Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD: "FX is Not EOL" & Why What We Need in a CPU is Changing

Xtreme Addict
    I was reading about 2 new apu's coming out in january, and only just realized that use something called a-link to communicate with the chipset .

Here's my opinion:

They should move some more things onto the cpu from the chipset, make the chipset run on pcie and put it on a card...(or just scrap the chipset all together and use other peoples chips...)
    The chipset taking care of stuff like usb, sata, networking, audio and so on.
    And then getting mp support working on pcie as well(some sort of cfx/mp hybrid, numa/huma whatever), even if it means more lanes (the industry needs to upgrade to more eventually anyways...)
    And then scrapping the vga line for a apu line...
    Making the apu's on cards or on boards(consoles...) there choice whatever lol.

Anyways with that aside , I think when they get the 65w excavator chips out in 2015 or whenever they'll be ok.
    They can't be worth the same amount they were before athlon or even 3dnow(which turned out useless), I mean they gotta be worth more then that.
    So they should be fine, I don't really pay attention to stocks though.

Psssst

The current A-Link is four PCIe Gen2 lanes ...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post

Psssst

The current A-Link is four PCIe Gen2 lanes ...
    Oh my bad then for not looking up how it worked .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    I was just looking at socket g34 on newegg, looks alright but dated.
    Boards obviously not that great...

Has anyone seen any slides or info on upcoming server platforms for amd?
    What I'm thinking is, if people can't find a upgrade solution in mainstream, why not go opty ^^ ?
    (And yeah the g34 chips are outrageously priced..., but lets pretend a moment they're priced $500 and lower lol)

A 12-16 core opty, clocked at 4ghz, 150w tdp... (yeah right), that I'm game for lol.
    Was wondering the same thing.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    Not an AMD man but ran across this re: the slides...figured I'd post it up.

"Last week an alleged slide leak purporting to show AMD’s desktop roadmap appeared and it was quickly picked up by most tech sites. Not us of course, since we knew it was rubbish and we’ve got a couple of inboxes littered with similar fakes....'

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33...g-off-fx-parts
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post

"Last week an alleged slide leak purporting to show AMD?s desktop roadmap appeared and it was quickly picked up by most tech sites. Not us of course, since we knew it was rubbish and we?ve got a couple of inboxes littered with similar fakes....'

Hilarious.AMD essentially pulled the plug a year ago.Theyre still making the old ones but no new products in the foreseeable future means that line for now is dead, they may do something in the distant future but its dead now.
    People have to learn to speak marketing, they will never ever tell anything that puts them in bad light unless they absolutely have to.And of course there are long term roadmaps, they are of course subject to change but everyone ,intel, nvidia and amd have them.Even the marketer from amd didnt say that roadmap was fake, he only said he hasnt seen it, because that COULD be true, even tho it probably isnt, but these kind of lies are acceptable with this kinds of people.A pretty solid proof that no new big core desktops are coming is lack of server ones also, all the talk about server chips from AMD for last year is ARM and HSA.
    And they even claim they released new cpus this year ,and "highest performing ones yet", again, technically true, but reality is they re-released the same exact die, even not a new revision, just overclocked.
    As for fudzilla, last year they claimed that they have spoken with AMD representatives and steamroller AM3+ was definitely coming :-) .In reality i feel sorry for AMD spindoctors because they have to spin really hard and its not their fault :-/.HSA may be the future, but its still a distant one, for now AMD surrendered which is a pity.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post

"Last week an alleged slide leak purporting to show AMD?s desktop roadmap appeared and it was quickly picked up by most tech sites. Not us of course, since we knew it was rubbish and we?ve got a couple of inboxes littered with similar fakes....'

Some folks are confusing things...

Socket AM3+ is EOL Q1 2015. AMD will NOT produce any newer core than Piledriver FX processors for socket AM3+. Piledriver based FX CPUs will be available for socket AM3+ until EOL in Q1, 2015.

The FX name may be retained for other products being released in '15 but they will not be socket AM3+ products.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post

Socket AM3+ is EOL Q1 2015.
    Just curious, but where did you see that info? Did AMD officials state it?
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Just curious, but where did you see that info? Did AMD officials state it?
    Yes - to some folks.

Xtreme Member
    Yes - to some folks.
    Oh. I didn't see that. Where did you see that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Oh. I didn't see that. Where did you see that?
    In behind closed door discussions with industry partners.

Socket AM3+ is EOL Q1 2015. AMD will NOT produce any newer core than Piledriver FX processors for socket AM3+. Piledriver based FX CPUs will be available for socket AM3+ until EOL in Q1, 2015.

The FX name may be retained for other products being released in '15 but they will not be socket AM3+ products.
    That's disappointing. An 8-core Steamroller/Excavator would be no slouch.
    Last edited by jvc; 12-11-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jvc View Post
    That's disappointing. An 8-core Steamroller/Excavator would be no slouch.
    Steamroller FX models were planned all along up till the end of '12 when they vanished from the road maps. Excavator will be on a different socket but Steamroller on AM3+ would have been a money-maker for AMD as their AM3+ installed base numbers millions and the take rate is an incredible 90+ % in numerous PC polls.

Xtreme Mentor
    Seriously I'm lost as to why they wouldn't release an 8core steamroller FX chip.

Sad.
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    Seriously I'm lost as to why they wouldn't release an 8core steamroller FX chip.

Sad.
    Well there are reasons for that decision. And they will be clear once Kaveri launches and is benchmarked... It's better this way than to launch something that will be worse or at best not better than Vishera we have today.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Well there are reasons for that decision. And they will be clear once Kaveri launches and is benchmarked... It's better this way than to launch something that will be worse or at best not better than Vishera we have today.
    Wow thats a change of pace for you ;-) .First time i see you being more pessimistic than my own thoughts on this.Everything points to SR being a nice bump, unless power consumption got even worse.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Member
    In behind closed door discussions with industry partners.
    I didn't know you were "behind closed doors". Seriously. Nice to be able to get inside information like that.

So what is the highend platform coming after the AM3+/FX series and when is it coming? (assuming there is one)

Xtreme Cruncher
    @vario
    It's nice to be optimistic and all but I'd rather just wait for the reviews if I were you .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Steamroller FX models were planned all along up till the end of '12 when they vanished from the road maps. Excavator will be on a different socket but Steamroller on AM3+ would have been a money-maker for AMD as their AM3+ installed base numbers millions and the take rate is an incredible 90+ % in numerous PC polls.

this is a nice piece of information.
    I really hope Excavator for a new socket is competitive....
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme 3D Team
    The world just ended. The sky is falling.
    The colors of the universe just became inverse.
    Smile

Xtreme Legend
    FX is not EOL.
    That's a true statement

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
    FX is not EOL.
    That's a true statement
    Yes theyre still going to make and sell the ones we have already in production :P,or theyre going to make some 4 core APU with FX brand.

Xtreme Member
    huh, you expect SR cores to perform lower than PD cores?

Xtreme Member
    Sad news I was getting high hopes for kaveri.. guess i'll just pick up CH-V Z and keep messing with the 8350. Very sad
    Perhaps another refresh on vishera's for lowering power consumption.. oh maan..
    FX 8370 * Chrosshair V Formula Z * 16GB Kingston 1866 * Sapphire Fury * Samsung 850 Pro * WD Raptor 74Gb * Seagate 2TB * Seagate 1TB * Corsair 1200i * Corsair 800D
    EK Supremacy EVO * EK-FB Crosshair V * EK Coolstream XE 480 + XE 120 * D5 * EK F4-120 * Lamptron FC5 * Masterkleer tubing * EK coolant

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
    FX is not EOL.
    That's a true statement
    yes, we already know it here, we have before us many ty Vishera FX for next year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast