Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba to buy OCZ...

Xtreme Member
    If Toshiba is snatching up everything then that means they'll own PC Power and Cooling that Ocz bought a while back...deff one of the top 3 PSU makers tho they're most common in enterprise. I've had my PC P&C Mk III for a while now (now in it's 2nd rig) without issue.

@lutjens....man, what a pain in the ass. A little while back, Ocz made available a bootable iso version of the toolbox just for folks with arrays and/or non-Windows OSes. Makes flashing muuuch easier/faster. From what I understand, most issues re:SF in raid can be chalked up to power management issues between the drive, driver and OS...a lot of the Ocz FW updates for the V2's tried to deal with these power man. issues. As far as the MaxIOPS drives themselves...fantastic performance, probably the fastest SandForce 2281 drives ever. I still kick myself for getting a batch of regular V2's instead of just getting 2 MaxIOPs. You're spot when it comes to SF-2281 and nVidia chipsets...don't think they like each other much. Overall the MaxIOPs is the best drive model Ocz ever pulled off thanx to the speedy (and durable) 32nm toggle which is become totally extinct now...and second place going to the Vertex Limited Ed. (also SF-2281) and very capable 'drag racer' of a drive. Heh...I'm still kickin myself. I was told (warned) that these were gonna be gems on Ocz crown and when they're gone, they are GONE...I shoulda listened.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
    .deff one of the top 3 PSU makers tho they're most common in enterprise
    In the most recent quarter, OCZ had only $3.7 million of revenues from power supply and other product sales. Unfortunately, it appears there isn't much left to the PC Power and Cooling business.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    ^^ where's u avatar? the one you designed that it
    Not sure, guess it went to hell like rest of XS lately, page is slowly dying, and they are wondering why...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Mentor
    sucks to be a shareholder... but I suppose its good to be a customer....

personally i had a dozen or so SSds from OCZ and never got around to building that rig or registering those drives. I hope I don't run into issues as a result of not registering in time. Or I could just sell those drives on ebay... lets see what happens with this transition over to Toshiba.

I read in other forums the IP is not as valuable as people are claiming ? Is this is true or no ?

disclaimer: in the previous week I opened one position in OCZ of just 30 shares at $5 lol.... have no plans to sell or buy more in the next 72 hours

Xtreme Member
    Don't think you'll have a problem...as long as you can tell them where you bought your drive(s), they will process an RMA no prob...Tosh should honor warranties when it's all said and done.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 12/02/13 -- OCZ Technology Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: OCZ), a leading provider of high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today announced that the Company has signed an asset purchase agreement with Toshiba Corporation, a global technology leader and manufacturer of NAND flash memory, to acquire substantially all of OCZ's assets in a chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding for $35M. Under this agreement Toshiba will acquire OCZ's client and enterprise solid state drive business. OCZ will continue to operate and serve existing and future customers during this process. Toshiba has agreed to provide the Company with DIP (Debtor-in-Possession) financing to ensure that there is adequate capital and flash supply to support the business during the contemplated sale period. The consummation of the asset purchase agreement is subject to an auction and approval by the bankruptcy court in the Company's bankruptcy case.

This acquisition will provide Toshiba with access to OCZ's proprietary controllers, firmware and software, as well as the teams responsible for bringing these solutions to market, in addition to OCZ's established brand and sales channels. This strategic opportunity will bring critical controller IP and NAND supply all under one global organization, allowing for an even more robust and competitive solid state solution offering for all of OCZ's and Toshiba's mutual customers moving forward.

"Over the past year, OCZ has dealt with numerous issues which have stressed the company's capital structure and operating model, posing a challenge to achieving near term profitability. The combination of NAND flash supply constraints and credit issues have impacted our ability to satisfy the demands of our customers; this combined with increased pricing pressure in our industry have contributed to our on-going operating losses. On an operational basis, we completed a complex investigation, several restructurings and a multi-year restatement that added significantly to our working capital requirements," stated Ralph Schmitt, CEO of OCZ. "We have been working diligently on this partnership with Toshiba and we believe that this is the best outcome under our current corporate conditions."

"We are excited to participate in this opportunity. If our bid is successful, the combination of our leading NAND technology with OCZ's SSD expertise will allow us to further strengthen Toshiba's SSD business," said Mr. Seiichi Mori, Vice President of Toshiba's Semiconductor and Storage Company and Corporate Vice President of Toshiba. "We value OCZ's SSD business and technology in both the consumer and enterprise markets, and we are confident that it will reinforce our capabilities and help us to secure leadership in the SSD market."

This transaction has been approved by the Board of Directors of OCZ, and it is expected that the sale will close within approximately 60 days.
    http://ir.ocz.com/news/detail/3014

Xtreme Mentor
    sounds like all they really want is the SSD tech. and the rest is just a bonus.

Question is, what will they do with the OCZ brand ???

Xtreme Member
    Hope they keep it rollin'!

From Anand:

Toshiba Acquires OCZ's Assets for $35 million

Following last week's news of OCZ's bankruptcy filing, it's now official that Toshiba is acquiring OCZ's assets for $35 million cash. The agreement includes all of OCZ's client and consumer SSD business (controller IP, firmware, software and employees) and the acquisition is expected to be completed within the next 60 days. Unfortunately there is no official word on the fate of OCZ's other product groups (such as power supplies and cooling) but I've asked OCZ to clarify that and will update this post once I hear back.

The acquisition agreement includes a condition that Toshiba must provide OCZ with sufficient DIP (Debtor-in-Possession) financing in order for OCZ to keep the business going for the time being. In other words, OCZ's will continue to do business as normally but the press release doesn't reveal anything about what happens when the acquisition is completed. OCZ did tell us that warranties will be honored and their support status will remain unchanged but I'm waiting for OCZ to confirm that this also applies to the post-acquisition period (i.e. Toshiba would take responsibility of OCZ's warranties).

35M...pretty damn good price, esp since that includes all the Indilinx IP and the Barefoot 3 controller.

Guess we'll know more soon.

Update:

Here's a good read from SSD Review

Toshiba’s 35 Mil OCZ Purchase Re-Opens OCZ Doors, Reassures OCZ Customers and Provides Toshiba With A Great Controller
    Last edited by Zaxx; 12-03-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12