Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Mantle update...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hope people are patient with Mantle. It seems to have much potential.
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Amen to that.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    i agree, people tend to forget that mantle is being tested against the 11th version of directx. Considering that mantel looks very promising.

Xtreme Addict
    its not even that....
    something that's just come out of the developers den is already competing and beating something which has been refined for well over a decade.

when you put things into perspective it becomes apparent quite quickly the potential of Mantle.

only if the "I want it now and I want it FREE" generation stopped complaining.....
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    its not even that....
    something that's just come out of the developers den is already competing and beating something which has been refined for well over a decade.

when you put things into perspective it becomes apparent quite quickly the potential of Mantle.

only if the "I want it now and I want it FREE" generation stopped complaining.....
    But they expect everything now and don't want to work hard to get it.

Xtreme Mentor
    still the question is why we didn't see performance gains in bf4 with 7xxx series. optimizations ok but will all the overhead reduced by mantle we should have seen some. we need a good explanation from amd about this. i believe this answer will make us understand mantle better.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    still the question is why we didn't see performance gains in bf4 with 7xxx series. optimizations ok but will all the overhead reduced by mantle we should have seen some. we need a good explanation from amd about this. i believe this answer will make us understand mantle better.
    Simple, DICE optimized it more towards GCN 1.1 than GCN 1.0. Heck, DICE themselves said it's not optimized for 7xxx. So you're questioning something that has been answered.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    Simple, DICE optimized it more towards GCN 1.1 than GCN 1.0. Heck, DICE themselves said it's not optimized for 7xxx. So you're questioning something that has been answered.
    You misunderstood his point. At a fundamental level mantle should enable CPU overhead reductions before optimizations (he even used that word). He is hoping that if AMD provides an explanation we'll have a better understanding of why architecturally speaking GCN 1.0 can't (as in possibly unable to under any circumstances) leverage mantle like GCN 1.1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
    You misunderstood his point. At a fundamental level mantle should enable CPU overhead reductions before optimizations (he even used that word). He is hoping that if AMD provides an explanation we'll have a better understanding of why architecturally speaking GCN 1.0 can't (as in possibly unable to under any circumstances) leverage mantle like GCN 1.1.
    Perhaps, but do you have any numbers for GCN 1.0 coupled with a weak GPU and compared direct3d and Mantle against each other to back that up? All the reviews I see on the Internet are on 290x. In my defense, this sentence -> "optimizations ok but will all the overhead reduced by mantle we should have seen some" is pretty damn hard to understand.

EDIT: Actually, here you go. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...4-mantle-live/ . GCN 1.0 is seeing performance increase with CPU limited scenarios. I'm pretty sure he meant GPU-limited scenarios, then.

Also, someone needs to ask what is Johan's driver's smoking for it to be able to run CFX. Many are saying that CFX isn't working with Mantle.
    Last edited by blindbox; 02-10-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thank you mutantmagnet believe me i can't express it anywhere near that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I answered you as well as of above (sorry for being edit-happy). GCN 1.0 works well with Mantle for reducing CPU overhead, contrary to your belief.

Xtreme Member
    From blindbox's link, "Level was tested with 64 ?pseudo players? that we have for our own internal testing that simulates heavy game workload that we have in multiplayer in order to get more deterministic results compared to full real multiplayer. "

We need that 'test', a deterministic performance analysis tool for MP would be great for comparing system configuration results.

I mean obviously AMD if you want us to be able to see how Mantle is improving performance we need to use the Scientific Method which requires a deterministic test...I would have totally took the time to bench my system and publish/post the results for everyone one to see = free advertising...AMD, you listening?

The test would require a server sending pre-determined updates/pseudo player actions to a client were you would bench from...so we would probably need a server software running to do this.
    Last edited by DefStar; 02-10-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    its not even that....

So true.

Microsoft DirectX became competitive against 3DFx Glide only with the 5th revision.

Xtreme Member
    Why does Mantle use so much Memory ? it's Terrible!!
    CPU : Athlon X2 7850,Clock:3000 at 1.20 | Mobo : Biostar TA790GX A2+ Rev 5.1 | PSU : Green GP535A | VGA : Sapphire 5770 Clock:910,Memory:1300 | Memory : Patriot 2x2 GB DDR2 800 CL 5-5-5-15 | LCD : AOC 931Sw

Quote Originally Posted by behrouz View Post
    If it doesn’t something else, who cares?? Besides, now average Joe will be making the right choice when choosing a VGA with 3483484334 of RAM!!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    It was just to keep an eye on temps and compare memory usage and GPU usage compared to DX11.
    Yup, I always use afterburner's OSD to watch my temps to...i'm always paranoid my water pump will give out since it is so quite I can't here it.

@STEvil, yeah...14.2 drivers will hopefully take care of us GCN 1.0/7000 series...I'm pretty confident they will as AMD stated they will, its just takes time to optimize and bug test. Ever since they released that Frame Pacing driver I've been pretty impressed with AMDs driver team.

blindbox's link shows that they have optimized 7000 series some, but no one else (I've heard of) has been able to use that test to verify those results.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by behrouz View Post
    Hopefully it use the right memory usage, linked to cores / threads use.. lol....
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    From blindbox's link, "Level was tested with 64 ?pseudo players? that we have for our own internal testing that simulates heavy game workload that we have in multiplayer in order to get more deterministic results compared to full real multiplayer. "

We need that 'test', a deterministic performance analysis tool for MP would be great for comparing system configuration results.

I mean obviously AMD if you want us to be able to see how Mantle is improving performance we need to use the Scientific Method which requires a deterministic test...I would have totally took the time to bench my system and publish/post the results for everyone one to see = free advertising...AMD, you listening?

The test would require a server sending pre-determined updates/pseudo player actions to a client were you would bench from...so we would probably need a server software running to do this.
    I believe you would need multiple systems to create such a repeatable test. I don't know how many you would need, but essentially you would have to have multiple copies of BF4 running, run scripts to make bots run around in the same way each time, then run a script for the system you are benchmarking. It would be rather complex and expensive. The less precise way, but much easier, is to do multiple long tests of someone playing BF4 and doing an average of these sessions to give you a number. Over a long enough period of time you should be able to iron out most non-repeatable elements and get a ballpark figure for performance comparison.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    I believe you would need multiple systems to create such a repeatable test. I don't know how many you would need, but essentially you would have to have multiple copies of BF4 running, run scripts to make bots run around in the same way each time, then run a script for the system you are benchmarking. It would be rather complex and expensive. The less precise way, but much easier, is to do multiple long tests of someone playing BF4 and doing an average of these sessions to give you a number. Over a long enough period of time you should be able to iron out most non-repeatable elements and get a ballpark figure for performance comparison.
    No, if you wrote a program that 'mimicked' a server and that program just followed a script and always sent the same information to the client...then you would have a deterministic benchmark. You wouldn't need multiple clients logged into the server. Think of how Sacred 2 runs a server and a client on your pc at the same time. On the client end, the client would not even have to interact with anything...just receive server messages and benchmark the session. How Dice does it I have no Idea.

I was just thinking of doing a few DX11 server matches and then a few Mantle server matches and then taking the average of those...or within the same match, a few 3 minutes periods of DX11 and Mantle alternating between the two and then taking the averaGE of those. But I shouldn't need to go through that much trouble to bench mark Mantle when it is AMD who needs to promote Mantle and thus needs to provide us with deterministic analysis tools...AMD providing a test allowing the community to promote and advertise would not be expensive, it would be beneficial to AMD.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    I answered you as well as of above (sorry for being edit-happy). GCN 1.0 works well with Mantle for reducing CPU overhead, contrary to your belief.
    i don't believe so. Most of the users sees no difference (like me), for some problems begin (as expected for a beta) and a little reported performance gains but they can be wrong (because of testing methods) or just exceptions. also at the begining ea excluded 7970 and 280x from mantle support but then amd came and said no we will it will support them but we are going to make optimizations for them seems like a confession to me about 7xxx series. but actually all these are not that important for general mantle impression on mantle but i want to know what is happening to understand mantle better (as much as i can of course).

I am Xtreme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCeNzgiJ8I

Its a presentation from the steamworks devs days talking about driver overhead reduction on ogl, its by nvidia but its pretty general about ogl.

If its get things done as nice as the presentation suggests mantel is pretty much meaningless, since ogl is multi platform, supported by pretty much every major graphics vendor and much on the instructions are already in current hardware and only needs to be exposed by the driver.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCeNzgiJ8I

Its a presentation from the steamworks devs days talking about driver overhead reduction on ogl, its by nvidia but its pretty general about ogl.

If its get things done as nice as the presentation suggests mantel is pretty much meaningless, since ogl is multi platform, supported by pretty much every major graphics vendor and much on the instructions are already in current hardware and only needs to be exposed by the driver.
    Thanks for bringing tht up but it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the thread title.

If you want to discuss nvidia ogl then I strongly suggest you start a new thread.

Bringing this point up in this thread is simply PROVOKING trouble.

Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

I am Xtreme
    yeah it has nothing to do with except that this is exactly the same thing as mantle does, reducing driver overhead and giving the developers easier times in optimize there games/applications.

Hey and its not like OGL hasn't already been mentioned and compared to mantle over a dozen times in this thread.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    yeah it has nothing to do with except that this is exactly the same thing as mantle does, reducing driver overhead and giving the developers easier times in optimize there games/applications.

Hey and its not like OGL hasn't already been mentioned and compared to mantle over a dozen times in this thread.
    You REALLY think that, if OpenGL allowed such low level to the metal coding AMD would even bother with this whole mantle thing ?

If someone thinks logically, only real answer is, no.So, it must mean that AMD could not get same results with OpenGL.

Also as for GCN 1.0 optimizations, to me it looks its right there, not as stellar as GCN 1.1 but still , with a weak cpu you will see gains.

Last edited by vario; 02-11-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    You REALLY think that, if OpenGL allowed such low level to the metal coding AMD would even bother with this whole mantle thing ?

If someone thinks logically, only real answer is, no.So, it must mean that AMD could not get same results with OpenGL.

Also as for GCN 1.0 optimizations, to me it looks its right there, not as stellar as GCN 1.1 but still , with a weak cpu you will see gains.

I think you missed his whole point.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast