Thread: MSI GTX 770 Lightning + Afterburner SE?

Xtreme Addict

MSI GTX 770 Lightning + Afterburner SE?

Does anyone know where a mere mortal can acquire the mythical Lightning edition of Afterburner for unlocked voltage fun?

Or maybe a pre-modded BIOS for more volts, this card is just too sexy to be stuck with 1.2v.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

You have to send an E-Mail to your local MSI representative and request a copy of Afterburner Extreme. The procedure has been described at HWBot:

Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    Alright, decided to make a little sticky to help inform you guys how this Afterburner Extreme thing works.

First things first.

Afterburner Extreme is basically an unlocked version of the MSI Afterburner overclocking software. It gives a wider range of voltages and frequencies and is meant for extreme overclocking. Because it gives a wider range of voltage options, it's not available in public. I think you're all smart enough to understand this, right? We don't want Mister or Misses Newbie to use the AB Xtreme and enable 'full throttle' with 1.8V vgpu and 2G on air cooling.

So, what if you're an extreme(ly careful) overclocker and you want to use the Afterburner Extreme? Well, there's only one way to get a custom version: contact your local MSI rep and request a version. The local rep will then forward the request to HQ and HQ will feed the software back to local. Just so you know, HQ expects the local rep to be responsible for your actions. So, if you let HQ down by, for instance, sharing the Afterburner in public, you'll also get your local rep in trouble.

A few notes:

1) This software is considered pretty dangerous by the MSI warranty department. You, as overclocker, must understand that getting this software also means that you have to waive some rights like warranty on the cards you might or might not brick.

2) Although I applaud sharing within the community, the Afterburner Extreme is not meant to be shared. The .exe file contains not only your nickname, but also timestamps. In other words, if it gets out MSI might blacklist you from any future versions.

3) Don't expect your request to be approved instantly. As said before, this software is considered unsafe for regular users and MSI will only hand it out to overclockers they trust. So, when you're applying for a version, make sure both your local contact as HQ is convinced you can be trusted. With great power comes great responsibility.

4) Don't be an idiot. If you get the software, respect the NDA and other agreements. If you don't get it, don't start ranting in public how unfair you've been treated. Like I said before ... it's all about the trust!

5) Seriously, don't be an idiot.

6) Barbecue is nice in the summer, but a little strange in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtreme Mentor
    Follow the instructions here :

http://www.overclock.net/t/1398725/u...with-llc/0_100

Works very well.

Here's another thread you might find interesting: [Volt Bypass Guide] GTX 680 Lightning MSI Afterburner

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks all! I got some good info via PM as well.

I'd used the tools for temporary voltage increase but want something for 24/7 clock, which I was able to acquire.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770