Thread: UP3214Q - it has arrived!

Xtreme Supporter

Talking UP3214Q - it has arrived!

UPDATE: I've posted some unboxing pics (per the many requests) and a couple of screenshots: https://picasaweb.google.com/1024327...eat=directlink Make sure to download and view the BF4 screenshots in full resolution.

+rep for the wife. Too bad I'll be busy the next couple of days - holiday thing and all.

Last edited by D749; 11-30-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    and then I

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    and then I
    For some reason the image you posted doesn't show up on the forum but it did show up in the email that I received. I do love their music videos. lol.

Xtreme Addict
    Very jelly...................so the trouble and strife bought you this ??
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    More pics in the future
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Member
    Could it be better, just dive in that vast sea of pixels

Take care of it so you don't get Quad-damage.

Xtreme Supporter
    I've updated my first post with a link to additional images. Enjoy.

Xtreme Monster
    @D749, What is your overall impression about it?

Given is a 3840 x 2160, I hope Dell launches a 3840 x 2400 model in the future.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post

16:10 is dead. You won't see 16:10 4K displays. 16:9 or 21:9 are likely the ratios you'll be seeing for now on.

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    @D749, What is your overall impression about it?

Overall I like it but the dead and bright pixels might kill it for me. I'm on my third display now due to dead and bright pixels. Most people probably wouldn't even noticed them but I can be picky at times - especially if spending $3,500 USD on a display. One thing I wish more display companies copied from Dell is the button and OSD setup - it's simply great. Dell also provides an application that allows you to control various display settings without having to actually touch the monitor. I really like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    16:10 is dead. You won't see 16:10 4K displays. 16:9 or 21:9 are likely the ratios you'll be seeing for now on.
    I also prefer 16:10 but I agree with the above.

Xtreme Supporter
    I recommend staying away from this display or any other 4K display - at least for now. I went through 3 displays before I said screw it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19535104.aspx

However, I will say that physically speaking the UP3214Q is quite nice and the OSD is simply excellent. Dell also provides a nice tool called Dell Display Manager, which while buggy for me while in MST mode, was awesome, when it worked correctly, for controlling various features of the display from within Windows.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that you had to return it 3 times, at least they made no fuss about the refund.

I suppose that's one of the issues of LCD tech still, dead pixels plague most screens and as we get higher and higher resolutions it only become more of an issue and nobody seems to offer a zero dead pixel policy anymore

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that you had to return it 3 times, at least they made no fuss about the refund.

I suppose that's one of the issues of LCD tech still, dead pixels plague most screens and as we get higher and higher resolutions it only become more of an issue and nobody seems to offer a zero dead pixel policy anymore
    Their return process was fairly painless. The bright side is that G-Sync displays are finally here. Time to try a few of those.

Xtreme Addict
    Bad luck D749, at least you got the $ back which could have been a very painfull process dealing with certain other suppliers

Maybe in a year or so when the tech is more mature might be the time to buy
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Bad luck D749, at least you got the $ back which could have been a very painfull process dealing with certain other suppliers

Maybe in a year or so when the tech is more mature might be the time to buy
    True. Dell has a great return and warranty program - at least that has been my experience.

Xtreme Supporter
    As some may know I went through three new Dell 4K (UP3214Q) displays. The number of pixel defects just didn't sit well with me considering the cost of the display. I also had a stand issue with one of the three displays. Eventually I had a full refund issued.

This week a Dell VP contacted me directly to let me know that they would be sending me a brand new Dell 4K display, which I was told was specifically inspected for defects, for me to keep at no charge.

I picked it up today. Normally they're not double boxed. This one looks like it was send directly from China to Dell at Texas and then to me.

I have to give props to Dell - well done!
    Last edited by D749; 01-03-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    ^ Damn thats a nice xmas pressie from Dell

wow...hats off to dell

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate