Thread: BuildLog - Cruncher in a case??

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar

BuildLog - Cruncher in a case??

So im finally picking up some cases to go with my crunchers (girlfriends get tired of cardboard crunchers, when you dont have an office)

BUT look what got here today!

Specs :
    Case & PSU - Supermicro CSE-732i-500B
    Motherboard - Supermicro H8DMi-2
    CPU's - 2x AMD Opteron - 2419
    Heatsinks - 2x Dynatron A86g - Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX
    Memory - 6GB DDR2 REG ECC
    Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
    Network Adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN751ND
    Operating System - Ubuntu
    Last edited by NKrader; 12-04-2013 at 08:00 PM.

So it got here and like always supermicro boxes are tough and show up almost perfect.
    opening it up you see the accessories box and power cable (16gauge, suprised me as I was kinda expecting a cheaper one for some reason)

these are easily the smallest ziptie down points ive ever seen LOL.

I was accually suprised at how much they tried to silence this case, the fan screws are rubber, there are these thick rubber parts on the edges of the cdrom and HDD cage, 4pin pwm san ace in the rear that is actually really quiet even at full speed.

not sure about PSU maker seems like a decent PSU with a single 120mm fan instead of silly single or dual 80mm.

Connectors
    -1x 24pin
    -1x 8pin EPS
    -1x 4+4pin EPS
    -6x Sata
    -2x Floppy pwr
    -6x Molex
    -1x 6+2pin PCIEXPRESS
    -1x 6pin PCIEXPRESS

the coolest thing I think about this case is the front panel hookups, if you dont use supermicro board they arent so cool but with this hardware all I did was plug one big plug into mobo and everything works, AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE INSTRUCTIONS. (P.S. you should have included instructions supermicro, tisk tisk..)

Okay, time to fuel up and get this rig together.

Pooling all the old hardware up to get into this case

time to change out the tray on the drive from the hotswap enclosure

Install some motherboard standoffs.. (Ouch my fingers hurt thinking about this..)

Dont think this could get any tighter, e-atx in a mid tower YIKES!

Time to pull out the trusty zipties!!

this case doesnt do much for cable managment, but all im worried about is airflow so up up and away the extra cables get ziptied to the ceiling

heres a picture of it all up and running, there in the middle is the front panel connections

Awe they look so nice together!

also my my I love the front panel lights, they do so many things and the glowing power button is a nice tasteful cosmetic addition to a server chassis

So, overall id say that this case is pretty awesome and for the price really cant be beat, I think its one of the cheapest cases that fits e-atx and the space savings of a midtower over a full tower when im not adding anthing other than one HDD is pretty awesome. all put together the powersupply is the loudest part by far, but id say is just a little louder than the noctua's that were put into it (60mm noctua).

Airflow is pretty good I was thinking about adding the second fan to it but really see so reason why I should do so as with just the rear fan and the PSU it pulls quite a bit of air thru the front of the case.

still waiting on the flexfan from dimastech to arrive along with the 92mm panaflo so i can cool this NB adequately it needs a fan on it all the time..

Yep, I will be buying a second one for my other cruncher when I get the money together.

hope you liked my lame review, im not sure if anyone actually cares about my review or this case but i dont care lol..
    Last edited by NKrader; 12-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Watching

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

all built and up and running!

added pictures and a horrible example of a review

and here it sits crunching away and being stand in file server until I finish my lianli build
    Last edited by NKrader; 12-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Very nice build, NKrader.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Got the first one together and only waiting on parts from dimastech as the first one they sent was defective..
    Last edited by NKrader; 12-13-2013 at 10:14 AM.

just ordered chassis and final heatsink for the second cruncher! that one should be up and running around the end of next weeek!! (pending me actually getting linux working.. lol. which is pretty doubtfull that i could get it functioning in less than a week.. im guessing 2-3 hours to put the computer together and 2-3 months to get the OS working :p)

matching pair!