Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Canucks A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

Xtreme Enthusiast

Hardware Canucks A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

SKYMTL is addicted to G-SYNC and thinks it's awesome, too bad Nvidia wont sell me one unless I go green
    Actually I''m just lil kidding, my next monitor upgrade is going to be 50 inch 4K UHD. I copied the text at OCN forum since at HardwareCanucks it's for members only, anyway here is the original source. My second G-SYNC thread, hopefully this one goes better, but I can always try 3rd time when the full review gets published.

Edit: The source link is now open without registration and much more info.

Unfortunately the widespread release of G-SYNC will only be in Q1 2014 but an early alpha-stage prototype monitor did land on my doorstep last week and, as you can tell by the near lack of content on Hardware Canucks since then, it has ruined my productivity. Simply put, I'm addicted.

G-SYNC?s Current Limitations Explained

While G-SYNC may look like a cure-all for many of the glaring shortcomings in the display market, it isn?t infallible and it can?t rectify every issue. Stuttering will continue to rear its ugly head when games load textures or when a system storage device becomes a bottleneck. In addition, blur still occurs and detracts from the overall experience despite G-SYNC?s improvements in other areas.

With input lag all but eliminated from the display side of the equation, according to NVIDIA you?ll need a suitably high end gaming mouse with an extreme polling interval to take full advantage of what G-SYNC offers. I didn?t notice anything more than the usual improvements in response time and accuracy when moving from an MX510 to a G9x but professional gamers (I?m certainly not one of those) may say otherwise since the screen?s response time has been significantly reduced.

There are some additional limitations as well. While it can be used with an SLI system, G-SYNC can?t operate in Windowed Mode, doesn?t currently support NVIDIA?s Surround multi monitor technology and will only be available through a DisplayPort interface. Don?t expect any external G-SYNC adapters either since existing monitor scalers can?t be adapted to work with the technology, nor can they be bypassed via an external hub. As you might expect, the technology is only compatible with NVIDIA?s Kepler-based cards but due to the its unique nature, I?m sure we can all understand why this needs to be held close to their chests.

. . .

Until our full review is published early next year, I can safely say that after a week of using G-SYNC, there?s really only one word to sum up my experience thus far: awesome.
    Last edited by Heinz68; 12-12-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Guru
    So will monitors come pre-installed with the G-SYNC chipset or is this something you can purchase and drop into any panel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    So will monitors come pre-installed with the G-SYNC chipset or is this something you can purchase and drop into any panel?
    I hope you can purchase it and add to any panel if not then it will flop. All users with high end screens will not just go and buy a new screen for g-sync.
    Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz
    Asus P8Z77-V
    8GB Crucial 1866Mhz CL9
    AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB
    2x WD Raptor X
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX
    NEC LCD2690WUXi
    Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver
    Monitor Audio Vector 5.1

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    You can't apply it to any panel. Each display has to be tuned properly and that costs research and development. That was the explanation I got from a smaller company that is willing to publicly talk about this.

http://overlordforum.com/topic/603-n...g-sync/?p=6702

It will take some time to get G-Sync expanded out even beyond the ASUS unit.

There are several issues here - one is that each G-Sync module must be tuned to the specific panel and PCBs used for that panel. As of now, the OEM makers - ASUS, BENQ, etc have the tech from Nvidia and are implementing them the best way they see fit (read: in whatever way makes them the most money). This goes to my point that people claiming exclusivity have no idea what they are talking about. The tech has been released to OEM makers already. The second issue is that of development. Since the tech must be tuned for each application it means it will take time for the modules to make their way into a bunch of different panel formats since R&D and production is pricey.

We here at Overlord are small potatoes and have not been given such worldly access to the OEM specs for G-Sync. We couldn't do much with it anyway since we don't have a large R&D department to make custom PCBs with the modules properly tuned to our panel (IPS) and TCONs.

After a conversation with Nvidia last week the whole expansion to IPS - and more importantly as far as we here at Overlord are concerned - to IPS/1440 panels is in the works. I am waiting to hear back on where in the R&D timeline the 1440/IPS G-Sync module is. Until then I continue to hammer home with Nvidia that the holy grail, short of a real 4k at 60hz or above, not the hybrids out now, is a 1440/120Hz selectable/G-Sync model. TN at 1080 is ok if you run 3 panels, but a single panel? Please. With GPUs ramping up each quarter it seems, soon 3 x 1440/120/GSYNC will be attainable and price effective compared to the upcoming 4K models.

Bottom line I think people don't understand that you cannot take the module and just plug it into a different setup. The module must be engineered to each specific application making it more time consuming and ultimately more expensive.

I am Xtreme
    There will be a DIY addon card available for existing Asus VG248QE displays. No other existing displays will work. But come 2014 there will be a lot of manufacturers that will be offering GSYNC versions of their displays. Probably for about $100 more.

Xtreme Addict
    The question is are we ready to go back from a 27" 2560x1440 PLS/IPS panel ( why not a Qnix PLS OC to 120hz ) or a 30" Dell U30h14 ( 3ms total input lag in "game mode" ( signal processing is completely overrided, so only response pixel is left ).. to a 24-27" 1080p TN with G-sync.. Lets hope some brand can adapt them to other panels
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    I am looking forward to some 27+" screens that support G-Sync, 120+Hz, & 1440p+ I picked up a few of those HAnns.G 28" screens a while back and cant go smaller.
    [Intel core i7 4820K..........Asus Rampage IV Black Edition] LAN Parties attended:
    [512GB Samsung 840 PRO 512GB......2xWD Black 7200 2TB RAID0] FITES [fites.net] 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
    [32GB G.Skill DDR3 2400 4x8GB....2xEVGA GTX780ti Classified] L'Pane NorEaster [lpane.net] 2010, 2009, 2008
    [Corsair 900D.......Primochill CTR 250......Corsair AX1200i] Quakecon [quakecon.org] 2010, 2009
    [MCP35x2.........Swiftech Apogee HD......Swiftech MCR420-XP] PAX East [east.paxsite.com] 2012

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
    You can't apply it to any panel. Each display has to be tuned properly and that costs research and development. That was the explanation I got from a smaller company that is willing to publicly talk about this.

http://overlordforum.com/topic/603-n...g-sync/?p=6702
    Thanks a lot buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    There will be a DIY addon card available for existing Asus VG248QE displays. No other existing displays will work. But come 2014 there will be a lot of manufacturers that will be offering GSYNC versions of their displays. Probably for about $100 more.
    I thought that was supposed to be available before the end of the year. At least according to the first anandtech article.

Visitor
    I read a German preview where they said it's not that big of a difference when you have a setup that pushes very high frame rates, no VSync, in combination with a 120/144Hz monitor. They also mentioned when frame rates exceed your maximum screen refresh rate, the situation would be similar to running with VSync enabled. Buffering will occur and the screen will only refresh after the next complete frame. It appears that G-Sync probably is an improvement when you're running "common" 50-80 FPS in a given game. For people with very high-end setups, the advantages aren't quite as clear. There will be a trade off between visuals and additional input latency of 6-8ms or higher.

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like a long shot by Nvidia, this technology will have to significantly improve and become cheaper + more flexible before it is widely adopted.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    I thought that was supposed to be available before the end of the year. At least according to the first anandtech article.
    It has always been Q1 '14.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Considering I just upgraded from my circa 2006 Viewsonic VX2022W to a dell u2412 within the last few months we'll see if this is still even around when I'm due for my next monitor in ~2019

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    I read a German preview where they said it's not that big of a difference when you have a setup that pushes very high frame rates, no VSync, in combination with a 120/144Hz monitor. They also mentioned when frame rates exceed your maximum screen refresh rate, the situation would be similar to running with VSync enabled. Buffering will occur and the screen will only refresh after the next complete frame. It appears that G-Sync probably is an improvement when you're running "common" 50-80 FPS in a given game. For people with very high-end setups, the advantages aren't quite as clear. There will be a trade off between visuals and additional input latency of 6-8ms or higher.
    thats why i never bother with such solutions...

for me -> try to get constatly above 60fps and then limit fps to 60. Sadly not all engines allow for an fps max limit.

c[_]
    And what happens when we move beyond current gen LCD's?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Well its love or hate type of tech some will love it others will hate on it.
    Personally my self i have been running IPS and TN 120hz screen, switching between them i always go back to 120hz, G-Sync sounds awesome and cant wait to get it on fast 144hz panel.
    And one day we will have it all IPS,high res and G-Sync type of tech.
    Progress is good even if it is proprietary.
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Member
    I think this is a step in the right direction. So sick of screen tearing for FPS, buy Vsync is not an option for games like BF4.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    It has always been Q1 '14.
    The first native G-Sync enabled monitors won't show up until Q1 next year, however NVIDIA will be releasing the G-Sync board for modding before the end of this year.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/n...via-smoothness

Xtreme Member
    It was about time, the PhysX cards felt lonely already.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    And what happens when we move beyond current gen LCD's?
    Well one company is working on that solution for everybody, fixing the inherent flaws with current LCD tech.
    The other is worried about selling you an add-on and ignoring the root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Sorry misread what you had quoted.
    Yeah, they definitely flopped on that. Current interviews are saying they aren't focusing on selling the board but getting monitors out.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    While this is true the Gsync module has the ability to cater to people who can maintain 100+ FPS. Gsync can be used in 3 modes, gsync, 3d vision and low persistence.

Low persistence is Nvidia's official support for Lightboost with improvements over the original implementation.

Speculating on it, I expect colors won't be biased towards reds which everyone has to work around now but I don't know how else they could massively improve on it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Yeah, they definitely flopped on that. Current interviews are saying they aren't focusing on selling the board but getting monitors out.
    Thats disappointing, hopefully they haven't changed their minds on selling that board.

Xtreme Member
    Well one company is working on that solution for everybody, fixing the inherent flaws with current LCD tech.
    The other is worried about selling you an add-on and ignoring the root cause.

I thought the flaws are with LCD technology and not with the graphics cards or drivers, so if you are referring to Mantle, then this would seem unlikely to have an affect on this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    I thought the flaws are with LCD technology and not with the graphics cards or drivers, so if you are referring to Mantle, then this would seem unlikely to have an affect on this.
    I think he might be referring to this
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    I think he might be referring to this
    Thanks for that. He statement had no links to anything.

It will be interesting to see what AMD's answer is to this. But again if the LCD display is the issue, than what will be their answer to it.
    Last edited by MaddMuppet; 12-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast