Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AMD: "FX is Not EOL" & Why What We Need in a CPU is Changing

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    yes, we already know it here, we have before us many ty Vishera FX for next year.
    Vishera / AM3r2 were your words, not mine
    Last edited by The Stilt; 12-25-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    yes, we already know it here, we have before us many ty Vishera FX for next year.
    Dudes, you obviously know whats up.So, can we even expect a new revision of vishera ?
    Damn i would even go for a new rev ...
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Damn i would even go for a new rev ...
    I don't know what you're expecting from such a thing...
    What are you gonna use an extra 100mhz for ?

Eh maybe they'll improve there nb clocking...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    I don't know what you're expecting from such a thing...
    What are you gonna use an extra 100mhz for ?

Eh maybe they'll improve there nb clocking...
    Well it depends, revision changes can be about 100mhz higher clocks, can be about getting power in control (which in case of a FX would give you more realistic mhz wise).
    Tbred-A vs Tbred-B was ASTOUNDING difference, my A clocked BARELY 1900mhz, and B was clockin 2400Mhz without much sweat,and i was doing almost 3ghz on 2500+M with winter cooling, 2.5ghz air no sweat.
    Then theres My phenom 910 vs Thubans ,+2cores and +600Mhz ...

However, my sample of PD is weak already so even a modest revision bump could yield me 500Mhz , thats of course theory.Day to day i run this 8320 at 4.0, because higher than that power gets out of control.And yea, NB clocks with maximum stability beyond 2400mhz are tricky also.

I know its pretty pathetic, however if i COULD buy such a thing, i WOULD.And thats that.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Member
    From a budget perspective, FM2 CPUs just don't make sense (And I resent them calling their CPUs APUs)... A budget 1150 board goes for the same price as an FM2 board, and Ivy Bridge/Haswell Pentiums are superior or equivalent to their FM2 counterparts... Up until recently, AMD had no unified driver for FMx platforms (And even now they warn that their unified drivers might not work for all boards) necessitating downloading often outdated drivers from motherboard manufacturers websites. Conversely, Intel chipset drivers have always been unified and clearly labeled (Whereas with AMD, you never knew what exactly you were downloadign and what it was for) and of superb quality.

For the enthusiast market... AMD has slain the goose that laid golden eggs for them so many times already that they will never regain that market... AMD has contracts with both Microsoft and Sony... As soon as Sony discontinues producing gaming consoles (Xbox 720 is clearly far superior to the PS4), Microsoft will dump AMD in order to destroy them, then salvage their assets to increase their monopoly... Whatever they don't need will be sold off, and whatever remains of AMD will be equivalent to semi-defunct companies like VIA who sell inexpensive ICs to the tune of a thousand for a dollar.

In summary, AMD is a lousy company that eats its own... So far, they've been able to get away with it only because of the incompetencies of their competition (Intel with Pentium 4 and nVidia with bumpgate). But their competition has learned from their mistakes and are out for blood... nVidia now has gSync and I haven't heard of AMD planning to offer any competing technology...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
    As soon as Sony discontinues producing gaming consoles (Xbox 720 is clearly far superior to the PS4), Microsoft will dump AMD in order to destroy them, then salvage their assets to increase their monopoly... Whatever they don't need will be sold off, and whatever remains of AMD will be equivalent to semi-defunct companies like VIA who sell inexpensive ICs to the tune of a thousand for a dollar.
    You completely lost me at that point...

<snip>
    Did somebody have a lousy Christmas or something? Geez where did you come up with all this...this... heck I don't even know what to call it
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member

Did someone mix-up XMAS with April Fool's? Cause April first is about 127 days away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think someone's pet has been run over by one of AMD's employee car recently , that has to be the logical explanation for that kinda outburst, lol.
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

The Xbox "One" ,not 720, from a technical standpoint is nowhere near superior to the playstation 4. Maybe you Typo'd and mean to say that the playstation 4 is superior to the Xbox one when it comes to hardware considering its GPU is 50% more powerful. I guess none of that will matter later on when they really start figuring out how to utilize the architechture better... oh wait thats when it will matter the most. Interesting to suggest that sony will discontinue their console effort considering the PS4 launch was the largest console launch in history smashing threw christmas outselling the Xbox one almost 2-1
    http://mobile.extremetech.com/gaming...-almost-2-to-1

Im not even going to get started on how simlarly priced 1155/1150 processors fair against their FM2 counterparts in graphics performance.....
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    The Xbox "One" ,not 720, from a technical standpoint is nowhere near superior to the playstation 4.
    I find it inconvenient to call it Xbox One since that could be confused with the original Xbox. I think therefore that it is an extremely stupid name and the fool who came up with it should be fired.
    Maybe you Typo'd and mean to say that the playstation 4 is superior to the Xbox one when it comes to hardware considering its GPU is 50% more powerful. I guess none of that will matter later on when they really start figuring out how to utilize the architechture better... oh wait thats when it will matter the most. Interesting to suggest that sony will discontinue their console effort considering the PS4 launch was the largest console launch in history smashing threw christmas outselling the Xbox one almost 2-1
    http://mobile.extremetech.com/gaming...-almost-2-to-1
    Since the Microsoft GPU is custom, you don't actually know that it only has half the shaders of the PS4's Jaguar chip.
    Im not even going to get started on how simlarly priced 1155/1150 processors fair against their FM2 counterparts in graphics performance.....
    Irelevant to those who are purchasing a budget system in the first place... If for some reason low-end Haswell graphics isn't enough for them (And it most certainly is still very powerful), they can spend a relatively small amount on an inexpensive videocard that would crush both Haswell _and_ integrated HD6xxx/HD7xxx.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I find it inconvenient to call it Xbox One since that could be confused with the original Xbox. I think therefore that it is an extremely stupid name and the fool who came up with it should be fired.

Since the Microsoft GPU is custom, you don't actually know that it only has half the shaders of the PS4's Jaguar chip.

Irelevant to those who are purchasing a budget system in the first place... If for some reason low-end Haswell graphics isn't enough for them (And it most certainly is still very powerful), they can spend a relatively small amount on an inexpensive videocard that would crush both Haswell _and_ integrated HD6xxx/HD7xxx.
    So,youre one of those people.That even when theyre wrong, still go at it.
    Both chips are custom dude, that doesnt mean we dont know the specs.We do.Both parties released the data.PS4 has more shaders and has faster memory(much faster).Xbox one (and yea its called that ,even if you dont acknowledge that fact) has a specialized cache.All in all developers are pretty much saying PS4 is more powerfull GFX wise.
    The FACT is you for some unknown reason wanted to spill some hate, all pretty much based on your emotions and delusions.
    FACTS:
    1)PS4 has a more powerful GPU
    2)Xbox one is called ONE not 720
    3)AMD APU`s or CPU`s whatever you want to call them, have more powerful GPU`s

And yea, buying fast intel with dedicated GFX will be faster than an APU or Intel igpu.DUH.But it isnt always feasible fo cost reasons, for platform reasons, size etc.

Both your posts show some impressive ignorance and arrogance at the same time!You are the whole package .

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/22/5...wii-u-compared
    That all seems to be giving Sony's console the graphical edge for now. In real world terms, that's mainly boiling down to a matter of resolution: one of the consoles' biggest launch titles, Call of Duty: Ghosts, is running at 1080p on the PS4, but only 720p on the Xbox One. I
    Not only that.PS4 sells more units:
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/09/ps4-...month-pachter/

Im no console lover, TBH i hate both because of the way they both treat customers.HOWEVER, sony treats them somewhat better and was the main reason MS HAD TO drop theyre own draconian DRM systems (to some degree).

So yea.Sony is losing ,AMD is losing on this (they only landed all 3 major consoles...) .And all is well.

Xtreme Guru
    good lord people... really? LONG LIVE AM3+
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    So,youre one of those people.That even when theyre wrong, still go at it.
    Both chips are custom dude, that doesnt mean we dont know the specs.We do.Both parties released the data.PS4 has more shaders and has faster memory(much faster).Xbox one (and yea its called that ,even if you dont acknowledge that fact) has a specialized cache.All in all developers are pretty much saying PS4 is more powerfull GFX wise.
    Since when are software developers privy to the internals of hardware architectures... We still don't even have pinouts for CPUs released several years ago. What makes you think Microsoft is going to spill the beans on their hardware, especially since they build their consoles by themselves and you can bet that any outside parties involved in the process has NDAs up the wazoo. Let's face it, Microsoft is not so stupid as to build a console with half the speed of Sony's. Think about it for a minute.
    The FACT is you for some unknown reason wanted to spill some hate, all pretty much based on your emotions and delusions.
    FACTS:
    1)PS4 has a more powerful GPU
    2)Xbox one is called ONE not 720
    3)AMD APU`s or CPU`s whatever you want to call them, have more powerful GPU`s
    1) You don't really know that
    2) With all due respect, I'll call it what I choose.
    3) Yes, exponentially. But is it a wise business decision to assume that average people are going to sacrifice on-chip cache for something they don't need? Equivalently priced Ivy Bridge/Haswell Pentiums have more cache. So, in a business environment, is it worth it to sacrifice necessary cache for speedier graphics? I think not.
    Im no console lover, TBH i hate both because of the way they both treat customers.HOWEVER, sony treats them somewhat better and was the main reason MS HAD TO drop theyre own draconian DRM systems (to some degree).
    You're forgetting one thing: Xbox 360 was (and still is) easily hackable to allow bootlegs to be played, and to be played online. This isn't by accident. Anyone who thinks Microsoft is opposed to it is uninformed. In reality, Microsoft is a far wealthier corporation than Sony and that's why they run a business model where paying users effectively subsidize the bootleggers. And even the bootleggers have to pay for Live service. Sony is a Japanese corporation. They have a lot less capital than Microsoft and can't afford to subsidize parasites. PS3 still hasn't been hacked until this day for this reason. And if you doubt this hypothesis, consider that it is now being revealed that satellite providers also 'allowed' their systems to be hacked so-to-speak in orther so that they could gain subscribers. Just like satellite television, Microsoft will allow this to continue, perhaps even with their present-day console, and then effect brutal copy-protection mechanisms to thwart the bootleggers.
    So yea.Sony is losing ,AMD is losing on this (they only landed all 3 major consoles...) .And all is well.
    He who remembers the past understands the future. AMD has always had poor foresight. They've fallen behind and have been forced to enter niche markets to feed their corporate bloat. This is only an intermmediate stage in a long attrition. They will fall.

AMD PII 555be @ x4 3.2
    Asrock 890GX Extreme 3
    Ocz Black edition 7-7-7-24
    Prolimatech Megahalems w/ Gentle Typhoon
    Samsung 1920x1200 LCD
    CM HAF922 Limited Red
    OCZ Agility 3 120gb
    Samsung F3 1tb
    Asus GTX460 1gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    3) Yes, exponentially. But is it a wise business decision to assume that average people are going to sacrifice on-chip cache for something they don't need? Equivalently priced Ivy Bridge/Haswell Pentiums have more cache. So, in a business environment, is it worth it to sacrifice necessary cache for speedier graphics? I think not.

From all the better reasons to get Intel low end offerings compared to AMD ones (such as power characteristic, battery life, better resale value, higher single thread performance, etc), you have to pick on chip cache amount ? CACHE ?? Are you serious ? ......
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

please guys ignore and do not reply to people's rant. Read up what ever is written and let us assume that the writer had a bad day or is smoking some weird stuff while posting. He won the aguement by pulling in replies to the post, which is his sole aim and I have to give the poster some credits for the fit he pulled off.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    From all the better reasons to get Intel low end offerings compared to AMD ones (such as power characteristic, battery life, better resale value, higher single thread performance, etc), you have to pick on chip cache amount ? CACHE ?? Are you serious ? ......
    Not to mention cache amount comparisons on totally different architectures is quite useless

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker003 View Post
    please guys ignore and do not reply to people's rant. Read up what ever is written and let us assume that the writer had a bad day or is smoking some weird stuff while posting. He won the aguement by pulling in replies to the post, which is his sole aim and I have to give the poster some credits for the fit he pulled off.
    Good point.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    FX excavator chips in Q4 of 2014... all new socket/chipset/ddr4 and 14nm finfet

:-) i can dream cant I
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    FX excavator chips in Q4 of 2014... all new socket/chipset/ddr4 and 14nm finfet

:-) i can dream cant I
    14nm tech process is impossible. DDR4 support is highly unlikely (and makes no sense if you think about it).

AMD themselves said that they were abandoning high-end sector, you just have to accept this.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Do you know why I love AMD?
    A less fortunate friend of mine was running a lower-end HP machine (250w Bestec PSU, Athlon 64 X2, 2GB DDR2-533, low end 700-series chipset)...

Was able to drop in an FX-4130, AM3+ (880G) motherboard, 4 GB DDR3-1333, HD 5550 for all of $140, and without having to change another thing in the system, no need for OS reinstall.

AMD does not seem to have the resources to take care of the AMx socket platform...
    Also with the new hUMA memory controller, AMD would probably be unwise to work on two radically different designs.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 12-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    okay so make an 8 core APU

done

1 platform
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Enthusiast
    maybe x86 is dead? Seems pretty inefficient to me, that requires huge amount of transistors and power for a lot of discrete instructions, most of them already obsolete and barely used.

FM2+ Surely will receive an 8 core w/out APU Steamroller cores or something like that.

Maybe a retro compatible FM3 socket could bring quad Channel DDR3 for us. 256-bit Ram bandwidth will be great for 8-cores Steamroller and APUs purpose also.
    990FXA-UD3 | FX8350@4.7Ghz | Asus HD7870 | 2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2050Mhz 8-8-8-22 | AX850W |SSD Vertex3 Max IOPS 120GB | Auzentech Forte + TAPCO-S5

EK Supreme Full-Gold | XSPC RX240 + EX120 | MCP35x | 3x Koolance Blue Led @PWM | Tygon Black 1/2 | Bitspower Compression | @ FM CM690 I

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Barr3l Rid3r View Post
    maybe x86 is dead? Seems pretty inefficient to me, that requires huge amount of transistors and power for a lot of discrete instructions, most of them already obsolete and barely used.

FM2+ Surely will receive an 8 core w/out APU Steamroller cores or something like that.

Maybe a retro compatible FM3 socket could bring quad Channel DDR3 for us. 256-bit Ram bandwidth will be great for 8-cores Steamroller and APUs purpose also.
    I don't think it's that simple to just overhaul the basic architecture though. Either you'd need to have some sort of translation system for the new architecture to work with the machine code in today's software, or you'd have to literally recompile everything to make it work. Same way Microsoft is taking baby steps with ARM (and it took a very long time at that), you'd basically have to have all the major hardware and software companies get together and develop a new standard for the whole industry to be used well into the future
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234