Thread: Cooling solution for my laptop cruncher...

Xtreme Cruncher

Question Cooling solution for my laptop cruncher...

I have a relatively old Asus G51JX. It has the Core X 920 CPU(Extreme Edition.. woohoo). Anyway, as its wintertime I've turned on all of my crunchers yet again. My laptop's old cooling pad has bit the dust this year though. So now i'm shopping for a new one. I usually just watch a movie on my laptop if I'm using it, and I pretty much leave it on 24x7, so why not let it do a little crunching? Since it has an SSD I normally do CEP2 crunching exclusively since its hard disk intensive but my SSD lets me run 8 simultaneous threads without a problem.

Anyone know of any cooling pads that have replaceable fans? I really like the design of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER as the fans are movable and stuff, but they aren't replaceable. I do have the knowledge and skills to go rewire them if I needed to, but I was hoping to find a retail solution that does exactly what I want without needing to modify it.

Thanks!

-Josh

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Since it has an SSD I normally do CEP2 crunching exclusively since its hard disk intensive but my SSD lets me run 8 simultaneous threads without a problem.
    Won't running concurrent 8 x CEP2 threads put a lot of wear on your SSD..???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Technically, yes. But I've always used Intel SSDs and even my oldest SSDs say they'll reach "end of life" in 2024 or later. So I don't care if I wear them out sooner. Their lifespan(from my experience) is FAR longer than their useful life based on their size. Even my oldest SSD(Intel G2 installed in 2009) says 99% life remaining and I've used that for CEP2 for 2 winters now.

Xtreme Member
    Why not create a RAM drive for CEP2 and then have no probs? Just back up the image and crunch away.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Because my laptop is limited to 16GB of RAM and I can't allocate enough RAM to keep 8 tasks running simultaneously. I got a thread on the topic from a few years ago. :P