Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Mantle update...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftyman. View Post
    A funny thing occured to me just now... Isn't this a bit like 3DFX's Glide API? Or is that different?
    which chapter is the Sm in your avatar?
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Most interesting thing for me is Multi GPU scaling, should help the LAN machines with BF4+. I'd like to know if 4 Core PD/SR matches i5 4670K or any of the i7's, if it's the former then no 6/8 Core SR chips is an own goal.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    That would be Black Templar. I worked in a Games Workshop store for 2 years.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Of course it is also not a problem but a profit for me but i am sure Microsoft won't be so happy
    For sure, but i think WE as consumers would love to have alternative OSes that's good for gaming (performance and compatibility), especially if not costing in hundred of bucks, powered by widely adopted Mantle. M$ will react, and hopefully in a constructive way like improving their own proprietary API.
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

Xtreme Addict
    agree, if M$, don't react, they sign their own death.

Defered rendering was ...

To go on last powerfull graphics card at maximum you need a 1000$ CPU, and is still cpu bootleneck in some case.

Dev are loosing time to improve graphics engine CPU speed, instead of doing games, ...

Hope DICE with all that time thay won, will do a solo for BF5, ...

Xtreme Mentor
    Microsoft can't compete with a hardware manufacturer's api by improving their api. What they need to do is work with amd today or nvidia if they make something similar in the future while i think it will not be a wise idea for them.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD's Mantle API will work with at least 15 Frostbite-powered games

Jorjen Katsman, from Nixxes, the developer who is working on porting Thief to the PC, said that DirectX 11 has an overhead of around 40%, while Mantle has an overhead of just 8%. Katsman said that it's "not unrealistic that you'd get 20% additional GPU performance" with a Mantle-powered GPU.
    Read more at tweaktown
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Addict
    hoped fo 30

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    hoped fo 30
    That probably will be possible and beyond on apps that were specifically targeted with mantle in mind, but only on specific settings which gag DX.
    up to 20% on regular apps/settings however will put 290X on top of 780Ti easily
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Mantle looks to be the real deal.
    Hope to see GCN hardware really shine with its new API.
    Nice to AMD CPUs get some love,those overhead reduction look extremely positive.
    If you want to get rid of someone...lend them some money.

Xtreme Mentor
    Maybe all you got bored from what i am saying but i will say it again. If amd found a way that will easily and efficiently port console games to pc mantle then we will pass number 30 very fast.

And i believe linux api is ready but they are waiting for steambox first.

Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk

Xtreme Addict
    Will this be a software that you install in conjunction with the graphics driver (or bundled with)?

And most importantly: WHEN WILL WE GET IT???
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Well, a 20% it is not so much, but thinking in mantle right now when there will not be much games with this API in the next months/year and also with that little improvement, should not worry too much to nvidia.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Will this be a software that you install in conjunction with the graphics driver (or bundled with)?

And most importantly: WHEN WILL WE GET IT???
    i am pretty sure they will bundle it like opencl and who knows maybe we already got it

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersh View Post
    Well, a 20% it is not so much, but thinking in mantle right now when there will not be much games with this API in the next months/year and also with that little improvement, should not worry too much to nvidia.
    %20 may not seem much but believe me it is much also mantle's only advantage may not be fps gains it may also help to minimize frame delay differences and other things that may lead to more smooth gaming.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    %20 may not seem much but believe me it is much also mantle's only advantage may not be fps gains it may also help to minimize frame delay differences and other things that may lead to more smooth gaming.
    Agree. since 5 years, they did some strange stuff about rendering engine, they introduced a lot of delay. Maybe Games looks more beautifull, but delay kill all. And more the game move, more it's critic. What the point to have 100 fps if you have 100ms between your mouse and your screen, ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersh View Post
    They shoud not be worry, they should be embracing it (a little humility will make you go a long long way). both GPU mArchs from each respective major IHVs are not too different nowadays, as AMD's GPU gets more programmable, nVidia's one gets more parallelized doing away with hot clock & getting more CUDA cores. I also believe nVidia engineers are top notch professionals who can make the best possible adaption of Mantle into their work. And while we're at it, it would be amazing should AMD & nVidia cross license True Audio & G-Sync, which will benefit us all. Not to mention if PhysX can be ported into a maturing OpenCL or DirectCompute (such as TressFX which is available to us all).

But knowing Jen Hsun Huang, i really went overboard with all of those "optimisms", or shall we say, fantasies.
    Rig:

4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    So, Mantle API ---> extensions ---> GPU mArch, it's not locked to GCN only, not even AMD only. And it can be used continuously as GPU mArch evolved, as long the extensions are developed. Correct ? If that so, BRAVO AMD !
    Hmm, judging from this excerpt:

.........First the big one. According to multiple sources, including Johan Anderrson from DICE, Mantle is a thin layer abstraction that sits over hardware, not an AMD-specific product. There's no reason NVIDIA couldn't use Mantle in future products and, not surprisingly, multiple speakers at the event expressed interest in seeing that happen at some point in the future...........
    http://hothardware.com/News/How-AMDs...-AMD-Hardware/

I think i have got the answer of my question.

Too bad, there's no TECHNICAL reason, but one egotistical REASON would be enough to wash all that hope away (like one thousand reasons to buy a consumer gaming graphic card).
    Last edited by spursindonesia; 11-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Rig:

4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    He is a Black Templar. Don't play the tabletop myself, just enjoy the lore/videogames. Though I feel decidedly more Ork-y these days than Space Marine
    Last edited by Craftyman.; 11-14-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    Hmm, judging from this excerpt:

http://hothardware.com/News/How-AMDs...-AMD-Hardware/

I think i have got the answer of my question.

Too bad, there's no TECHNICAL reason, but one egotistical REASON would be enough to wash all that hope away (like one thousand reasons to buy a consumer gaming graphic card).

I don't believe this time, it's gonna be the same. Nvidia is Egoist, we all know. They don't want share their work. Mantle look promissing, really. Why nvidia would let AMD a step way ahead in performance without any technical reason, but just that they wouldn't licence AMD's technology, that is gonna be cheap or even free ? +20% on GPU, mean a 7950 would fire on same level as titan in BF4 ...

This is gonna be funny no ? The difference of price is HUGE !!!!, almost nobody have a Titan, because of the price, but a looooooooooooooot of people still have a 7950, or even 78xxx.

They will improve a lot with mantle, and they are so cheap. if nVidia don't accept to play that game, they are gonna loose the leadership for 5 years at least. 5 years in graphic time is very very very lonnnnng

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftyman. View Post
    He is a Black Templar. Don't play the tabletop myself, just enjoy the lore/videogames. Though I feel decidedly more Ork-y these days than Space Marine
    yeah the love for gorgutz and his minions is without boundaries.

on that note have you tried DOW Pro? and to keep in in topic... will the defunct THQ make a mantle graphics engine for a 10 year old game?... just trying to keep relevant to the topic

Xtreme Addict
    People upgrade their gpus for 20 percent wth are you talking about lol nice gain if it is true kudos to amd
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Addict
    Craftyman knows well

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    People upgrade their gpus for 20 percent wth are you talking about lol nice gain if it is true kudos to amd
    Free upgrade, by the way. Anyone who has a GCN gets free 20 percent.

Disclaimer: It might not be 20 percent but hell... who the hell pushes away free performance? I do that with all my games. Tone down the useless post-processing that did absolutely nothing to quality, set to no AA, and use SMAA for everything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    Free upgrade, by the way. Anyone who has a GCN gets free 20 percent.

Disclaimer: It might not be 20 percent but hell... who the hell pushes away free performance? I do that with all my games. Tone down the useless post-processing that did absolutely nothing to quality, set to no AA, and use SMAA for everything.
    It's understood that your mileage will vary depending on situation, but i think it will help a lot in the low FPS situation. Say, average FPS "only" jumps by 20% (what, 50 FPS to 60 FPS ?) but lowest FPS shoots up THREE TIMES (like what Oxide guys talking in their presentation) from 15 FPS to 45 FPS, the game would be much more enjoyable.
    Rig:

4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf

Xtreme Addict
    the cpu usage is the best news for old cpu owners