Thread: hello

Xtreme Cruncher

hello

Sup? Hope everyone is well.

Thinking about putting a 660Ti and GTX460 back on the grid. What is the current stability of things? I looked on the project forums and did not see anything that looked other than normal crunching problems. Still have multiple work unit types? Large and small? Linux and Windows equal for performance? How much CPU is used?

Saw something about a sub forum but I do not see it? Why no love?

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 12-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Linux those diseases
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Sup? Hope everyone is well.

Thinking about putting a 660Ti and GTX460 back on the grid. great news What is the current stability of things? Apparent issue with WIndows7 driver reset loop after a power failure I looked on the project forums and did not see anything that looked other than normal crunching problems. Still have multiple work unit types? Yes Large and small? YesLinux and Windows equal for performance? pretty muchHow much CPU is used? 600 series & above uses a full thread

Saw something about a sub forum but I do not see it? Why no love?
    It's on the GPUgrid forum. You can see XS on the forum home page if you have points.

We need help to get back to #1 RAC

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have set the number of CPUs to use at WCG at 5 out of six and 80%.

On multiprocessors, at most use: 5 processors
    On multiprocessors, use: 80% of processors
    Yet it still uses 6. Restarted Boinc, using 7.2.33

While GPUGrid is getting full usage of 1 CPU as per Task Manager and BoincTasks I would prefer to have WCG use only 5. Event log shows correct Location. Nothing in cc_config or app_config to conflict.

Windows Vista 64, Boinc 7.2.33 Nvidia driver 320.49

Should I do a cc_config to do it? I have had limited success with that and E@H, my settings usually ignored, even after reboots and restarts and waiting 24 hours.

Would my GXT 460s be better on short or OK for long?

Turn around still 2 days?

Where the $%&@ is Otis?? Otis!! I am coming for you!!!

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 12-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Linux those diseases
    WIndows Vista! ....I had you down as a 100% Unix guy Are the 460's stock? If so they will struggle on long tasks to get done in 24hrs so as to get the bonus, but still better than the short tasks. Try with min cache settings like 0.05.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneageman View Post
    WIndows Vista! ....I had you down as a 100% Unix guy Are the 460's stock? If so they will struggle on long tasks to get done in 24hrs so as to get the bonus, but still better than the short tasks. Try with min cache settings like 0.05.
    I play several MMO's, Skyrim and a few other games. Plus my daughter and her husband PCs are Vista as they also play games, MMOs. Yes some run under wine. I did not get a 660Ti to play under DX 9.

Have been using Mint a lot on a desktop and laptop, on laptop now, and really like it. If Steam accomplishes what it says they want to accomplish I will gladly leave Windows behind. AM still on Vista because it does fine for the games and I am not anxious to give Mico$oft anymore money.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 12-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So poking around GPUGrid forums I find this Memory Sucking Monsters and evidently no way to not get them if you choose long work units.....

So a dedicated GTX460 looks like on shorts it might get 60-80k a day and on longs, not Noelia's, would get about 140k a day, a dedicated cruncher. But NOELIA's need more than 1 gig GPU memory...

If these memory hogs effect the dekstop use I am gone again. And for the same reason.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    So poking around GPUGrid forums I find this Memory Sucking Monsters and evidently no way to not get them if you choose long work units.....

So a dedicated GTX460 looks like on shorts it might get 60-80k a day and on longs, not Noelia's, would get about 140k a day, a dedicated cruncher. But NOELIA's need more than 1 gig GPU memory...

If these memory hogs effect the dekstop use I am gone again. And for the same reason.
    I got 1 460 doing shorts only: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...ps3&name=31797

Was doing the longs until about a month ago I started having trouble with it. Switched to shorts only and hasn't had an issue since!

Silly Coyote... chase all you want, but in the end, you'll never hold on!

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???