on the other side of the motherboard, you will not be able to see it. There is no secret hole or button to push.
    Tech support will ask you to remove ram. I even tried reseating the CPU.
    The reason I start with this information is that if you plan to OC your laptop you will need this information to recover.

Design:
    The Fangbook is made by Mitac, along with the MSI GT70 series aka Dragon 2.
    The major difference between the Fanbook and Dragon 2 is the CPU cooling heat pipes.
    This is the Fangbook heatpipe design, it obstructs memory slots badly and the GPU heat sink should be removed to access dim slots. It is possible to loosen the GPU bracket but you will have to force the SODIMM from the socket and could damage it.

This is the Dragon 2 design, slightly different.

Updating of BIOS:
    The Bios is Aptio AMI and has minimal adjustments, nothing for CPU, memory, graphics... Just boot device and SATA raid.
    Running XTU on both reveals the same options except one major detail, on the Cyberpower you cannot select 35x and 36 cache ratio or max turbo speed, if you have to switch over to the Dragon 2 bios and select the bios to your configuration. I switched to the MSI bios, it changed my boot logo and revealed nothing else in bios. No other options are available other than I can now select 35x and 36x in XTU. It seems impossible to disable Hyperthreading on these laptops with this current bios. Despite the warning of MSI and Cyberpower I successfully switched BIOS. I used the windows flash program. Even though it is an MSI BIOS it still shows correct model number.

Windows:
    I was able to load windows XP with slip steamed service packs and drivers, the bios needs to be set in IDE/Legacy mode. Win 7 ACHI or RAID/Legacy Win 8 ACHI or RAID with EUFI worked best. I was not able to locate all of the drivers for XP and XTU does not run under XP.

Nvidia GTX 770M:
    Removing the discrete graphics card (Nvidia 770M) gained me 2 bclk, I went from 102 to 104 bclk. Be sure to tape off the GPU side of the blower fan or your cpu will overheat. On the GPU the heat sink is connected by TIM pads on the memory and thermal paste on the GPU itself. The paste comes off in large chunks. Afterburner allows +135Mhz on GPU and 1000Mhz on memory, if you have cold blasting you should get +135Mhz on GPU +400Mhz on memory without volt mods

Afterburner:
    Afterburner works with the 770M but it caused two problems, one was after AB install it rebooted into black screen with only mouse visible when moved. (unload AB, reload nv driver)
    The second problem was with PCMark 7 itself, it never ran again coughing up a full page of error, reloading and removing directory didn't help.
    Side note: right click application and run with "Nvidia" or it defaults to HD 4600

Heat Sink Compounds:
    I have tested a multitude of heat sink compounds over the past few days and Nano Diamond is the best. I have at 20 tubes ranging from chills, silvers, and ceramics. I spent a lot of time testing each on running multithreaded benchmarks. Nano was superior in idle and loaded temps. This machine took a beating in multithreaded benchmarks with the heat pipe configuration.

Overclocking XTU:
    How I wish I was able to disable Hyperthreading. This is main utility for this platform, there is no other way to adjust bclk and memory inside BIOS so this utility is only working application for Win 7 and Win 8 only. I have not tried Vista or server 2008.
    Under the CPU tab we have a few adjustments, PEG/DMI ratio does not work and resetting BIOS is the only answer. I tried lowering memory ratio and blck, nothing worked for me.

This is the memory tab, I am running custom settings with tighter C9 timings. If you adjust any CPU slider it will not require reboot, if you touch any memory option it will require reboot.
    So have your profiles set accordingly or reboot a lot.

Benchmarks:
    http://www.hwbot.org/hardware/proces...core_i7_4700mq
    It started out with George (l0ud_Silence) asking me to help the hwbot team with a laptop submission and progressed from there.

Achievement Locked!

Update!

Thanks Eddie Vong of CyberPower
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 03-24-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Administrator
    Very nice Charles !

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    ^Laptop oc is so much harder than it seems.

Killer results, Charles especially the 32M for the CC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Great results Charles, I am looking forward to getting my 4770MQ based GT60 3k notebook this week and throwing some tests at it. I am trying to score some good custom BIOS files to unlock a lot more options than the standard MSI ones have. I hope to throw in 3x Mushkin Atlas MSATA SSDs in RAID 0 as well as 32GB of CAS 9 1600 RAM down the line and unlock the 780m as well. It took a bit of work to get my 680m in the MSI GT60 0NE-249US/403US to get set with unlocked overvolted firmware for the 680m. Now I can do over 1050/1150 just fine

I am finishing up the next section on UEFI bios modification and location of registers.

Most people don't know that UEFI current bios allow for command line control of registers, booting off a USB stick you can talk directly to the bios.

I will also link the tools used
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 12-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

How did the bios turn out? wondering just how many OC options there were that you were able to reveal. I hope you can help me with mine when the GT60 3K comes in :p

Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Woah - Nice! What was the temp?

Administrator
    WOW 5g's on a laptop, nice going Charles !!

NooB MOD
    Please please please LN2 it now
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Nvidia GTX 770M:
    Removing the discrete graphics card (Nvidia 770M) gained me 2 bclk, I went from 102 to 104 bclk.
    With my 7970m I disabled PCI-E 3.0 (my sig is outdated) which also gained me 2 BCLK. 3.0 doesn't make a difference without SLI so no harm done. You should be able to do this as well without having to pull the card. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do this with Nvidia, with AMD I did it in the video driver registry settings. Maybe doing the reverse of this will work: http://forums.evga.com/How-to-enable...-m2063059.aspx

And how did you get such high CPU clocks? Did you do any motherboard mods? I've swapped out FETs and added caps for only very minor gains.

Sorry to reply so late. I just saw this thread linked in another thread.
    Clevo P150EM
    2920xm ES @4.35GHz
    680m @954/4620, 1V
    840 Pro 256GB
    8GB 1866mhz CAS10 G.Skill

Khenglish,

I am using a modified AC unit to blast cold air into the back of the laptop with panel removed exposing the CPU and sinks.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID