Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Maxwell for soon ? Yes and no - Hardware.fr

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    So someone claiming THEY KNOW what and where is just pulling his info out their bumhole.
    I don't know if sites like extremetech.com are showing fake graphics or not but before reading this whole thread, that's where I saw the AMD Out-of-stock/Mining relation first and it looked like a good theory for me:
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...adeon-shortage

But "nobody can know how much AMD Gpus are being bought for the sole purpose of mining": I agree. There is no exact science to prove all this... It's a theory.

/peace
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / i7 3770k @4.5GHz / 8GB Samsung Green Series 30nm @2133MHz / Phanteks PH-TC14PE / Asus GTX Titan @1.1GHz / Corsair AX1200 / Audio-gd 11.32 Dac-Amp & Audeze LCD-2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LostHawk View Post
    I don't know if sites like extremetech.com are showing fake graphics or not but before reading this whole thread, that's where I saw the AMD Out-of-stock/Mining relation first and it looked like a good theory for me:
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...adeon-shortage

But "nobody can know how much AMD Gpus are being bought for the sole purpose of mining": I agree. There is no exact science to prove all this... It's a theory.

/peace
    Just to give some perspective, from 4days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by smunter6
    Here's some numbers for you then. Data from litecoinpool.org and litecoin.info. Since Nov. 28, which is about when the price of Litecoin spiked, the total network hashrate has gone from about 45 GH/sec to about 90 GH/s. Given that an average 280X can run about 650-700 kH/s and the 290 runs about 800 kH/s, that's an increase in installed capacity of about 55,000 290's.
    Litecoin network is at 103GH/s now.
    And who is to say that some miners don't overlap into the gaming category?
    Last edited by LordEC911; 12-16-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    This is a Maxwell thread people.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    This is a Maxwell thread people.
    I take it you didn't actually read the first post claiming that Nvidia didn't have to release Maxwell because the 700 series was selling so well vs the R9, no mention was made of Nvidia not wanting to use Risk wafers because of wafer prices and yields.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    I take it you didn't actually read the first post claiming that Nvidia didn't have to release Maxwell because the 700 series was selling so well vs the R9, no mention was made of Nvidia not wanting to use Risk wafers because of wafer prices and yields.
    I agree with Tim, even if that's true we should keep this discussion about Maxwell, regardless of whether the original post showed bias. A bit of self policing goes a long way towards a news section that is truly just news
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    The original post has no bias at all. Hardware.fr is a respected and fair site. If you're not agree, DWI.

Now, Maxwell talk only on this thread. Thanks all.
    Last edited by Olivon; 12-16-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Would have worked much better if the OP was about Maxwell only. See you later, next talk when Maxwell is ready.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Member
    i have seen this week working maxwell es sample card, desktop card with higher mainstream chip. Launch is relatively soon, sooner then everyone expected, including me.

As i said many months ago here, first maxwell is 28nm, has better performance then kepler, BUT not too much. Most important INITIAL 28NM maxwell thing is power consumption a efficiency.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    i have seen this week working maxwell es sample card, desktop card with higher mainstream chip. Launch is relatively soon, sooner then everyone expected, including me.

As i said many months ago here, first maxwell is 28nm, has better performance then kepler, BUT not too much. Most important INITIAL 28NM maxwell thing is power consumption a efficiency.
    TY i missed your previous explanation on this. Now my expectations about 28nm Maxwell's are on track again.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Mentor

You mean GM104 ? What about die size ?

Xtreme Addict

Interesting, thanks for this info.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    Would have worked much better if the OP was about Maxwell only. See you later, next talk when Maxwell is ready.
    Maxwell is ready.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Member
    of course IS ready, first QS ES boards were ready and fully working this SUMMER! Now we are in pre mass production phase.

Xtreme Addict

Still February, or even earlier?

of course IS ready, first QS ES boards were ready and fully working this SUMMER! Now we are in pre mass production phase.
    Exactly, it seems some people find it hard to believe.
    Last edited by Tim; 12-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Member

Do you know the number of CCs, clock speeds, and memory bus width?
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    Will the 9000 series will be named Pen Island?
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    GTX 650 Ti Ghz edition?

I am Xtreme
    Maxwell is ready.
    What flavor exactly? Something like GM104 that is barely faster than GK110? If so, honestly not too exciting...

And I am pretty sure the real, "big" Maxwell is not ready yet.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    What flavor exactly? Something like GM104 that is barely faster than GK110? If so, honestly not too exciting...

Yet if it is better ocing or performs better at 4k or cheaper than 780ti by a good amount then it is exciting enough. Plus if it works nicely at 28nm.... can't wait to see what a full chip at 20 could do then.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Yet if it is better ocing or performs better at 4k or cheaper than 780ti by a good amount then it is exciting enough. Plus if it works nicely at 28nm.... can't wait to see what a full chip at 20 could do then.
    I am predicting something a little more boring. 2304 shaders with performance somewhere around 30-40% better than a gtx 770 at around a die size around hawaii.

Being efficient with the die usage, i think they can pack the same performance as a gtx SLI 760 performance - 10% for lower clocks, similar to how AMD packed the performance of 7870 CF onto a 290x.

It depends how much efficiency the new architecture buy them for the power envelope.

I suspect it's going to be slower than 290x when the 290x is in uber mode but more power efficient and with better overclocking headroom. Nvidia is probably going to underclock again to leave gtx 780 ti owners happy.

I suspect its probably cheaper to make a 450mm2 chip on 28nm for nvidia, than a 20nm 300mm2 chip, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a big gm104 at 28nm.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 12-17-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, I picture a large 28nm gm104. Guess we'll know soon, your speculation is almost definitely closer to what we'll see. I just am playing the blind optimist :P. Although if priced right it could still be interesting if efficiency is good enough to provide high clocks and/or oc ability as I was saying. I had the same idea on cost for 20nm...
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 12-17-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Xtreme Addict

It doesn't have to be much faster, it just has to be faster then 780Ti, as far as I'm aware AMD doesn't have anything until 20nm? That's a long time. When mid range Maxwell on 28nm beats 780Ti with less power consumption and higher efficiency, it's exciting all right.

Obviously it's not a big Maxwell, we won't see that until 20nm I bet.
    Last edited by Tim; 12-18-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Member
    If my memory serves me right AMD has always had the upper hand when it comes to power efficiency, but now things have changed. I wonder how AMD is going to make GCN based chips more efficient when we now have the second generation and they have as ty efficiency as the previous one. I hope AMD can make GCN less power hungry so the competition would tighten even more.

Xtreme Member
    It doesn't have to be much faster, it just has to be faster then 780Ti, as far as I'm aware
    Well it doesn't have to be faster than the 780 Ti. Since that was released last month I guess that any Q1 2014 Maxwell would be slightly over 780-level performance at most.
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    Will the 9000 series will be named Pen Island?
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    GTX 650 Ti Ghz edition?

Xtreme Member

of course, because 20nm proces is not ready yet

Xtreme Addict
    of course, because 20nm proces is not ready yet
    Any idea of the size increase over gk104?
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Quote Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post
    Do you know the number of CCs, clock speeds, and memory bus width?
    That is too much to ask at this stage.

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.4Ghz (Zalman CNPS9700 LED)
    Corsair Twin2X4096-6400C4DHX @ DDR2-1066
    RIP GeForce 9800 GX2 715/1720/1050
    2 x 500GB WD Caviar SE (RAID 0)
    Corsair HX-620W
    ACER P243WAID 1920 x 1200

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast